Function Lights

Post all your DCC only problems, solutions and discoverys here.
Southern Region

Function Lights

Postby Southern Region » Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:57 pm

I have picked up on a previous member's observation that it is still not possible for modern dcc locos to move forward with a train with the rear lights in the off position. This as you probably know is an unnatural procedure that would not occur in real life railways, the rear light would appear on the end coach or wagon. I run my entire fleet with good quality LENZ decoders and I was wondering if there was a way to re-programme a cv which would enable the lights to be altered to enable locos to run in the correct manner. Frustrated Alan.

Roger (RJ)

Re: Function Lights

Postby Roger (RJ) » Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:05 pm

Basically, no. It's due to the way most RTR models are wired. The front white lights are connected to the rear red lights and vice versa. In most cases to have fully independent operation you need to split the wiring and use a four function decoder to individually control the front and rear lighting.

lennie

Postby lennie » Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:16 pm

As I said in a previous reply. I did convert a Bachman Class 66 to control the lights on FO. F1. F2. I could only do this because Model Rail did an artical on how to do it, and yes it does require a 4 function decoder, plus a couple of resistors. And as I said to convert my other two 66s means working to different wire colours. ( Not Brave enough ) I wrote to Model Rail requesting they do an update, the reply was not positive. So unless the manufactures do it for us we are stuck. Unless of course some brains out there shows us how. Regards.

Martin71

Postby Martin71 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:53 am

HI

Ok I will try to make this as simple as possible. For more reliable running and ease of install can I suggest you gut the loco and get rid of the manufacturers PCB. What you will be left with is 2 Motor terminals pick ups and wires from your lights.

Before you strip the PCB ID where the orange and grey go to on the motor terminals and mark the motor.

Lets firstly work on getting the loco running. Solder the red and black wires to the wheel pick up. Then orange and grey to motor. Test and make sure she runs in the correct direction.

OK now we only have 5 wires left assuming it is a 4 function decoder. They are White, Yellow, Green, and Purple which are DC and negative. Last one which is blue which and positive.

Loco front White with a 10k resistor in series wired to the neg side of led. Blue to positive.
Green with 20-30k resistor in series wired to neg of red led and blue to pos side.

Loco rear Yellow with 10k resistor in series to White lights neg and blue to pos side.
Purple with 20-30k resistor in series to neg side of LED and blue to Pos.

Adjust CV's to suit lighting and off you go.

That will give you fully independent directional lights for your loco. I have done 100's like this and no problems. You can take it further by adding a second decoder for extra control. 1 Decoder controls the front 1 the rear giving you 8 lighting functions. Some of my locos have you to 22 independent lighting functions its just how far you want to go.

Class 37 with 8 independent lighting functions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FJCllAAm88

Hope that helps.

Martin

Southern Region

Postby Southern Region » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:49 pm

Wow Martin, you have completely blown me away with your list of instructions. This certainly is not for the faint hearted and although I have a reasnoble working knowledge of electronics, this scares the pants off me. I am reluctant to go stripping out the guts of a diesels as all of mine are with sound and are all factory fitted with the exception of two. In other words I am forced to abandon the idea and stick with what I know best. I will however keep a copy of your instructions for further reference. Thanx. Alan.

Return to “DCC Forum”