Class 105 DCC Sound

Post all your DCC only problems, solutions and discoverys here.
klaatu

Class 105 DCC Sound

Postby klaatu » Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:04 pm

Is there a sound decoder available specifically for a Class 105 DMU, or is one supposed to use the Class 108 decoder? I imagine the real things sound quite similar anyway?

Steve

SRman

Re: Class 105 DCC Sound

Postby SRman » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:51 am

To the best of my knowledge, there aren't any specific 105 sound decoders - the 108 is generally close to the right sounds but there were differences in the exhaust notes and also (as described by others) the cacophony of rattles and jangles from various 'fixtures' and fittings on the 105s.

Also, take into account that class 105 (and for that matter, class 101) were originally divided into two classes with AEC (classes 101 and 105) or Leyland (classes 102 and 106) engines but these were consolidated and the engines were eventually all changed to Leyland as the AEC parts supply dried up. I don't know if the class consolidations occurred before, during or after all becoming Leyland fitted - some may also have been withdrawn with AEC engines still in place.

klaatu

Postby klaatu » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:36 am

Thanks; I think the 108 decoder will do fine for my purposes, in that case.

Steve

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:44 am

The class 105 having been the 'radio comedy turn' among BR bogcarts, I would have to have the genuine article for a sound recording. (This is actually the sole class for which DCC sound is a temptation for me.) Maybe only applicable to the Kings Cross services, but the first sound I would be looking for is 'full revs while static in the platform'; the driver ensuring that all the motors were fully warmed up and thereby able to deliver as much of their inadequate power output as possible for the gradients ahead. Then there is the musical 'parp' at each upward gear change, and the fluting and warbling notes often heard on overrun and down to idling. And we need the clang of the watering cans on the platform as the staff attended to topping up the cooling systems.

All the motoring noises of course accompanied by the rattling of everything that could rattle already mentioned by SRman. As one of these units pulled away in summer with all ventilators open, from the other side of the four track you could hear all the internal rattling over the sound of the straining motors. Hilarious. Likely trouble with getting such a recording, is that the surviving motor unit probably has all the fittings well screwed down, so they don't rattle as much as when daily thrashed for all they were worth on GN sub services...

Return to “DCC Forum”