DCC and DCC ready

Post all your DCC only problems, solutions and discoverys here.
bud

DCC and DCC ready

Postby bud » Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:03 am

hi, as the title says really, whats the difference between dcc and dcc ready when buying a loco, might sound a bit of a silly question lol

thanks

ERMick

Re: DCC and DCC ready

Postby ERMick » Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:14 am

Hi bud.

"DCC Ready" means the loco has a socket fitted allowing you to add a DCC decoder to if you wish.

"DCC On Board" means the loco already has a decoder fitted, but if it just says "DCC" I'm not sure what that would mean - presumably it's the same as "DCC On Board", but I'd check first.

bud

Postby bud » Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:09 am

thats great, can i convert my analoge diesels to dcc?
thanks

RFS

Postby RFS » Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:12 am

And "DCC Compatible" means the loco does not have a decoder socket, but a decoder can be hard-wired. Beware of some locos such as Bachmann split-chassis locos which are not compatible with DCC as they stand. They require significant work to the chassis (requring it to be dismantled and re-assembled) before a decoder can be fitted.
Robert Smith

K9-70

Postby K9-70 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:01 am

ERMick wrote:Hi bud.

"DCC Ready" means the loco has a socket fitted allowing you to add a DCC decoder to if you wish.

"DCC On Board" means the loco already has a decoder fitted, but if it just says "DCC" I'm not sure what that would mean - presumably it's the same as "DCC On Board", but I'd check first.

DCC On Board:
The decoder is built as part of the circuit board and therefore cannot be removed.
To replace the decoder you have to hardwire in a new decoder.
Some early Bachmann Class 25's use this method instead of a 8 pin decoder socket.

K9-70
The Rides the "REASON" the "DESTINATION" is only an "EXCUSE" :-).

ERMick

Postby ERMick » Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:02 am

bud wrote:thats great, can i convert my analoge diesels to dcc?
thanks

You can indeed. The process would vary according to the locomotive concerned and involves soldering. You'd really need to look into the specifics of the loco you want to convert but there's a wealth of information on these forums and also on places like the Hornby website. For starters there are these...

http://www.hornby.com/digital/dcc-installation-guide,57,HAR.html

If you have any specific questions about what you want to do with the loco you're working on then I'm sure somebody on here can help.

RFS

Postby RFS » Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:31 pm

K9-70 wrote:

DCC On Board:
The decoder is built as part of the circuit board and therefore cannot be removed.
Some early Bachmann Class 25's use this method instead of a 8 pin decoder socket.

K9-70

Over the last couple of years I've purchased 4 locos described as "DCC on board" - Bachmann 4MT 4-6-0 and 2-6-0 and Hornby King Arthur and M7. All 4 had decoders fitted in the standard 8-pin socket so were easy to change once I'd outgrown the entry-level decoders. 3 now have TCS DP2X-UK and one has Lenz Standard + as the TCS decoder wouldn't fit. Worth checking the service sheet on the relevant manufacturer's website to see what it says about how the decoder is fitted to a particular loco.
Robert Smith

K9-70

Postby K9-70 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:15 pm

RFS wrote:
K9-70 wrote:

DCC On Board:

K9-70

Over the last couple of years I've purchased 4 locos described as "DCC on board" - Bachmann 4MT 4-6-0 and 2-6-0 and Hornby King Arthur and M7. All 4 had decoders fitted in the standard 8-pin socket so were easy to change once I'd outgrown the entry-level decoders. 3 now have TCS DP2X-UK and one has Lenz Standard + as the TCS decoder wouldn't fit. Worth checking the service sheet on the relevant manufacturer's website to see what it says about how the decoder is fitted to a particular loco.

No, the only service sheets for my Bachmann Class 25 are for the 8 & 21 pin decoders, which I have several examples of.
I think this Class 25 came from either the goods or passenger train set.
One day I'll get around to hardwiring a Lenz Silver + decoder in place of the circuit board.

K9-70
The Rides the "REASON" the "DESTINATION" is only an "EXCUSE" :-).

Return to “DCC Forum”