reverse loop

Post all your DCC only problems, solutions and discoverys here.
pecee

reverse loop

Postby pecee » Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:48 am

Hi
Just a quick question about reverse loops and DCC, is the length of the reverse track limited to the length of the drive loco or will lighted DCC sections confuse the reverse loop module. I have about 1.2m but have a virgin pendolino with a rake of 4 which i think is a little over?
Thank you in advance!
Dan

Bigmet

Re: reverse loop

Postby Bigmet » Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:24 am

The switched section needs to exceed the length of the longest span of pick ups in a train. But really this isn't usually a limitation; put the insulating rail joiners in on the rail ends of the point that creates the return loop, and that defines the physical space available. If that loop is too short to accomodate your train with pickups along its' length, then the front end will collide with the back end still entering the loop, and the back end will also prevent the point being changed to let the front of the train out of the loop.

klaatu

Postby klaatu » Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:34 am

Bigmet wrote:If that loop is too short to accomodate your train with pickups along its' length, then the front end will collide with the back end still entering the loop, and the back end will also prevent the point being changed to let the front of the train out of the loop.

True, but sometimes you can have a reverse loop which doesn't actually join back onto itself. If you have double track with a loop at one end, and want to keep the polarity the same if you have a crossover. Well explained not :)
Just playing trains - not a "proper modeller"

m8internet

Postby m8internet » Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:53 am

My layout was originally designed with five such modules being used
The modules were fitted to straight pieces of track, to allow swapping of the polarity, and two were measured to be exactly the length of the longest train I am able to operate

I had no choice as I operate a mix of trains, including locos with DVTs, and these trains require to swap polarity (otherwise the lights would be the same instead of opposite)
Glasgow Queen Street Model Railway layout : modern image N gauge using DCC

Return to “DCC Forum”