Fitting sound to Bachmann Class 105

Post all your DCC only problems, solutions and discoverys here.
klaatu

Fitting sound to Bachmann Class 105

Postby klaatu » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:14 pm

I've fitted DCC decoders to locos before, but never with sound. I have a Bachmann Class 105, and a Loksound 4. According to the review of the cl 105 in Model Rail "space for a decoder - and sound unit if required - is neatly cast into the top of the metal block that surrounds the motor". Assured by this, I thought I would have no difficulty. Having taken the body off, I find that yes, there's a hole for a decoder, but it's far too small for the Loksound, and where on earth does the speaker go?

And to show how much out of my depth I am - the decoder came with a little plastic enclosure; I assume I have to fit this, as well as the speaker?

Any advice, please?

Steve
Just playing trains - not a "proper modeller"

IanP

Re: Fitting sound to Bachmann Class 105

Postby IanP » Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:24 am

Hi Steve, Like you I found no where for the speaker, but mine is the 108 not the 105, I guess they must be much the same inside. so how I did mine was to cut the seats in half and fit the speaker between the seats.
It does seem like your butchering it but if you cut the seats in half leaving a single seat each side next to the windows you can't really see the speaker once the body is back on.
Well unless you pick it up and stare through the windows.
While I was in there I fitted some passengers and the ones next to the speaker help hide it.

I take it you mean a enclosure for the speaker? yes you do need to fit this too, although I used a bass reflex in mine.
Hope that helps.

klaatu

Re: Fitting sound to Bachmann Class 105

Postby klaatu » Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:55 am

Thanks, Ian. In that case, I think I may well buy a different speaker, as it looks like it would be easier to fit a rectangular one (as well as giving better sound).

I'm going to email Model Rail and ask them what the "provisions" for sound are that they mention...

Steve
Just playing trains - not a "proper modeller"

Return to “DCC Forum”