Switching mechanism

Post all your DCC only problems, solutions and discoverys here.
Wickness Modeller

Switching mechanism

Postby Wickness Modeller » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:07 am

I'm looking for a switching mechanism which would enable me to simply plug in track wiring for a OO layout and also an N Gauge layout, main line and programming track for each. The idea is to switch between any of the four circuits without the need to remove and replace connections on the controller. Can anyone help?

Thanks, Douglas

bigbob

Re: Switching mechanism

Postby bigbob » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:13 am

Off the top of my head i would say 3 DPDT switches, 1st switch would select between the 00 layout and N layout. 2nd and 3rd switch would be sited on the relevant layout and switch between programing and layout tracks.

Flashbang will probably have a suitable diagram for this but if he doesn`t get on with one i will do you one tomorrow.

Bob
Growing old is compulsary, growing up is optional!

ALL CLASS 50`S SHOULD BE CUT UP INTO SMALL PIECES AND USED FOR SOMETHING MORE USEFUL LIKE A PAPER-WEIGHT

Flashbang

Postby Flashbang » Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:01 pm

Post removed as I misunderstood the OP request. :oops:
See further below.
Last edited by Flashbang on Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.
[Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Broken? It was working correctly when I left it.

bigbob

Postby bigbob » Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:58 pm

Didn`t realise you wanted DC aswell so yes 4 DPDT switches! :oops:
Growing old is compulsary, growing up is optional!

ALL CLASS 50`S SHOULD BE CUT UP INTO SMALL PIECES AND USED FOR SOMETHING MORE USEFUL LIKE A PAPER-WEIGHT

locoworks

Postby locoworks » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:42 pm

thats all very complicated, all you need are 2 SPDT switches, one for the N and one for the OO, you only need to break ONE wire to each circuit, a single wire can't do anything useful by itself so half the wires can be left connected. that's if you DON'T want DC too as FB's diagram assumes. you can also if no N and OO loco's share the same address, run both layouts simultaniously. if your programming track is not part of the layout itself? you can just put OO and N track pieces side by side and wire them in parallel, even neater would be to buy some tillig dual gauge track so you have one piece of track with 3 rails on it. my programming board/track has a piece of OO butted sideways upto a piece of HOm ( 12mm gauge ) track and by pure flook the gap between the rails from each next to each other give an N gauge spacing so using OO and HOm gives me OO, HOm ( i have some OOn3 isle of man stuff ) and N on the one board. i guess you could use OO and N and space them to leave 12mm between the inner rails if you want 12mm too?? my switching method assumes a command station with a seperate programming output and not one where the programming is done on the same outputs as the running lines ( digitrax empire builder ) if you weren't bothered about switching the programming tracks at all then 1PST pole switches would do to isolate the layouts, even a rotary switch could be used.

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:19 am

Much on the same lines as 'Locoworks' , when the OP doesn't ask for DC to be available, switching is potentially completely unnecessary. For operation personally I would differentiate the loco and other decoder addresses into N and OO groups, (something like N addresses start with any number up to 4, OO 5 to 9) and then just use one group of numbers or the other.

An on/off switch (SPST) in one bus wire per layout is all that is required if physical switching is desired to ensure that a layout positively cannot be operated. I have this on my layout, and if small kids are likely to be about I leave the layout with this switch out so they cannot just power on the DCC system and run the trains. KISS ! DCC power and DCC programme can be wired for common return (and DC as well should the OP actually require that) and that would be the bus wire to put the isolating on/off switch in. A switched feed using a SPDT switch to an isolated length of rail on the non-commoned side wil enable that length of track to be selected for power or programme, if it is desired to have the programme track as part of the layout. But the suggestion already made to have a seperate dedicated piece of track for programing purposes might be the simpler option, no switches required.

Flashbang

Postby Flashbang » Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:48 pm

Hi
Seems I misunderstood the OPs request! I thought is was for dc and DCC on either of the two loops (N & OO) and programming tracks for both gauges. Obviously not, as two posters above have pointed out. :oops: :oops:
I apologise for the confusion I may have placed on anyone. Therefore I have taken down my original posted reply as its obviously not applicable to the OPs question.

To use just DCC only on either of two layouts is considerable simpler and both layouts can be directly fed from the console or via a 2 x simple on/off switches to each gauges track if wished to provide complete isolation of one or the other gauges!

Where a programming track is required to be fed and the console has separate outputs for this, you can feed both programming tracks at once. Both programming tracks being livened at the same time when Programming is selected on the console and only one track being used as required for programming a loco.

Where the console does not support a separate programming output, then consider switching off the main tracks supply and diverting it to the programming tracks rails. This then avoids accidental reprogramming of any locos on the main lines. :D
[Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Broken? It was working correctly when I left it.

Return to “DCC Forum”