Advice req'd on adding a decoder to an X04 motor

Post all your DCC only problems, solutions and discoverys here.
deeftrundle

Advice req'd on adding a decoder to an X04 motor

Postby deeftrundle » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:34 pm

I am thinking of adding a decoder to a mash-up resin model.
The motor is the old Triang X04 (a modified M7 chassis in fact).
There is room to put the decoder (on its edge) immediately behind the big magnet at the rear.

My knowledge of this stuff is pretty limited, and my question is:

Will the magnetic field from the magnet interfere with the decoder ?

Obviously I will insulate the decoder within some kind of sheath but how thick should this be,
or am I worrying unnecessarily ?

Bufferstop

Re: Advice req'd on adding a decoder to an X04 motor

Postby Bufferstop » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:13 pm

The magnet should be no problem. The live chassis maybe. First thing is to insulate both ends of the brush retaining spring. Remove any suppression components, may be just a capacitor, or a combination of capacitor and inductor, Identify the wire which comes from the pickups, that's one of your track connections, the other one will be a wire fastened to the metal chassis. Then you'll need two wires, each with a tag to go between the insulation on the brush springs and the brushes themselves. Those are your motor connection. Use a decoder recommended for higher current motors, and make sure it can't come into contact with any metalwork. Belt and braces, I'd put it in a sleeve and insulate the surfaces of the chassis with tape.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

deeftrundle

Postby deeftrundle » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:48 pm

Thanks. I do already have various articles along the lines you have indicated, but your contribution is appreciated.
I just had a worry that if I "strapped" the chip to the magnet, the field might interfere, but you have set my mind at rest on that one.
In terms of decoder I was considering the TCS Z2 or even a Hornby Sapphire depending on size.

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:32 pm

Measure the stall current at 12V. It can easily be past 1.25A ; whatever value you get that's the lowest continuous current supply that the decoder must be specified as able to deliver. This is because unless you have a really good XO4 in a chassis that isn't seriously worn, sometimes they don't start.

beeman
Location: Within earshot of the sea and the Paignton&Dartmouth

Postby beeman » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:31 pm

You may be disappointed, a neo magnet should improve but Xo4's are never good on DCC, often the commutators not true, evidence of sparking on DC.would confirm, but can be turned in a lathe if available, also balance is often questionable.designed/made when automation not so accurate as present offerings.If the loco is important to you I would consider changing for a modern day can type. Beeman.
You wo'nt find you 'CAN' unless you 'TRY'.

Return to “DCC Forum”