Worse Runner with the Body On

Post all your DCC only problems, solutions and discoverys here.
Dave4468

Worse Runner with the Body On

Postby Dave4468 » Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:50 pm

I've finally got round to getting some DCC set up and I am already confused. I've got a GM Prodigy Express system.

I've chipped my first loco (Bachmann Burton Hall) with a normal 8 pin Bachmann chip. When I test or run it without the body on it runs and the motor sounds fine, as soon as I put the body on the motor makes a loud buzzing noise and it runs appallingly, only really responding to full power and needing a push to move. Can't fathom any reason why, suggestions?
Time to restart this...

Flashbang

Re: Worse Runner with the Body On

Postby Flashbang » Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:44 pm

Suggest something is binding or being trapped by the refitted body?
[Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Broken? It was working correctly when I left it.

Dave4468

Postby Dave4468 » Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:52 pm

I thought that and did notice that the wires from the socket running underneath the motor looks like they were slightly foul of the rear driver. Electrical taped them out of the way and its slightly improved but still poor.
Time to restart this...

Brossard

Postby Brossard » Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:18 pm

The extra wires frequently cause me problems. I suggest you look for areas of tightness and try removing material from inside to relieve it. I just had a similar problem and some judicious pruning resolved things. Another thing is that if the body screws are too tight, the chassis can twist slightly (more an issue with kit built than RTR), so try loosening them a bit.

John
John

alex3410

Postby alex3410 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:07 am

if room inside is an issue i tend to cut off the wires that are not in use (function wires) to reduce the amount that needs to fit

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:39 am

It can be a pain, but I'm with you on that one Alex. I'm quite good with a super-fine soldering
iron & remove all unwanted leads, particularly from hard wired locos where I just need 4 wires.
On others I always remove the spare, don't want a loose electrical lead floating around inside.

A loud buzzing from the motor when on DCC - that dosen't sound good at all. I'd be looking for
fouling on moving parts, or even damaged decoder wiring from being trapped - check the condition
of all wires, they are quite thin.

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Flashbang

Postby Flashbang » Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:42 am

alex3410 wrote:if room inside is an issue i tend to cut off the wires that are not in use (function wires) to reduce the amount that needs to fit

Yes I too, but I don't remove them at the decoders PCB. I try and leave them about 10 to 20mm long. So as if the decoder is ever reused or lighting etc added at a later date you can still determine which wire is which and make soldered and then insulated joints onto their ends. Make sure the free ends are insulated and can't foul anything though. Accidentally turning on F0 etc will make them live!
[Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Broken? It was working correctly when I left it.

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:13 am

Dave4468 wrote:I thought that and did notice that the wires from the socket running underneath the motor looks like they were slightly foul of the rear driver. Electrical taped them out of the way and its slightly improved but still poor.

So you still have mechanical binding.

With body on, try the freedom of movement of each driven wheelset. They should move freely side to side, and rotate slightly. Compare to a similar model which runs quietly and well. Any of them tight, if so your problem is a bind onto the wheelset(s) affected

Take the body off and look for what comes into contact with those wheelset(s) and rectify.

If all the driven wheels are 'loose' though, as they should be, the mechanical bind is inside. No shortcuts here, take the body off, remove decoder and put in blanking plug, test run on DC with body off and body on to make sure that you don't have a purely mechanical problem that's nothing to do with the decoder installation. Eliminate this possibility before getting into removing the aux decoder wires and making a better arrangement of the wiring bundle. Typically I wind it round the scoket and secure with electrical tape to keep it compact.

Return to “DCC Forum”