DCC and electrofrog turnouts

Post all your DCC only problems, solutions and discoverys here.
mev

DCC and electrofrog turnouts

Postby mev » Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:09 am

My layout is DCC and I decided to alter one end to improve running and changed a couple of insulfrog points for electrofrog (PECO code 100).
I am now having great trouble with shorting and not sure what I'm doing wrong. One of the new right/hand electrofrog points is part of an oval where the right hand curve of the point is part of the oval and the straight on connects to a siding. When the point is set for the right hand curve (part of the oval) there is no short and loco's will work. When it is set for straight ahead (i.e. for the siding, it doesn't matter what I connect to it... another point , straight, or nothing, the system will not work saying there is a short.
Any ideas?
Attachments
20150317_204411-1-1-1-1-1.jpg
20150317_204411-1-1-1-1-1.jpg (435.67 KiB) Viewed 1872 times

Roger (RJ)

Re: DCC and electrofrog turnouts

Postby Roger (RJ) » Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:18 pm

You need to fit two insulated rail joiners where shown in RED (the frog rails). You may then need to fit extra power feeds to the rails shown in BLUE and WHITE. The White feeds may not be needed but it won't hurt to add them anyway.

Feeds.jpg
Feeds.jpg (169.79 KiB) Viewed 1863 times

I would also try to smooth out the joints between your pieces of track which look quite sharp or strained. Trains will often derail or run badly on kinks like those and when they are next to points it can be even worse.

Free_at_last

Postby Free_at_last » Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:41 pm

You would think that Peco would explain the need for fitting insulated rail joiners in their instructions.
Pete.
Gauge is not spelt guage. Remember to put another "m" in remeber. Manufacturers has two "r"s in.
When you buy something, you have bought it, not brought it.
Before you post, are you really LOL and do you NEED to tell us?

mev

Postby mev » Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:17 pm

Roger, thank you for that. Will put that right.. (bet I haven't got insulated joiners handy!)
So will the same apply to the elecrofrog point shown at the top of the photo...insulated joiners on the frog rails?

Roger (RJ)

Postby Roger (RJ) » Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:13 pm

Yes, you should always fit IRJs and track feeds after them. There can be exceptions to this rule if the point leads to a dead end.
Didn't the points come with a leaflet explaining how to wire them?

mev

Postby mev » Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:57 pm

Thanks, Roger.
Yes, went and bought insulated rail joiners, tried that and , of course, it worked.
I have looked at the back of the turnout packet again and I should have been able to work it out, though it would have been helpful if the instructions had used the term 'insulated rail joiners' on the diagram itself. It says, 'Connect power feeds and joiners to Electrofrog turnouts as shown. This turnout can be used without modification for DCC.' There follows a diagram showing the power feeds and the diagram does show the frog rails with a gap cut across the rail. I must admit that I had overlooked that element of the diagram, though in my own defence as a relative novice, it would have been useful if the 'break' on the diagram had been accompanied by the words 'insulated rail joiner'. There is a key to the symbols at the bottom of the piece of card but I didn't get that far in my eagerness to get things moving (or not!) I guess I also read too much into 'can be used without modification for DCC'!
Thanks for your patience.

Roger (RJ)

Postby Roger (RJ) » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:07 pm

Glad to hear it's sorted.

Tom@Crewe

Postby Tom@Crewe » Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:58 pm

I am glad you sorted the shorting out and I am about to start laying the OO code 75 peco electrofrog points and have a question.

The back of the packet shows the instructions for wiring them But is says to cut the link under the track!

I can see cutting it would prevent shorting from a loco bridging the open blade to the outer track but cutting it makes the closed blade open circuit if the contact between the blade and the track gets dirty.

I have laid 'N' gauge points in the past with no option to cut a link with no problem with shorting.

So is it actually an advantage to cut or not to cut the little link's??
Never enough time...........

Catweasel

Postby Catweasel » Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:07 pm

With Peco points, I cut the links to the frog. I also solder bridging wires from the blade to the stock rail. Don't have any problems with short wheelbase loco's. I've laid all my track with insulated joiners, no metal at all. Therefore, with DCC, I have half a dozen districts separate from each other.

Tom@Crewe

Postby Tom@Crewe » Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:18 pm

That's even better there is even a space to put the linking wire ready made. Thank you Catweasel :D

Another thought I am using the center hole for the point motor, do I leave the outer parts of the points actuating rods or cut them off?
Never enough time...........

RFS

Postby RFS » Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:03 pm

If you have no intention of operating the points manually, or fitting side-mounted point motors, I would cut them off. That's what I do with mine because they don't look very prototypical with their thumbs in the air! :D
Robert Smith

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:19 pm

Yes cut the outside end of the point tie bar. If you push the blades across to the right you can cut off anything showing outside the left hand rail and vice versa. I'd suggest you don't do it until the ballast is laid. Then there won't be any problem with the ballast preventing the blades from moving. I would have thought that the lumps could be eliminated at least from Streamline points. Two small holes would be more useful.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Return to “DCC Forum”