How to install DCC in dual engine loco??

Post all your DCC only problems, solutions and discoverys here.
Lucas (00/HO)

How to install DCC in dual engine loco??

Postby Lucas (00/HO) » Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:41 pm

Hey,

I've got an old loco here made by Piko. It's got two engines inside and I'm about to fit in a hornby chip but before I do so I'd need some opinion on that matter.
Is it OK to hook up two engines to one chip?? I've heard stories about chips overheating with one engine, not mentioning two.
Has anyone done that before? Is it possible? Are there any risks except of burning my fingers with a soldering iron? Wouldn't fancy to watch my loco melting :'(
I had a pleasure to fit chips in my other single engine locos before and I used hornby website for tips on that one but not seen any dual engine examples there.

Any advise on that one would be hugely appreciated.

Kind regards,

Lucas

Flashbang

Re: How to install DCC in dual engine loco??

Postby Flashbang » Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:48 pm

Lucas (00/HO) wrote:Hey,

I've got an old loco here made by Piko. It's got two engines inside and I'm about to fit in a hornby chip but before I do so I'd need some opinion on that matter.
Is it OK to hook up two engines to one chip?? I've heard stories about chips overheating with one engine, not mentioning two.
Has anyone done that before? Is it possible? Are there any risks except of burning my fingers with a soldering iron? Wouldn't fancy to watch my loco melting :'(
I had a pleasure to fit chips in my other single engine locos before and I used hornby website for tips on that one but not seen any dual engine examples there.

Any advise on that one would be hugely appreciated.

Kind regards,

Lucas

Hi
It can be done but...
A) Its better to use two decoders, one for each motor and run them as a Consist.
B) You wont do this double feeding from one decoder with the the basic Hornby R8249 decoder. Its motor control output current is far to low (500ma)
C) If you do try two motors from one decoder turn off the Bemf completely.
[Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Broken? It was working correctly when I left it.

Lucas (00/HO)

Postby Lucas (00/HO) » Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:35 pm

Thanks Flashbang.

I thought hornby chips are 1A. I'll consider fitting two chips then.
I've tried running two locos as a consist before but they were two different types and it didn't work well but when two engines are identical, that shouldn't be a problems.
Thanks for a valuable advise.

Lucas

SRman

Postby SRman » Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:24 am

If it is of any help, I fitted a TCS T1 decoder into an Underground CP motor coach with two Black Beetle motors. I wired them in parralel (EDIT: bad typing: I do know how to spell parallel ! :oops: ) from the one decoder.

I thought I would have to turn off the BEMF but tried it first with BEMF still on and it ran beautifully; no fighting or hunting at all and slow speed running was spot on. Tried it without the BEMF and the only difference was the starting notch was a bit higher. To be fair, the Black Beetles had been installed a while ago and, i am told, may have had capacitors fitted inside - I am not inclined to dismantlke them to find out! If this is the case then the caps would most likely negate any BEMF effects anyway. I believe later Black Beetles don't have the capacitors fitted.

The TCS decoders (T1 as above, or M1 or similar) will probably cope with your two motors if you want to try it.
Last edited by SRman on Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

K9-70

Postby K9-70 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:37 am

A simple wiring diagram for installing a single DCC Decoder to operate two power bogies.
The decoder I used is the Bachmann 36-553 3function decoder with BEMF turned on.

K9-70
The Rides the "REASON" the "DESTINATION" is only an "EXCUSE" :-).

doggeface

Postby doggeface » Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:06 am

As most motors draw a max of 250 mA at full load and max volts you would be pushing your luck with a R8249 and would need to use a 1Amp decoder. I noted one correspondent who suggested using two decoders and to operate in a consist. To set cv01 (loco address) to individual decoders once fitted would be impossible. In any case it would be much easier on the memory(human) if the same address is used for both. I use this idea on 2 HST sets and a Pullman DMU set. The only variation in those cases being that the trailing power unit is wired in reverse for motor direction and lighting. Equally the problem of unequal motor performance will quickly make itself evident but one could reasonably expect that to have shown up on DC before hand.

Lucas (00/HO)

Postby Lucas (00/HO) » Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:26 pm

Gentleman,

Thank you for your valued advises. I will definitely try to use one chip and the diagram above will be much of help with wiring.
Thank you for your time and appreciate your advice.

Cheers,

Lucas

Return to “DCC Forum”