Which DCC System

Post all your DCC only problems, solutions and discoverys here.
wolvesdug

Which DCC System

Postby wolvesdug » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:27 pm

Ok it more than likely been asked a million times.

I will have around £150-£200 to spend.

I have a Select system which does what it says on the tin. It is also easy for my 6 year old to use.

I have been looking at the NCE power cab but the new Elite is out at the start of March and this will be able to interface with there new computer program.

So what else is out there and what would you spend your money on??

Thanks

Simon

m8internet

Re: Which DCC System

Postby m8internet » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:40 pm

I went for the Lenz Set 100, with TR150 transformer
This allowed me to add an additional DECT phone, for wireless handset control
In future I can then add computer control
Glasgow Queen Street Model Railway layout : modern image N gauge using DCC

poliss

Postby poliss » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:25 am

Railmaster isn't a new program. Hornby just bought it from the developers ready made. Unless the 'new' Elite reduces the number of button pushes to get it to do something then it's till not ideal. The NCE Power Cab coming out in Feb would be better on your budget.

Flakmunky

Postby Flakmunky » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:25 pm

I was in the same situation as you, similar budget and had narrowed it down to the NCE Power Cab and the Prodigy. In the end I went for the NCE as, despite the fact that it only has a 2 loco stack, it was £65 cheaper which went some way to buying all of the decoders and the SMD82s I wanted to control the point motors. The 2 loco stack on my layout isn't an issue as it is a terminus. If, in the future, I expand to a roundy round then I would be able to expand the system which increases the loco stack.

HAving said that, some one posted the other day that NCE are due to release a software update that will expand the loco stack from 2 to 6. I have emailed them and am awaiting a response on this. If they do then the gap narrows significantly between the Prodigy and the NCE...

Oh, the other thing that swayed it for me was the transformer; the NCEs is like your mobile phone charger, whereas the Prodigy's is more like a laptop charger, at least on the pics I've seen. It might have changed...

wolvesdug

Postby wolvesdug » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:29 pm

Thanks guys!!

i will wait until Feb as to what is happening to the NCE system.

Keep the recomendations coming!!

raistlin295

Postby raistlin295 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:37 pm

wolvesdug wrote:Thanks guys!!

If you are in Wolverhampton as your username suggests and would like to have a play with the NCE Powercab you'll be welcome :)
Paul

Finsbury Road My Layout

wolvesdug

Postby wolvesdug » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:59 pm

raistlin295 wrote:
wolvesdug wrote:Thanks guys!!

If you are in Wolverhampton as your username suggests and would like to have a play with the NCE Powercab you'll be welcome :)

Thanks for the offer :D !! I live just outside Shrewsbury now but work in Wolverhampton. Used to live there left about 8 years ago.

raistlin295

Postby raistlin295 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:08 pm

OK :D

If you can get to Fordhouses, the offer is there :)
Paul

Finsbury Road My Layout

matty198891

Postby matty198891 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:17 pm

I have for n gauge a Bachman ez controller (gtg like analogs 1s not the black new 1) and gaugemaster prodigy 1 if ur having syimple layout or just wanna run trains on dcc the ez is as simple as plug in and play(only 9 locos + a analogue loco) for my small layout ideal the blac new 1 sow. Work at nrm York and keeper losing sig luckerly was next to bacman stand he had no idea zed he had same. Prob 1 man sed use card over top a inferred recever and keep controller lower than cArd board
I also have gaugemaster prod 1 never used yet but I like the Hornby railmaster as can record movments so might get that ontracks sell it £199 for controller pluss railmStsr(£50 on it's owne) says save £70 also it 00 Hornby good as can plug in all point motors recorded signals to track frow dcc version of normal power clip so means cam be moved and easy to install
soz if hard under stand i am dislexic any part dont get tell will retype hope u understand can respond

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:09 pm

Flakmunky wrote:Oh, the other thing that swayed it for me was the transformer; the NCEs is like your mobile phone charger, whereas the Prodigy's is more like a laptop charger, at least on the pics I've seen. It might have changed...

If they went to the trouble of providing a laptop style "brick" charger, it probably means the components are too big and heavy to hang off a socket. So it's likely to be the better power supply. Wall warts are strictly for low power devices. I don't know if there's a spec for the maximum weight a 13A socket should support but hang too much weight off it and the contacts will start to lose tension and then become intermittent. That's why building "christmas trees" out of 2 and 3 way adaptors is a no no, as is plugging a wall wart into and adaptor.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

matty198891

Postby matty198891 » Thu May 26, 2011 2:01 pm

id say look at osbourn models they do for under £200 think £199 eliet controller and railmaster all in one witch ralmaster looks ace as can controle all your locos points signals frow pc and can record movments withc for my layout is what i want as its set betweem a scale 2 hour slot in morning as sun rises and it can controile all of it good if i eveer wnt to go to as model rail show and also saves having to press loads a buttons to find all acces controles and not remever numbers and it uses a photo of the loco in use and u can name it what u like same with signals and accserys
i find that better than backmans new ez as some times the resever loses the controler so all trains stop sow it oncce mates once model show and they say its eayer for that 2 have signals analouge rather than dcc but if want a top range 1 look ebay for gaugemaster prodagy 1or 2 both amazing but 1 will be muchg cheeper can sotre 9999 trains controle 30 at once dose all that select does and plus more like scale timing can hold up 2 9999 accesery points can add other hand unit controillers as well thats1 i 1st got but found bit hard to use when reading as no locos 2 try on down side cant use analoge traisn cost but if i got a more complecx layout then id def use it as it is mine is n gauge and has moving at most 8 trains on a out back 2 side fiddel yard 4 track layout with 3 yard or flexi track each on senic part a layout so not needed if i got bigger then defo eood use it

