Decoder For Black Beetle

Post all your DCC only problems, solutions and discoverys here.
OliverSR

Decoder For Black Beetle

Postby OliverSR » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:19 am

I need to DCC fit a Black beetle motor, I can see the wires connecting from pickups to the motor which I need to intercept but I was wondering what type of decoder is recommended for these motor bogies.
OliverSR

Bigmet

Re: Decoder For Black Beetle

Postby Bigmet » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:41 am

These had Mashima can motors last time I looked, so any halfway decent decoder will make it go alright as these motors are smooth running and have good torque from relatively low current draw. Personally I would choose a Lenz standard, unless the model also needed lots of auxiliary outputs for lights etc. Whatever decoder you find does a good job for you, if you like to have some consistency in what you install. (I like the convenience of never having to think 'what decoder type?' if I want to reprogramme a decoder.)

SRman

Re: Decoder For Black Beetle

Postby SRman » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:13 am

I have used TCS decoders with Black Beetle motor bogies. While not as good (or as expensive) as Lenz, they do provide good control at a reasonable price.

For single Black Beetles, a TCS M1 works well for me. For paired Black Beetles in one motor coach (as on my three Underground sets), one TCS T1 seems to do the trick.

Return to “DCC Forum”