ESU Ecos 50200 - Up & Running Firmware 3.4.0

Post all your DCC only problems, solutions and discoverys here.
mikem64

ESU Ecos 50200 - Up & Running Firmware 3.4.0

Postby mikem64 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:13 pm

I was wondering if anyone out there has one of these controllers ? It's a system I've been watching for sometime & I really fancy one, it seems to be the next step up from my Dynamis Pro system I have. The issue is the price tag, I know you get what you pay for at the end of the day but before I part with such a large amount of cash I need to know if it's rock solid.

I've done loads of internet searches & it seems to be sound, but the best person to ask is someone who has this system & are they happy with it. The problem is finding people, do they ever sell any of these units ?

I know loads of you out there will tel me to go for the NCE system but I've found my Dynamis system very easy to use & scrolling through a loco list is very easy, hence why I feel the 50200 will be a good replacement if I can just get the final pieces to the jigsaw.

All replies & comments / suggestions welcome.

Mike.
Last edited by mikem64 on Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Wordsworth Model Railway Free Downloadable Card Kits can be found at here
http://www.wordsworthmodelrailway.co.uk
The Wordsworth Model Railway Photo Album
https://michael-martin.imgbb.com/

klaatu

Re: ESU Ecos 50200

Postby klaatu » Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:33 pm

I'm really happy with mine so far, I have no regrets at all with buying it. But note:

1. I have no experience at all of any other DCC system
2. My layout is still under construction, so I haven't really got into any serious use yet.

Steve
Just playing trains - not a "proper modeller"

lennie

Postby lennie » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:31 pm

Mike. I have been looking at this myself, But am beginning to ask myself some questions. Do I want to spend all this cash? Does my layout warrant it? Am i happy with what i have got? Yes its top of the range, all bells and whistles. But just think about that nice new loco with sound just waiting for your money. Regards.

mikem64

Postby mikem64 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:29 pm

Hi Gents,

Sorry for the delay getting back too this thread, this is what happens when you lead a life of woe, first thanks for the replies they have been quite helpful. I went to the Doncaster Model Railway Festival & I seen one of these unit in the flesh.... OK it was still in it's box, I never realised how big the unit is, but then why should I be surprised as it has a 7" colour screen, therefore the control panel must be bigger than the screen. I nearly bought it there & then but the £579 price tag made me think.

I'm now in two minds, yes I really like this controller, but as the question has been already raised that's five sound decoders I could buy for my Deltic, my class 27, maybe my Britannia class, & so on ????????????? :?

More time required to ponder.

Thank you,

Mike.

BananaRepublic

Postby BananaRepublic » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:31 am

The ECoS is a very sophisticated "top end" DCC system and is priced accordingly.
The touch colour screen provides a very clever and useful interface not only for driving locos, but for programming decoders and route control, using a layout diagram on the screen.
Part of the extra cost is due to the fact that this system is essentially a dedicated PC running a version of LINUX.

There are quite a few users over on the Model Rail Forum and RMweb.

Spending that sort of money is a big decision and you really need to assess what your future needs and requirements are likely to be before taking the plunge.

cheers

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:03 pm

You need to give real thought to how you operate your model railway too. The console control approach (Ecos, ZTC and others) usually comes at quite a price, and anchors you to a control station; either that or fork out more cash for mobile controllers of some sort. No good for me, I like to move around a lot to get close to the action, and a small handset which can be operated single handed is my ideal, and I want to spend more on trains than control gear.

lennie

Postby lennie » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:30 pm

Hi, Mike. Well I have made my decision, new loco's & stock have priority. unless my numbers come up. even then i think the Ecos may be over the top for me, anyway. Good luck.Len.

mikem64

Re: ESU Ecos 50200 - Now Dynamis Dies !!!!!!

Postby mikem64 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:52 pm

Hi Boys,

Big problem, Wordsworth now has no means of controlling trains after the Dynamis Pro finally died. Decided to just play trains for a change of pace, things going great running Bachmann sound 20 & my Bachmann class 55, all fun being had until everything stopped dead. Looked at the Dynamis handset & the signal to the receiver had gone.

Tried resetting the system & nothing, whilst thinking what to do next the trains powered back up, ran a few feet & stopped again. Did this many times where the signal reconnected receiver & controller & then dropped again.

I've powered the system down & left it for a while, & have tried again switching the base unit on, then the controller & I keep getting hit & miss signal strength. Tried the batteries, one new set for another, still the same, I've hit it, kicked it, swore at it, now pulling my hair out.

I know other people have had issues with the Dynamis system but mine has been great up until today.......BUM :cry:

OK where now, do I dig out the £575 for the ESU 50200, or do I go for a cheaper option ? I know where my heart wants me to go, but things are not too rosey at present, some big bills coming in shortly. (Car insurance, Road Tax, MOT's & servicing just a few)

Any thoughts ?