btw look out on ebay for the hornby bachman dcc controller how to use vids there also 1 of british model rauilway mag on there
to help u chosee
soz if hard under stand i am dislexic any part dont get tell will retype hope u understand can respond

roger7248

Postby roger7248 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:10 pm

matty198891 wrote:id say look at osbourn models they do for under £200 think £199 eliet controller and railmaster all in one witch ralmaster looks ace as can controle all your locos points signals frow pc and can record movments withc for my layout is what i want as its set betweem a scale 2 hour slot in morning as sun rises and it can controile all of it good if i eveer wnt to go to as model rail show and also saves having to press loads a buttons to find all acces controles and not remever numbers and it uses a photo of the loco in use and u can name it what u like same with signals and accserys
i find that better than backmans new ez as some times the resever loses the controler so all trains stop sow it oncce mates once model show and they say its eayer for that 2 have signals analouge rather than dcc but if want a top range 1 look ebay for gaugemaster prodagy 1or 2 both amazing but 1 will be muchg cheeper can sotre 9999 trains controle 30 at once dose all that select does and plus more like scale timing can hold up 2 9999 accesery points can add other hand unit controillers as well thats1 i 1st got but found bit hard to use when reading as no locos 2 try on down side cant use analoge traisn cost but if i got a more complecx layout then id def use it as it is mine is n gauge and has moving at most 8 trains on a out back 2 side fiddel yard 4 track layout with 3 yard or flexi track each on senic part a layout so not needed if i got bigger then defo eood use it

btw look out on ebay for the hornby bachman dcc controller how to use vids there also 1 of british model rauilway mag on there
to help u chosee

Can somebody translate this for me :lol:

Roger (RJ)

Postby Roger (RJ) » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:14 pm

roger7248 wrote:
matty198891 wrote:id say look at osbourn models they do for under £200 think £199 eliet controller and railmaster all in one witch ralmaster looks ace as can controle all your locos points signals frow pc and can record movments withc for my layout is what i want as its set betweem a scale 2 hour slot in morning as sun rises and it can controile all of it good if i eveer wnt to go to as model rail show and also saves having to press loads a buttons to find all acces controles and not remever numbers and it uses a photo of the loco in use and u can name it what u like same with signals and accserys

to help u chosee

Can somebody translate this for me :lol:

Highly unlikely :D

matty198891

Postby matty198891 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:39 am

in my eyes the top 5 are bachman( olde new) hornby elite and gaugemaster advance prodagy(1+2)

bachman old (bachman ez comand) is the older controller and like the anaglouge system with a knob to controlle and basicly controlers 9 dcc 1 analouge train with train functions can controlle acsesseys but takes up a loco spot. good if u have a simple layout dont want use dcc for points accserys or as a tesat and when i bourhgt it some years ago(befor new one came out) was £25 so quite cheep very simple to use as well a brilliant plug in play dcc no need to wory about set up as all u god to is program the loco to another number by holding it in till led flashes i find it ideal for my termanus single track branch as only has 4 analouge points i love the simpleness of it.
bachmann new (bachmann ez comand dynamis) good system easy to use wireless vire infered and can controle accserys at same time. cost is about £90 for controller . can controle 99 locos and 99 accsereerys + loco functions of lights and sounds. but other itams needed has to buy seperatly can also add seperate inferred units to lay out so as mving around can always stay conective . only bad thing i have seen was at nrm york they model show had waverlys modern model layout and the controler keeped loseing inferred coneection and auto stoped all the locos lookly next stand was bachmann they said they had seen it be for but new not what to do a visotr then subjested use carbord over the infer red unit as it the roof was effecting it
gaugemaster prodagy(1) can controle 999 loco and 999 accserys plus locos funtions- sound lights it can also controle accel desell rates also braking rates of a trian can use scale time speeds a good mid-hight dcc system .

gaugemaster prodagy(2)identical to 1 put is wireless can be conected to pc conroller can controle more locos at same time and use more than 1 had set good mid- hight dcc system.

hornby elite it a good system essy to use understand with a good manual also good video instrutions from hornby on youtube and also have a demo advert on the system it is about £140-£199 and can get cheeper ebay where i got mine good mid range dcc system alos a good add on for elite is railmaster ther bye it alone£50 or in bundle £199 form osbourn models and rmaster can controle trains as in elite but also controle crousing shunting spoeed can set up a scamati diuagram with point signals on that are click to change alos can record movment good for shows or as im making a moving diarama .

other dcc controler i like the look of the ztec controler but cost a lot a money and apart form that all controllers will work as well but i have not used seen used them

final look out for a NMA logo on what ever controler u buy thenu no most other dcc items (NMA logoed) will work on it

matty198891

Postby matty198891 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:39 am

hope this post makes more sence

Return to “DCC Forum”