Power Cab Stack Size

Post all your DCC only problems, solutions and discoverys here.
kebang

Power Cab Stack Size

Postby kebang » Sat Nov 28, 2015 7:10 am

3yrs ago I purchased a new Power Cab. I waited a month prior to the purchase as at the time NCE were upgading the stack from 2 to 6. I found the 6 stack very useful. A year later a severe earthquake severely damaged my home & destroyed my railway.

Home finally rebuilt & a new layout has been constructed. I ordered a brand new Power Cab from Hattons. It arrived yesterday & I was surprised to see that the box sleeve was a little scuffed and the box was not sealed (the previous one had been). Plugged it in & started programming locos. Everything seemed perfect & the locos ran fine.

Then I selected 4 locos one after the other. I pressed recall & only the last 2 entries showed up.

I've emailed NCE to query this. However at the time of ordering Hattons were offering a pre owned unit in 'As New' condition. I did not want this. I residing in the Philippines & it is difficult & costly to remedy faults. I also wanted to make sure I had a 6 stack unit. I've complained to Hattons & I'm awaiting replies from both them & NCE. Does anyone know if NCE has reduced the size of the stack during the last 3yrs?
Brian

SRman

Re: Power Cab Stack Size

Postby SRman » Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:27 am

The recall stack update applies to version 1.65.

You have to set the number you want from the menus - Quote from the manual update: "There are now 6 recall slots for throttles. The number of recalls can be adjusted from 1-6 using the appropriate selection in the "SET CAB PARAMS" menu.
Factory default is 2 recalls."

kebang

Postby kebang » Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:59 am

Its working now...... :oops:

PinkNosedPenguin

Postby PinkNosedPenguin » Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:48 pm

SRman wrote:The recall stack update applies to version 1.65.

You have to set the number you want from the menus - Quote from the manual update: "There are now 6 recall slots for throttles. The number of recalls can be adjusted from 1-6 using the appropriate selection in the "SET CAB PARAMS" menu.
Factory default is 2 recalls."
Wow, I am so pleased I stumbled across this thread!!! I had always felt restricted by only being able to recall 2 loco addresses.
Out of interest I checked the version of my PowerCab and saw it was 1.65 :o. So I tried to set the stack size to 6 - and it worked :D. Wonder why I never knew about this before. Well pleased, many thanks SRman :mrgreen:

kebang

Postby kebang » Sat Nov 28, 2015 11:08 pm

In my defence I must point out on my original Power Cab, which was purchased just after the update, that the stack size was set to 6,straight out of the box, so I didn't realise it was adjustable...

PinkNosedPenguin

Postby PinkNosedPenguin » Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:07 am

Nor did I kebang - thats what I'm pleased to now know :D

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:52 pm

Glad you got it sorted, you should compare notes with GWR_fan about the condition of stock arriving from Liverpool!
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

BromsMods

Postby BromsMods » Sun Nov 29, 2015 4:46 pm

kebang wrote:In my defence I must point out on my original Power Cab, which was purchased just after the update, that the stack size was set to 6,straight out of the box, so I didn't realise it was adjustable...

That's very strange as all new NCE ProCabs and PowerCabs I have come across have always had the recall stack set to the default value of 2, and I have sold a lot!!

mjb1961

Postby mjb1961 » Sun Nov 29, 2015 7:29 pm

BromsMods wrote:
kebang wrote:In my defence I must point out on my original Power Cab, which was purchased just after the update, that the stack size was set to 6,straight out of the box, so I didn't realise it was adjustable...

That's very strange as all new NCE ProCabs and PowerCabs I have come across have always had the recall stack set to the default value of 2, and I have sold a lot!!

That's correct ,I've had my powercab a year and half and bought it new and had to change it to 6 ,it's also version 1.65,,,

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Sun Nov 29, 2015 7:38 pm

Bufferstop wrote:Glad you got it sorted, you should compare notes with GWR_fan about the condition of stock arriving from Liverpool!

To be fair to the box shifters anything that I have purchased that is obviously used has been purchased as used condition. My complaint has been new locomotives arriving as 'shake the box' kits. Others though have received obviously used/returned items sold as new. I have received locomotives with obvious run marks on the wheel treads. Whether this is indicative of testing at the manufacturing stage or in the shop itself is beyond me. That said, thirty plus years ago I used to receive mail order rolling stock purchases from a well known local Aussie dealer at the time, with dirt on the wheel treads from running on dirty track. Why the dealer would see the need to test rolling stock is a mystery to me, making me wonder if the items were actually new? I remember when questioned that he stated that the items arrived from the manufacturer in that condition.

