NCE DCC SYSTEM.

Post all your DCC only problems, solutions and discoverys here.
lennie

NCE DCC SYSTEM.

Postby lennie » Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:46 pm

Anyone running one of these ? would appreciate an unbiased opinion. Thanks. Len.

raistlin295

Re: NCE DCC SYSTEM.

Postby raistlin295 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:29 pm

I have a PowerCab and Smart Booster combination and it works very well.

My opinion is based upon the fact that I have very limited experience with other DCC systems but I will say that the NCE kit does precisely what I want it to do in an uncomplicated way and has so far been 100% reliable.

Programming is simple enough although I personally program via my PC and Loksound programmer.

E-mail support from the manufacturer is very good, with a reply to any question usually within a couple of hours.
Paul

Finsbury Road My Layout

ste234

Postby ste234 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:57 pm

Yupp, just bought a Powercab a few weeks ago, as a first step into DCC I think it's brilliant, it's very easy to use, and simple to set up. The scroll wheel is a good idea, but the buttons for a single notch up or 10 up are usefull.
Programming is simple, just press a few buttons and your into the menu, and you can set up the motor on the screen, rather than looking for CV numbers to find.
I highly really recommend it, a very good system. I tried a Bachmann Dynamis at a model exhibition a few month ago and wasn't keen on it.
Ste
'Springfield', N gauge Modern Era Layout

SRman

Postby SRman » Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:05 am

I think asking for an unbiased opinion from NCE owners/users is probably asking for an impossibility!! :evil:

I started out dabbling in DCC by Buying a Lenz Compact very cheaply. It was limited in functions and functionality but was a good starter for a newbie sitting on the fence.

Once I started getting more adventurous with settings and CV programing, I borrowing my good friend Doug's Digitrax Zephyr, which is probably the nearest equivalent in specification and price to the NCE Power Cab. I liked what I found but was not so impressed with the Digitrax manuals, which are thoroughly comprehensive but almost incomprehensible!

After Looking at several of the options online and in magazines (Model Rail ran a good article around that time with a set of tables comparing systems), I settled on the Power Cab - a decision I have never regretted. The interface and manuals are intuitive and easy to follow. The handset is comfortable to use and easy to use one-handed, left- or right-handed. Programming is easy, with a sort of "wizard" interface that allows step-by-step programming of features or by individual CVs.

I also like the ability to control trains using either the encoder wheel or using the buttons (single increments one side, fast increments the other).

As with the Digitrax, future expansion is easy and has no redundancy of existing components. I upgraded to the NCE Power Pro by simply buying the command station and using the existing Power Cab controllers (of which I had three by that time, plus a Cab 04p simple controller, useful for when younger kids visit). A cheaper option is the Smart Booster which will support up to four controllers/cabs.

NCE's after sales support is second to none, in my experience. They sent me upgrade chips for all three Power Cabs at no cost, although I believe the next upgrade will cost a small amount, which I am happy to pay. Upgrades are usually easy to install yourself, unlike Digitrax and Lenz, where you have to send the units back to the dealer or manufacturer.

I am happy to recommend the Power Cab but would suggest that you try as many different systems out personally before spending your money. What one person finds very good, another may find they don't like at all.

Silver Surfer

Postby Silver Surfer » Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:26 am

Following many, many months of research, looking at and hands on testing, I jumped straight in the deep end with my very first DCC kit - NCE PowerHouse Pro 5amp.
Do I regret it? Not one little bit, it's sublime, does everything I want and I echo the thoughts and opinions expressed above.

I do now realise that it would have been a very expensive mistake had I got it wrong so, do plenty of research to find out which system will suit your requirements (pocket and functions) and, hopefully, you won't be far off the mark when you eventually make your purchase.

Mike
Hawkers Bridge - A work in progress

lennie

Postby lennie » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:45 am

Many thanks for all your replys, But be warned, expect many questions, there are certain operations that i just cant get a grip of. This one for instance. How do you read back a CV ? in particular to find out the loco address? Len. Ps. If anyone wants me to be a pest with questions, then you can use my email if you prefer.

ste234

Postby ste234 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:32 pm

When you go to program the address the current one comes up, and its the same for changing CV's, type in the CV number eg; 29, and it will show on the screen a value of say 006.
Ste

BromsMods

Postby BromsMods » Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:17 pm

lennie wrote:Many thanks for all your replys, But be warned, expect many questions, there are certain operations that i just cant get a grip of. This one for instance. How do you read back a CV ? in particular to find out the loco address? Len. Ps. If anyone wants me to be a pest with questions, then you can use my email if you prefer.

You can only read back CVs on the programming track.

lennie

Postby lennie » Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:34 pm

Understand to use program track, cant find how in the manual, Its getting to grips with what ( NCE) mean.
Another thing can you disable the clock?

15A

Postby 15A » Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:56 pm

SRman wrote:<snip>NCE's after sales support is second to none, in my experience. They sent me upgrade chips for all three Power Cabs at no cost, although I believe the next upgrade will cost a small amount, which I am happy to pay. Upgrades are usually easy to install yourself, unlike Digitrax and Lenz, where you have to send the units back to the dealer or manufacturer.</snip>

Just to point out, for the sake of accuracy, that I recently upgraded my Digitrax 402 controller usning my newly acquired PR3 interface and the Digitrax website. So there was no need to return my unit to the manufacturer, or dealer. If anything, flash upgrades are easier to install than EPROMS IMHO.

Can't speak for Lenz, I've never owned that system.

Regards

Max

ste234

Postby ste234 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:06 pm

You can, but it means changing it to an ammeter, which is better in my opinion!

lennie

Postby lennie » Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:50 pm

OK, Disable the clock to amps, what a good idea. How do you do it? Len.

ste234

Postby ste234 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:07 pm

I can't remember off the top of my head, but you press the prog button so many times until 'Cab Params' (I think) comes up, press enter on this and I think its the first option, you just have to press '1' to activate it :)

Flashbang

Postby Flashbang » Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:33 pm

lennie wrote:OK, Disable the clock to amps, what a good idea. How do you do it? Len.

The .PDF copy of the PowerCab Manual page 59 seems to cover this!
http://www.ncedcc.com/pdf/Power%20Cab%20Manual%201-25-06.pdf
[Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Broken? It was working correctly when I left it.

BromsMods

Postby BromsMods » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:04 pm

lennie wrote:Understand to use program track, cant find how in the manual, Its getting to grips with what ( NCE) mean.

Have you got an output to a programming track?

Return to “DCC Forum”