NCE - Additional power booster

Post all your DCC only problems, solutions and discoverys here.
BrotherWolf

NCE - Additional power booster

Postby BrotherWolf » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:13 pm

I've got a NCE Power Pro 5amp system and I'm hoping to seperate the power into two different sections. One for the up line and one for the down. According to the manual I need a NCE PB105 unit but can't seem to find one, Is a NCE DB3a Booster a suitable replacement? on the other hand if anyone knows of a different/better product can you let me know.

Cheers
BrotherWolf
Click the banner for my Smugmug site

Flashbang

Re: NCE - Additional power booster

Postby Flashbang » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:11 pm

Hi
If the existing 5Amp is ample for your needs (its a lot of power!) then simply split the 'TRACK' output into two or a dual output automatic overload unit, such as the PSX-1 or PSX-2 etc. PDF example These will provide their own independent overload cut-outs to each bus pair of wires. You can also use the PSX-AR too.
So a fault on one bus pair shouldn't interfere with the other bus nor the main unit.
[Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Broken? It was working correctly when I left it.

BrotherWolf

Postby BrotherWolf » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:35 pm

Cheers for the advice FB. That PDF you linked is 13 pages long! Is the PSX-2 more than a dual output automatic overload unit? At first glance it seems to be the same as a NCE EB1.
Click the banner for my Smugmug site

Flashbang

Postby Flashbang » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:13 am

Hi
Yes they are similar, the PSX range offers use adjustable current tripping and you can have two overload devices built in on one board e.g. PSX-2.

m8internet

Postby m8internet » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:36 am

Depends on the gauge

You firstly work out the maximum number of motors you expect to be operating
You then deduct this from the number of trains you have and calculate the minimum power drawn

In N gauge I had calculated I was able to handle 8 motors at any one time, so that was 8 x 1.0 Amp, 8.0 Amp
This left about 60 motors, so that was 60 x 0.1 Amp, 6 Amp
This gave a maximum of 14 Amp, and so I designed my layout on four sections of 5 Amp
However, in practice I didn't have any issues
It later transpired that the active motors weren't drawing anywhere near the 1.0 Amp, and the inactive ones were drawing near to nil
Glasgow Queen Street Model Railway layout : modern image N gauge using DCC

Flashbang

Postby Flashbang » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:32 pm

Hi
1.0Amp per running loco is a bit on the high side!
Modern loco motors shouldn't demand much more than around 250milliamp under load, older Ringfield or XO4 etc types of motors will consume slightly more (Max. old motors up to around 750ma if correctly serviced and probably much less).
Sound fitted locos with their sounds turned on will consume slightly more than a non sound fitted loco, but only by approx. a further <100milliamp.
I don't quite understand your calculations.....
Are you stating you have 68 locos all DCC fitted and sitting on DCC powered rails with 60 of them not moving?? That's a huge number of locos! But a static loco just sitting 'listening' to the DCC won't draw 100milliamp (0.1A) as you have stated, more like 15ma to 25ma (0.015A to 0.025A) per loco. Therefore worse case is 60 x 0.025 equals 1.5Amp!
I did state at the very beginning that.... "If the existing 5Amp is ample for your needs (its a lot of power!) then simply split the 'TRACK' output into two...."

Return to “DCC Forum”