Bachman EZ Command - Digital starter

Post all your DCC only problems, solutions and discoverys here.
Rogue_Lion1

Bachman EZ Command - Digital starter

Postby Rogue_Lion1 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:29 pm

I have the above named set which I bought from Hattons in Liverpool. I know less than nothing about SCC however I am assured that it merely needed to be set up and it would work. i have now had the set for almost 2 years and am still unable to get a loco to run on my track. Hattons have been wonderful and exchanged one of my locos as well as giving me a replacement EZ Command unit. However My problem persists - My track is clean yet the lights all illuminate on the EZ Command unit and beyond that their is no life whatsoever in my layout and not a single loco will move. I have meticulously gone around my track and checked that it is all connected soundly and so forth.

Hattons are now requesting me to take the locos into their shop so that they can test them I did this with the EZ Command unit and it worked fine on their test track. I bring it back to my layout and it returns to doing nothing except all its lights lighting up when I connect it.

I am at a total loss – two years I’ have had my layout and so far no trains arte able to run. I am finding this to be most frustrating. I also find all the terminology used in DCC to be utterly baffling.

Any and All advice would be gratefully appreciated bearing in mind I am a total newbie and completetly confused by DCC.

RL

poliss

Re: Bachman EZ Command - Digital starter

Postby poliss » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:41 pm

Have you seen Bachmann's E-Z Command tutorials on YouTube? Here's a link to part one. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAin_nEMHlY
The wall plug is the American type, but the rest of the system is the same. If you have done everything shown in the videos and have tried the basic programming, then there may be problems with the decoders.
I know what you mean about the technical terminology. Instead of someone translating the technicians language into plain English before DCC was released into the wild they just left the technogeek terms.

Rogue_Lion1

Postby Rogue_Lion1 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:41 pm

I have been back to Hatton’s in Liverpool where I initially purchased the Bachman Digital Starter set and they have tested my EZCommand Controller on their test track. Whilst all. its lights come on on my layout their is no response whatsoever from my locomotives however with their DCC loco their was no problem. However they kindly exchanged it for a new one and I came home with it all ready to go. However when I set it up - following the instruction manual to the letter it is precisely the same. – zero response from Anything on the track.; I have taken it all away and replaced my Analogue controller and My analogue locos run perfectly well.

I am a total novice to CDD and am feeling somewhat frustrated as I have been 2 years now attempting to sort this DCC issue out.

ANY and ALL help will be appreciated.

Thanks

RL

poliss

Postby poliss » Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:44 pm

Did you take the locos with you?

Flashbang

Postby Flashbang » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:39 pm

Hi
Lets see if we can get you started......

1) One loco on the track only for this...
2) Check all plugs are pushed fully home in the rear of the EZ and the rail connections are making good contact. Power up the EZ Command.
3) Do you see three LEDs lit?
If yes...
4) Try pressing button 3 and then turning up speed knob. Does the loco move?
If it does move then its address is 3 and you can alter it to any other address between 1 and 9.
If no...
5) Try this test. Press Stop until power LED flashes (If after first trial the power LED doesn't flash try holding down button 3 and then pressing Stop, release button three and stop button) and then press button 3. Re press Stop. Now does the loco move with button 3 LED lit?
If not
6) Try each button in turn 1 to 10 and when each LED is lit by the button pressed try turning up the speed knob. Does the loco move at any number?
If yes that is its address number.

If no...
Try this final test but you'll need a 12 volt Grain or Rice/Wheat lamp with two fly leads or a multimeter set to it ac volts range.
Remove all locos and power up EZ and test across the rails where the power lead connects. If you use a lamp it should illuminate or the meter should read around 12 to 16 volts ac. Note; most multimeters cannot accurately read the true DCC rail volts, but a reading should be obtained regardless.

If you get a reading or the lamp lights move around the layout away from the power conenction place. At every location where you test across the rails you should get a light or a reading the same as at the beginning. Any loss of lamp or a lower reading indicates a poor rail fishplate connection.

If your lamp doesn't light or the meter doesn't show a good reading at the power input place there is no rail power arriving. Check the plug in connector is correctly inserted and the rail end is inserted correctly.

Come back with your results and we can try and help further if necessary.
[Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Broken? It was working correctly when I left it.

BananaRepublic

Postby BananaRepublic » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:00 am

It may seem a daft question, but have you installed decoders in the locos you've tried ?

If I understand you correctly, the EZ Command came with a DCC train set, therefore the loco included in the set should be decoder fitted.
The early set with a Class 25 had the decoder incorporated as part of the circuit board (non removable decoder). This is the same arrangement as with a lot of budget Bachmann US locos with DCC fitted (they sell for around £30).