I have a 10 amp NCE wireless system that from memory (it was a few years ago) arrived set for a six stack capability. I could be wrong though. Thumbing through the overly thick NCE manual to reset the stack size was perhaps beyond my capabilities of comprehension or attention span at the time which leads me to believe it may have been set to six rather than two.
Personally, I was not a fan of cab stacking. It is fine for those with limited locomotives to run, but in my case I found that with testing new loco builds the stack was superfluous.

It would have been nice if NCE had a quickstart manual with just the basics like setup and programming and left the nice to know things like consisting in another manual for those who wished to delve deeper into the mysteries of digital control.

Bigglesof266

Postby Bigglesof266 » Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:15 pm

GWR_fan wrote:Others though have received obviously used/returned items sold as new.

Recycled domestic market returned items which have been 'pre-fiddled with' are my beef with Hattons as well, to the point eHattons are now a non-preferred source where any economically equitable alternative is available. Locos in the particular, including train packs are the primary culprit items, although Oxford/Pocketbond/EFE vehicles feature frequently too. Obvious cosmetic flaws, damage or some malfunctioning mechanical or electrical aspect needing investigation and repair or replacement are typical.

Over the past seven years I've had more than my fair share of the above. One or two might reasonably be considered QC or unlucky coincidence, but the repetition, number and nature of issues make it abundantly obvious the majority of such items complained of are recycled returns or unsaleable as "new" as received ex-manufacturer items which would be returned immediately by the customer in the UK domestic market if sent out in that condition. Given the tyranny of distance, AU/NZ appears to provide a convenient dumping ground preferential to return to manufacturer in the knowledge the exorbitant postage cost of Airmail returns, which Hattons T&C specifically does NOT cover for International returns (read them before disbelief or criticism), extended turnaround time, sheer inconvenience and effort involved in exercising right of return. I don't care for the fact that one is at Hatton's staff largesse if you don't want to return by Surface mail (read the T&C) which has caused unnecessary unpleasantness and problems for me previously on more than a single occasion with their 'returns department' knob-end employed there at one time (neither know nor care if he still is) despite having phoned beforehand, discussed and made a pre-arrangement for authorised return by Airmail with senior staff member/s given that the faults were wholly theirs. Regardless one still has to up front the significant impost of International postage. Most saliently, I resent being put through an interrogation inferring my complaint about the condition in which the product was received is anything but genuine when I have spent so much money and purchased so many items from them consistently over the recent past despite only returning but a fraction of the items I should and would have were I a UK resident receiving them in same said less than new pristine condition.

Hence in 2015, eHattons can take a hike AFAIC, in the particular when it comes to purchasing locos, train packs or diecast.

Their 'selectable' "show pre-owned" filter which is deliberately dysfunctional was the final nail that pushed my business elsewhere.

FTR I purchased both of my NCE systems, 5A Wi-Fi Power House and 2A PowerCab from Tony's Trains and Jims Trains in the US. Most of my ESU kit came from the US as well. Faultless US standards of customer service, and always NIB kit.

Richard Lee

Postby Richard Lee » Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:37 am

As a resident of Bulgaria, I found Bigglesof266 post interesting. In previous years, I have found Hattons impeccable. This year I have had some issue with every order. The order that I received today included a new Dapol wagon. One coupling was okay apart from the coupling hook being detached. The other coupling was in pieces. The box was not sealed.

Fortunately, I don't use tension locks, and so replaced the couplings with Kadees. If I was a tension lock user, I would have been irritated.

Oh, and the second hand loco doesn't run at all well. It was sold as having a bit of cosmetic damage, but not as a non-runner.

SRman

Postby SRman » Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:45 am

GWR_fan wrote:
Bufferstop wrote:Glad you got it sorted, you should compare notes with GWR_fan about the condition of stock arriving from Liverpool!

<snipped>

I have a 10 amp NCE wireless system that from memory (it was a few years ago) arrived set for a six stack capability. I could be wrong though. Thumbing through the overly thick NCE manual to reset the stack size was perhaps beyond my capabilities of comprehension or attention span at the time which leads me to believe it may have been set to six rather than two.
Personally, I was not a fan of cab stacking. It is fine for those with limited locomotives to run, but in my case I found that with testing new loco builds the stack was superfluous.

It would have been nice if NCE had a quickstart manual with just the basics like setup and programming and left the nice to know things like consisting in another manual for those who wished to delve deeper into the mysteries of digital control.

The first part of the NCE manual (around 12 pages or so, from memory) is the quick start bit, then it goes into detail.

The 10 amp and 5 amp Power Pro systems have always had the 6 recall capability, for each controller attached (Power Cab or Pro Cab).

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:50 pm

SRman,
many thanks. It is the sheer bulk of the NCE manual that is intimidating.

Return to “DCC Forum”