NCE PowerCab

Post all your DCC only problems, solutions and discoverys here.
bocaj

NCE PowerCab

Postby bocaj » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:44 am

Hi Everyone,
I am currently using the Hornby Select and that is quite basic and I was thinking about eliet
But that was too exspensive and so was the Gaugmaster controller
Then I sawe NCE PowerCab, it looked simler
Can anyone tell me if it is simler to the Gaugemaster one and if you would recomend it

Please Help

Jacob :D

Flashbang

Re: NCE PowerCab

Postby Flashbang » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:08 am

Hi
Highly recommend the NCE PowerCab
Possibly one of the best DCC systems sold in that price range. Don't forget its a handheld unit not a console style. I prefer the freedom of a handheld (Called a throttle) even if it has a small cable connecting it to it.
The PowerCab will do everything you'll ever need and is fully expandable to allow increased loco power, PC operation etc.
Avoid 'Train Set' manufactures DCC consoles. They are normally very toy like and come with clunky controls.
[Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Broken? It was working correctly when I left it.

Lofty

Postby Lofty » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:12 am

I am another satisfied user

raistlin295

Postby raistlin295 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:21 am

I too would like to endorse the PowerCab as an excellent controller. Having tried out one or two different types now, I'm satisfied that I made the right choice :)
Last edited by raistlin295 on Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul

Finsbury Road My Layout

keef777

Postby keef777 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:10 pm

Another vote for the Powercab. When I returned to the hobby some 3 years ago I was persuaded that the Dynamis was the 'bees knees' but I was never particularly happy with it. As soon as I picked up a Powercab I knew that was the one for me, I bought it on the spot and came home and put the Dynamis straight on ebay. It's a decision I've never regretted, and a number of friends have also bought Powercabs after trying mine.

Regards
Keith.

SRman

Postby SRman » Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:21 pm

I am also an NCE user and am not regretting the choice even one little bit! That also means that my following comments may be a little biased. :wink:

While the Gaugemaster/MRC Prodigy controller is superficially similar to the NCE Power Cab, the NCE product is somewhat better ergonomically, particularly as it can be used single-handedly, whereas the Gaugemaster/MRC design requires two hands to operate it, due to the speed control knob being at the bottom of the controller and requiring a movement in the same plane as the controller face - the NCE knob is at right-angles so can be twirled with a single finger or thumb, and the NCE additionally offers push-buttons for speed control so you have a real choice for your referred control method.

Overall, the NCE Power Cab represents excellent value for money.

The other system you could investigate for the same sort of money and similar features is the Digitrax Zephyr, but this is a console based system and definitely not as well-designed ergonomically. It does have a few features that are ahead of the NCE but it also loses on a few points as well ... swings and roundabouts! :!:

Flashbang

Postby Flashbang » Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:32 pm

SRman wrote:I am also an NCE user and am not regretting the choice even one little bit! That also means that my following comments may be a little biased. :wink:

While the Gaugemaster/MRC Prodigy controller is superficially similar to the NCE Power Cab, the NCE product is somewhat better ergonomically, particularly as it can be used single-handedly, whereas the Gaugemaster/MRC design requires two hands to operate it, due to the speed control knob being at the bottom of the controller and requiring a movement in the same plane as the controller face - the NCE knob is at right-angles so can be twirled with a single finger or thumb, and the NCE additionally offers push-buttons for speed control so you have a real choice for your referred control method.

Overall, the NCE Power Cab represents excellent value for money.

The other system you could investigate for the same sort of money and similar features is the Digitrax Zephyr, but this is a console based system and definitely not as well-designed ergonomically. It does have a few features that are ahead of the NCE but it also loses on a few points as well ... swings and roundabouts! :!:

Hi
Just to be correct and not wanting to start a 'mine is better than yours' or 'system A is better than system B' war......The PA2 has two single buttons for speed up / down and can have the control knob turned with the same hand thats holding the throttle. It also has a larger viewing screen then the PowerCab plus a lot more track Amps too - 3.5Amp compared to the 1.8 to 2.0Amp of the PowerCab as sold and it has a dedicated low current Programming track output. But its two biggest downside are its lack of open source PC conductivity and its price which is around £199 in some UK stores. :D
As I stated in my original posting the NCE PowerCab offers an excellent all-round starter system :wink:

wolvesdug

Postby wolvesdug » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:22 pm

Another happy power cab user here

bocaj

Postby bocaj » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:22 pm

Hi Everyone
I have had a read through all of you're posts and everone of them recomend the NCE PowerCab
I think I'll get it

Thanks for the help

Jacob :D

BROADTRAIN1979

Postby BROADTRAIN1979 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:11 pm

Just to add yes the powercab! you cant go wrong! it does everything it ses on the tin! superb throughout and perfect for 'n' gauge! runs my locos and my sound emu brilliantly and i love toying with the cv's im in full full agreement with flasbang the powercab nce you will be glad you did :wink: :D
Oh and if youve registerd it there is a new plug in chip being released this summer ... so instead of the cab only recalling 2 addresses it will recall 6, just open the back unplug the chip plug the new one in all done! there will be instructions with it .I think registered ussers get it for £8.00 and if you have bought a powercab recently free of charge so get it registered :D
Youll never find a 501 like mine.

SRman

Postby SRman » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:21 am

I stand at least partially corrected by Flashbang (thanks). :) I'm still not convinced that the Gaugemaster is comfortable for one-handed use though - others may disagree, of course.

The best thing is to try a few different brands out before buying, if at all possible. What one person swears by, another may swear at! :twisted:

Like the majority in this thread, though, I think you will be convinced to go NCE. As a bonus, their support service (Larry in the USA) is second to none. 8)

Martin71

Postby Martin71 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:25 pm

Hi

Another vote for the NCE highly highly recommended. But do as SRman said and try some other controllers. Then you will know you have made the right decision.

Martin

rockyqld

Postby rockyqld » Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:18 am

Another vote for the NCE PowerCab. I have recently sidelined my Dynamis Pro Box system and bought the NCE. I should have done it sooner, I now have a great system at a much cheaper price. :D

journolud

Postby journolud » Sat May 07, 2011 12:25 pm

I was just about to post a new topic but I think that reading this has almost made up my mind for me. I currently use a dynamis system for my n gauge layout which fills a garage. I was thinking about upgrading to the probox so I could add a controller for my sons to use but I'm not totally happy with the dynamis. A recurring problem is the LED display on my controller which has a habit of going haywire (as though rapidly scrolling through) although I can find no reference to this problem elsewhere. I'm on my second controller though.

What will convinve me to change is knowing whether the NCE powercab system can also take additonal controllers so that two people can operate trains at the same time and also is there a powerbooster available should I need it?

Flashbang

Postby Flashbang » Sat May 07, 2011 1:16 pm

journolud wrote: <Snip>
What will convinve me to change is knowing whether the NCE powercab system can also take additonal controllers so that two people can operate trains at the same time and also is there a powerbooster available should I need it?

Hi
Yes & yes :D
The PowerCab can have 2Cabs (throttles) connected and a booster is also sold.
Take a look at this ad for the PowerCab where it states the features. https://clarahost.clara.net/www.bromsgrovemodels.co.uk/pd-670066615.htm?categoryId=100
This from the same supplier this showing a good selection of add on accessories including boosters. https://clarahost.clara.net/www.bromsgrovemodels.co.uk/pi68619729.htm?categoryId=101

Return to “DCC Forum”