If the decoder has "blown" then a new circuit board is required, but as the decoder is pretty much rubbish anyway, it would be better to chop it all out and hard-wire a new decoder directly to the motor and pick-ups.

Another way of checking that DCC power is reaching the tracks, is to try the "coin test".
Power-up the layout and place a coin across the tracks.
The system should detect the short and immediately shut down. If it doesn't, then there's either a fault with the wiring and supply to the tracks, or the DCC systems's output is faulty.

cheers

red death

Postby red death » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:04 pm

I wuold try all the diagnostic tests suggested by others. It sounds like one of the following may be the problem:

- faulty (or no) DCC decoder in the loco
- faulty track wiring (perhaps there is a short which may not be as much of a problem on analogue)
- you are not selecting the right decoder address for the loco (it will default to 3 but someone may have set it to something else)

Rogue_Lion1

Postby Rogue_Lion1 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:12 pm

Flashbang I carried out the tests you sugfgested to the letter and still am no better off. By this I mean that their is absolutely no improvement whatsoever.

I am getting frustrated with it now surely it can't be that difficult to run a little DCC loco around an oval of track?

Thanks Everyone for the advice.

RL

Flashbang

Postby Flashbang » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:24 pm

Rogue_Lion1 wrote:Flashbang I carried out the tests you sugfgested to the letter and still am no better off. By this I mean that their is absolutely no improvement whatsoever.

I am getting frustrated with it now surely it can't be that difficult to run a little DCC loco around an oval of track?

Thanks Everyone for the advice.

RL

Hi

Sorry to read that.
As suggested previously in a post, the loco your trying to run is DCC Fitted? That is it has a decoder factory fitted.

Suggestion....

Remove the two track feed wires from the rails.
Power up the EZ unit and then momentarily touch the two bared wire ends together (You're replicating a short circuit across the rails, but doing it on the feed wires). Does the console trip out and show an overload?
If it does then the wires from the console are ok and the problem has to be from the power clip onwards to the rails or in the actual loco.
If the console doesn't trip out, then the problem is a broken feed wire or the plug not making correct connection into the rear of the console - check carefully for which one it is. I believe Bachmann provide an alternative track feed wire? If so, try that.

Rogue_Lion1

for beginners in DCC.

Postby Rogue_Lion1 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:01 pm

I shall do those tests however I have spoken to the Returns Manager at Hatton’s who has told me that he is adding another 6 months to my warranty and has advised me to return the entire set to their store and they will thoroughly test it and replace FOC All that they find to be faulty. He has also told me He will give me an "In store lesson" for beginners in DCC".

God but I am learning fast here it is awesome thanks a million everyone.

I currently have My layout running ion Analogue and am running my min my new Hornby R 2957 GWR 0 4 0 Class 101 Limited Edition set of 1835 – it is running like a dream 

RL

BromsMods

Postby BromsMods » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:02 pm

How have you connected the wires from the command station to the track?

Rogue_Lion1

Postby Rogue_Lion1 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:39 pm

I have connected the EZ Command power unit to the track using the red cable provided that has the clip on it that pushes beneth the rails.

Rogue_Lion1

Postby Rogue_Lion1 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:39 pm

I have connected the EZ Command power unit to the track using the red cable provided that has the clip on it that pushes beneath the rails.

Flashbang

Postby Flashbang » Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:46 pm

Hi
Remove that red cable with the moulded rail connecting plug and replace it with the one that has a plug on one end and bared wire ends on its other end.

Now with this new lead plugged into the 'Track' socket on the console power up the console and then touch the two bared wire ends momentary together, the console should indicate a short circuit. This proves the console and the track wires are all ok.

If it does trip ok then the problem is the actual track connection or the track itself or the loco being tested.
If it does not trip then the problem is with the console or the wire/plug.

Now, assuming the initial test above did proved the console detected the short correctly, either push the bared wire ends into a power connecting clip or power track section. If you don't have a power clip or power track section, then look at the side of the track and check to see where the plastic sleeper joining web has been lowered. Push one bared wire in so as its bared end touched the rails underside. Do the same with the other opposite rail/wire.

Carry out a coin touched edge on across the rails. This test is to ensure the console trips out again. If its does then wait until its reset itself and then...

You should now be able to move your loco once its placed on the rails. Try initially address button 3 and turn up the speed knob, if no movement check any of the other address number buttons 1 to 9 to see if the loco moves when the speed knob is turned up on one of these address buttons. Note the LED next tot he button must be lit to show that button is operating.

BromsMods

Postby BromsMods » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:30 am

Rogue_Lion1 wrote:I have connected the EZ Command power unit to the track using the red cable provided that has the clip on it that pushes beneath the rails.

I would always advise connecting the wires directly to the rails. Avoid the use of power clips - some are known to prevent DCC working.

Return to “DCC Forum”