Loosing connection

Post all your DCC only problems, solutions and discoverys here.
rogercontroller

Loosing connection

Postby rogercontroller » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:36 pm

I have a Prodigy Advance 2 system and am using Hornby decoder (R8249). I have 3 locos one is DCC ready and 2 had to be converted.
The conversion has gone well and all three locos can be made to work well. However, I am encountering a problem that I have no idea how to troubleshoot or correct and I would be glad of any thoughts or experiences.

The problem
I program the 3 locos and they work fine for the session. I turn off the prodogy system and back on again and at least one loco will no longer respond.
If I check the settings on the program track I find that the decoder has retained all of its information address etc. However, it will not respond on the main track. I reprogram it to a different number (must be a different number) and the loco works again.
I have tried removing the locos from the track before switching off but to no effect the loco will not respond.
I have noticed occassionally that the locos may 'jump' when the power is switched off but this is occassional while the loco loss of communication always happens.

Once programmed the locos work fine and are completely responsive to the system.

I know how strange it all sounds - thats why I am at a loss as to what to do next any help gratefully recieved

Flashbang

Re: Loosing connection

Postby Flashbang » Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:58 pm

HI
I too use a PA and have a few Hornby R8249 decoders in use, but no problems as you describe?
Wondering.... Are you turning the PA off at the console first then at the mains socket secondly?
The only other thing that I can think of at the moment that may help? Is placing a simple On/Off switch in the 'Track' feed wires after the console and before the DCC bus or rail. Ensure the switch is Off before shutting down the DCC console and Off before powering up then once powered up flip the switch On.
Or perhaps better is adding Bus Terminator filters to the bus wires - Assuming you use a DCC bus?
Nothing overly complex .... One 150R 2 watt or higher wattage resistor and a 0.1µf ceramic capacitor wired together in series and connected across the ends of the bus wires (one set per bus end). Or you can obtain them ready made from for example in the UK Bromsgrove Models.
[Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Broken? It was working correctly when I left it.

Silver Surfer

Postby Silver Surfer » Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:41 am

I had a similar problem (although not with a PA) where when I turned off my dcc, the decoder for some strange reason was re-setting itself to address 3 (the default). The decoder went in the bin and was replaced with a TCS - I no longer experience this issue.

It was a basic Bachmann decoder, two function I seem to recall - it's gone now so can't check.

Mike
Hawkers Bridge - A work in progress

doggeface

Postby doggeface » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:23 pm

I have had this with Bachmann 36-533 decoders fitted on Hornby locos with sealed motors. One a Castle and the other a Cl66 . Both work well on R8249s but the Bachmanns are happy in other locos. No amount of CV changing ever made any difference. Until I put power switching onto my long diamonds I know that there will still be some resets to 03 to tolerate!

Return to “DCC Forum”