Which Controller

Post all your DCC only problems, solutions and discoverys here.
phil.c

Re: Which Controller

Postby phil.c » Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:00 pm

Well I bit the bullet and bought a Powercab + Smartboost, also an ESU with 57xx sounds, a 3MT and 4MT coming on Tuesday.

For someone who knows nothing about DCC (But i'm learning :) ) the initial start was easy, but I got into a situation by pressing something I should'nt have :roll: A decoder reset fixed everything though.

Phil

johncrazy

Postby johncrazy » Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:34 pm

keep us posted on how you progress

siringe

Postby siringe » Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:38 am

G'Day.
Good choice with the 3MT a nice loco,if you fit sound please let us know about it.
Cheers Terry. :D

ngresley

Postby ngresley » Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:08 am

BananaRepublic wrote:
poliss wrote:It's a criminal offence to use unlicensed American wireless controllers, such as the one made by NCE, in the EU as they don't conform to radio frequency regulations. It's fine to use the wireless controllers made in the EU, such as those made by ESU and Roco/Fleischmann, as they do conform to the regulations.

Just to clarify. They don't have to be made in the EU, they can be made anywhere, even the moon; but they have to made to be compliant with the various EU regulations and have been tested and approved.

There are a few American radio based wireless handsets that are approved in the EU.
Digitrax Duplex radio throttles and receiving modules with the CE suffix ( DT402DCE, UT4DCE & UR92CE).
The Gaugemaster badged version of the MRC Prodigy Advance Wireless and the equivalent wireless conversion kits.

Any others are not approved and therefore it is illegal to sell or use them in the EU (e.g. NCE, CVP EasyDCC, Stanton, RailPro etc.)

I think dedicated wireless controllers are on the way out anyway.

Another way of doing it is to run a software train controller on an iPhone/iPod Touch or Android equivalent!

You have a link from your DCC system to a computer (most are capable of this), run JRMI on the computer (runs with Linux, Mac OSX or, if you're desperate, Windoze... :mrgreen: ) and run apps like WiThrottle (http://withrottle.com/WiThrottle/Home.html) on said phone/pod whatever.

No dedicated hardware and no questions over compliance, and within reason no limits on the number of controllers. If a few friends turn up, they can join in the fun with their devices as well. You can use an old laptop, so it probably ends up cheaper as well.

The latest Australian Model Railway Magazine (no. 292) has an excellent intro to this.
"I'd like to die quietly in my sleep like my grandfather, rather than screaming in terror like his passengers"

Ark Royal

Postby Ark Royal » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:08 am

do you have to jailbreak the Iphone?

if not, MORE INFO PLEASE

Thanks

Chris
If you have found the above helpful, please read my layout thread and offer a comment
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=36868
Chris
Aka Ark Royal Aka HMS Ark Royal V (on other forums)

Essex2Visuvesi

Postby Essex2Visuvesi » Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:32 am

no jailbreaking required
look at the website above and all is made clear :P
Si quam primum vos operor non successio , impono

The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Proud member of the OAM
(Order of the Armchair Modeller

phil.c

Postby phil.c » Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:45 pm

johncrazy wrote:keep us posted on how you progress

siringe wrote:G'Day.
Good choice with the 3MT a nice loco,if you fit sound please let us know about it.
Cheers Terry. :D

I'll do that.

For those interesed in kit builds, i've just put some pictures in the "Kit Building Section" of a 43xx that I started and left eight years ago...i've just found it!

Phil

BananaRepublic

Postby BananaRepublic » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:51 pm

ngresley wrote:
I think dedicated wireless controllers are on the way out anyway.

Another way of doing it is to run a software train controller on an iPhone/iPod Touch or Android equivalent!

You have a link from your DCC system to a computer..... run JRMI on the computer ....... and run apps like WiThrottle (http://withrottle.com/WiThrottle/Home.html) on said phone/pod whatever.

.......You can use an old laptop, so it probably ends up cheaper as well.

You don't need to use a computer (PC or Laptop).
You don't need JMRI or any other software running on a computer.
...but you can still use an iPod Touch, iPad, iPhone or Android device as a wireless throttle.

Have a look at the TouchCab app. http://www.touchcab.com/ - for Apple iOS devices.
This can be used with a DCC system that has a built-in ethernet connection, or a DCC system that has an optional computer interface that has an ethernet connection.
All you need to do is connect to a router on a wireless network, such as a home network or small portable network for exhibition use and off you go.
TouchCab is currently available for use with a Lenz or ESU ECoS system, with other systems in the pipeline.
There's a short demo here...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGtg0DDVRDo&feature=player_embedded

There are similar control apps in development for other DCC systems, such as Digitrax and Roco.
I expect within a year or two, most makes of DCC system will have similar control apps, either from third party suppliers or developed in-house.

ngresley

Postby ngresley » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:04 pm

BananaRepublic wrote:You don't need to use a computer (PC or Laptop).
TouchCab is currently available for use with a Lenz or ESU ECoS system, with other systems in the pipeline.

I was aware of TouchCab but it only works with the Lenz and ESU ECoS because they are (ATM) the only DCC controllers with an Ethernet connection. For any other controller you need the computer essentially as an intelligent network interface. As you say, there will probably be more network-enabled controllers to come.

Just looking at the JMRI website I found something even more cool: Web browser control!!! (http://jmri.sourceforge.net/help/en/pac ... trol.shtml) So you don't even have to download an app. :D
"I'd like to die quietly in my sleep like my grandfather, rather than screaming in terror like his passengers"

Essex2Visuvesi

Postby Essex2Visuvesi » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:49 am

Thats nice

Should be fun with a touch screen PC

Proud member of the OAM

BananaRepublic

Postby BananaRepublic » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:03 pm

ngresley wrote:I was aware of TouchCab but it only works with the Lenz and ESU ECoS because they are (ATM) the only DCC controllers with an Ethernet connection.

According to TouchCab, they (he) are/is working on versions for a couple of other systems (e.g. Marklin CS2 ), but it seems they are locked out by a couple of DCC manufacturers who are now working on similar products themselves.
e.g. Digitrax (who are taking orders for their LNWI LocoNet to WiFi interface) working with Overlook Labs (developers of the Control Tower app).

With more ethernet or WiFi interfaces becoming available, I think for the majority the trend will be to by-pass computer based solutions, using direct iOS or Android to DCC system communicationl. Even layout control will be done from apps in mobile devices like Tablets or Smartphones.

johncrazy

Postby johncrazy » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:04 pm

I finally went with NCE PowerPro. All I need to do now is read the thick manual

Essex2Visuvesi

Postby Essex2Visuvesi » Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:31 am

johncrazy wrote:I finally went with NCE PowerPro. All I need to do now is read the thick manual

Manual? MANUAL?
Are you mad?!?!

Proud member of the OAM

johncrazy

Postby johncrazy » Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:55 am

I know I am mad, but thats what the bloke in the shop said and being retired I have the time. Having looked at it last night I am not sure I now have the inclination but otherwise I have no idea what to do. I will go back to the shop to be shown how to link to a PC and see what difference there is to the cab screen

Essex2Visuvesi

Postby Essex2Visuvesi » Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:58 am

The manual for my Fleischmann Twincenter lived in the bathroom for quite some time lol

Proud member of the OAM

Return to “DCC Forum”