Which controller?

Post all your DCC only problems, solutions and discoverys here.
m3lyc

Which controller?

Postby m3lyc » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:25 pm

Hi guys, the council refurb is finished and soon my bedroom will be decorated and I SHOULD be able to make space for a layout. Anyway I've been having a think and thought I may as well jump in and get in with the modern tech for layouts right away in order to "future proof" as it were. So my question is; which controller should I buy? I will be running two trains at the same time, but on seperate lines travelling in the opposite way to each other if you know what I mean so what I'll need right off the bat is a controller that can control two lines at the same time. I can easily save up for whatever, the Hornby Elite looks nice, and the ability to connect it to my pc and control it from optional software is VERY appealing, especially as I'm a bit of a technophobe and enjoy anything controlled by computer. Any others you guys would recommend? Also just seen the West Coast Railways Pullman Black 5 #44932, the full size version of which I'll be riding on to Scarborough next week. DCC ready, just buy a decoder. Awesome!

Lee.
Good things come to those who wait.... On that basis I should be able to start building my layout soon!

Bigmet

Re: Which controller?

Postby Bigmet » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:22 pm

Or possibly a technophile? (One who likes tech.)

Try to get 'hands on' with the kit you are interested in, technically it all does the basic job one way or another; but the control layout is not remotely standardised. Do you always want to sit in front of a console, or would a handset (tethered or wireless) so that you can move about freely be useful?

I don't want to dampen your enthusiasm, but 'DCC Ready' is sometimes not all it should be. There are locos out there which say DCC Ready on the box, but first you have a major wresting match just getting the body off for access to the decoder socket, and then you find that while the socket is present no thought was given to providing a void to accomodate the decoder. (No idea at all if the Hornby Black 5 falls into this category, assume not as it doesn't seem to be the subject of much comment for this.)It is always possible to get a decoder in, just takes a little cunning. (If you cannot solder, learning how to do electrical soldering is a major asset for DCC.)

m3lyc

Postby m3lyc » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:37 pm

Ah yes technophile, I stand corrected. Me and my muddled brain after a 10 hour shift! Not interested in a handset, and I'm on the computer most of the time I'm at home anyway so it would be ideal. I can solder, and have a kit. I was into rc cars for years.
Good things come to those who wait.... On that basis I should be able to start building my layout soon!

poliss

Postby poliss » Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:15 am

The Roco Z21 is the newest thing in town. http://www.gaugemaster.com/Roco/RC10810 ... nglish.pdf

m3lyc

Postby m3lyc » Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:22 am

£355? No thanks! Lol.

poliss

Postby poliss » Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:28 am

That's the best one I know of. What's your budget? The Elite would be very low on my list because of it's clunky operation.

m3lyc

Postby m3lyc » Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:33 am

Don't really have a budget to be honest, but think I'd set the limit at around £250 for a decent controller....

Brossard

Postby Brossard » Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:36 am

This is good value: http://www.dccsupplies.com/shop/product ... cts_id=487 I have one and find it is comfortable and easy to use.

I would steer away from Hornby or Bachmann systems - stick to those made by companies who specialize in DCC.

John
John

Essex2Visuvesi

Postby Essex2Visuvesi » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:32 am

Si quam primum vos operor non successio , impono

The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Proud member of the OAM
(Order of the Armchair Modeller

Brossard

Postby Brossard » Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:30 pm

I had a Digitrax system - it could have been the Empire Builder. It wasn't liked by the guys in the club. Too complicated, uncomfortable to use, clunky interface, sticky buttons. I sold it and went for NCE - much better in my opinion. However, it's all subjective and they will all do the job of controlling the trains.

John
John

Forfarian

Postby Forfarian » Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:59 pm

Powercab does it for me, can't beat Bromsgrove for NCE service
Tim
aka Forfarian

m3lyc

Postby m3lyc » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:13 pm

I've just found the Bachmann Dynamis. No question that's the one I'm going for. I know some of you may think it's a bit cheap and nasty but the handheld wireless unit with backlit LCD display and everything will be perfect for me, and my LHS do it for £99.99. Now I have another question; how do put sound in the Hornby 44932 Black 5? I'm aware that I need a sound decoder and speaker, but which one would you recommend for the Black 5 and how much are they? Many thanks in advance guys.

Lee.

Essex2Visuvesi

Postby Essex2Visuvesi » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:28 pm

m3lyc wrote:I've just found the Bachmann Dynamis. No question that's the one I'm going for. I know some of you may think it's a bit cheap and nasty but the handheld wireless unit with backlit LCD display and everything will be perfect for me, and my LHS do it for £99.99. Now I have another question; how do put sound in the Hornby 44932 Black 5? I'm aware that I need a sound decoder and speaker, but which one would you recommend for the Black 5 and how much are they? Many thanks in advance guys.

Lee.

ChrisWV10 has a one for sale in the classifieds
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=39003
Si quam primum vos operor non successio , impono

The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Proud member of the OAM
(Order of the Armchair Modeller

m3lyc

Postby m3lyc » Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:03 pm

Cool, can't afford at mo though, trip to Scarborough hauled by the full size 44932 on Tuesday, then a family friend's do next Friday, then Bank Holiday Monday see my friend and go Karting, then friday after that get my second hand bike sorted. Then I'll start buying OO stuff :D.

Lee.

thebritfarmer

Postby thebritfarmer » Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:33 pm

I have the Dynamis and like it very much. Haven't had any problems with it all. I find it very easy to use.
All Aboooooard !!

Return to “DCC Forum”