Converting Hornby Dublo 2-6-4 to DCC

Post all your DCC only problems, solutions and discoverys here.
Roger (RJ)

Re: Converting Hornby Dublo 2-6-4 to DCC

Postby Roger (RJ) » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:51 pm

Bigmet wrote:
................ More work to install, .................

This is not strictly true. All that is needed is to fit two insulated rail joiners to the frog rails. The points will work without doing anything else. However, for maximum reliability it is highly recommended to make the modifications which are well known and documented.

Matthew

Postby Matthew » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:03 pm

Hello again,

Having looked into the "stalling" vs "shorting" root cause more closely, I think that Bigmet is right. As my layout is completely ballasted, retrofitting a solution may prove difficult. However, I've built a separate test track with a couple of points on it and I'm going to have a play with that to see if I can (a) prove the root cause one way or the other and (b) find a fix. I'll let you know.

BTW, I tried my old Bachmann E-Z Command controller yesterday and the phenomenon still occurs. I appreciate that there's been no suggestion that it was a controller issue, but worth eliminating on of the variables nonetheless!

Matthew

Matthew

Postby Matthew » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:35 pm

Gentlemen,

I'm afraid to say that I'm giving up on this for the time being as I really can't see what the problem is. Rather ironically the loco now runs as sweet as a nut under DCC apart from when it goes over points! Thank you all for your attempts to help me with this - I appreciate it.

Matthew

3raildriver

Postby 3raildriver » Thu May 02, 2013 4:44 am

Why not try Access potocab.Its a radio control type system that being developed up over the borders.There looking at converting HD locos and have various mthods of controls.

David
Sure and Steadfast

krusty

Postby krusty » Thu May 02, 2013 3:54 pm

Did you try fitting Insulated fishplates to the Vee of the points on your test piece?
Krusty.

Matthew

Postby Matthew » Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:40 pm

Krusty,

To be perfectly honest, no I didn't. Despite all the good stuff which various folks very kindly posted, I didn't really understand what was needed. Pathetic I know but ..... ! At the moment I've sort of given up on this.

Thanks for your interest.

Matthew

Return to “DCC Forum”