Sad & depressed.

Mike.

klaatu

Postby klaatu » Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:37 pm

You can get the ECoS a little bit cheaper by buying from Germany, e.g. Modellbahnshop-Lippe, which is where I got mine from. Works out about £500 currently, I think. You'll need a converter for the PSU plug (but I think that when you buy them in the K, they just supply an adapter anyway, with the same PSU), and I don't know if you get a printed UK manual; there was no UK manual available when I got mine. You can download the PDF, though.

Steve
Just playing trains - not a "proper modeller"

ChrisWV10

Postby ChrisWV10 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:45 am

Sorry to hear that Mike. I've been very pleased with my dynamis and had none of the problems that seem to plague other users and now yours has given up as well I wonder how long before mine gives up the ghost. :?

Can't offer any advice re the ECOS and I'd be in a similar quandry as dynamis ticks all the boxes for me, tho' £500+ is a lot to drop on a new controller.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

C. :)

mikem64

Postby mikem64 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:04 pm

Hi Gents,

I'm nearly at my decision stage, from all the PRO units out there I've now got the list down to two, I'm now just waiting for some emails coming back to me, what these contain will then decide which of the system will win my hard earnt cash.

Just wish my Dynamis hadn't died, I was hoping I could have sold this to recoup some of the cost. I assume my Pro box might be worth selling on, I'll wait and see when the new system arrives.

Chris, I hope your Dynamis keeps going, I really like this system which annoys me more than anything, so simple & easy too use.

If I'm lucky I'll get my emails tomorrow & give it a day for final pros & cons, by Wednesday then a new system might be on order. :wink:

Thanks to all.

Mike.

mikem64

Postby mikem64 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:11 pm

Hi Gents,

The deeds done, finally got all the info I needed & my order has gone in for the ESU 50200 system.

klaatu wrote:You can get the ECoS a little bit cheaper by buying from Germany, e.g. Modellbahnshop-Lippe, which is where I got mine from. Works out about £500 currently, I think. You'll need a converter for the PSU plug (but I think that when you buy them in the K, they just supply an adapter anyway, with the same PSU), and I don't know if you get a printed UK manual; there was no UK manual available when I got mine. You can download the PDF, though.

Steve

Many thanks Steve for the link to the German site, it's saved me a few pound getting from aboard, good job we are part of the EU.

There is a BUT ....... before I started to strip the Dynamis down I wanted to clear the memory & so carried out a factory reset, yes you've guessed correct the damn thing is working again....... :evil:

Not sure why / how or what caused the original lose of connection between the handset & base unit, right now I don't care as the new unit has been ordered. I'm going to put up for sale the Pro box, but not sure what to do about the base unit ? Maybe sale the remote handset, as for the base station not sure what to do with that a present ?

For anyone else out there that has the same issue with lose of signal, try a reset, OK it puts it all back to factory settings but what else have you got too lose ?

Catch you all later,

Mike.

ferries2000

Postby ferries2000 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:02 am

mikem64 wrote:Hi Gents,

The deeds done, finally got all the info I needed & my order has gone in for the ESU 50200 syste I'm going to put up for sale the Pro box, but not sure what to do about the base unit ? Maybe sale the remote handset, as for the base station not sure what to do with that a present ?

Catch you all later,

Mike.

Morning, Well done on your new purchase...Dont put up for sale your pro box just yet,i know you may need to,to offset the buying of the ecos.
I have one, but set up 3 meters of track seperately so i could spend time getting the hang of it , i am glad i did.
Its now conn. to the main + a seperate prog. track....Just a thought.... :D
regards...dt.......
DT.

mikem64

Re: ESU Ecos 50200 - Arrived today

Postby mikem64 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:52 pm

Hi Boys,

Well it's here, my new DCC controller turned up today, What a company, item was collected by UPS in Germany on Tuesday morning & by Thursday 14:00hrs was being signed for by my son.

Talk about being like a kid in a candy shop......WOW

I've got the manual out & just going through the pages at present, might need to learn some new terms as I was lost on the first page, thought all DCC things were NMRA compliant ???????

I'll try and do a test soon, then I'll need to build a home for the new controller. I'm looking forward in using this, I hope I can just put each loco currently on Wordsworth onto the Programming track & read / save all the settings from each, if not I've got 30 loco's to reprogramme into this new unit.

I'll let you know how I go.

Mike.

sishades

Re: ESU Ecos 50200 - Arrived today

Postby sishades » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:33 am

Is this the new model with the colour screen? This is what controllers should look like....sleek, elegant and lots of beeping and flashing lights. Just like a space ship. They may not do anything but by God they look the part.
High towards the far post,Howard with a header,Hes done it!Steve Howard has scored for Leicester City,Bedlam here at the Walkers Stadium. the Leeds United players are flat out on the turf in utter despair. Leicester City are going to win again

Return to “DCC Forum”