DCC Engines don't move

Post all your DCC only problems, solutions and discoverys here.
Ashish

DCC Engines don't move

Postby Ashish » Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:46 am

Hi Friends,
I bought five DCC equipped bachmann engines of which 3 ran out of the box after reprogramming the factory set no 3 decoder address. two other however refused to move at all and do not have the "buzzing" which is usual on the service track. is there a way to find out if the decoder is factory set to a different address. I have taken apart the locos and all connections seem to be in order. I am using a Dynamis system for programming and running. If this issue has already been addressed on this forum please guide me to the correct post.

thanks and regards

Ashish, (Lucknow, India)

RFS

Re: DCC Engines don't move

Postby RFS » Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:34 am

If you're setting the address on the programming track, then you don't need to know the loco's existing address. You should just be able to set a new address of your choice.

I've not heard of locos buzzing when on the service track - mine certainly don't do that.
Robert Smith

Flashbang

Postby Flashbang » Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:43 am

Hi
Assuming the Bachmann locos are fitted with Bachmann decoders? I would place each of the two non working locos one at a time onto the programming track and try to reset the decoders back to their factory default values, which will mean their address will then become 03 too.

Do the reset by using CV8 and entering the value of 8. This will reset all Bachmann decoders to their factory (as supplied new) default values.

If this fails then I suspect either the decoder has become disconnected somehow? e.g. Possibly unplugged, has a broken or unsoldered wire or possibly defective wheel contacts not making contact with the wheels correctly or the decoder has blown and unfortunately will need to be replaced.

If you cant reset the decoder open the loco(s) and look to see if they have 8 pin DCC plug/socket fitted? Now can you fit another decoder to prove the first decoder is defective? Or even unplug the decoder and fit a dc blanking plug and try the loco on dc power to see if it runs at all. Even if you don't own a dc controller you can still test it on dc by using a 9 volt PP3 type battery touched onto the main pick-up wheels and this should turn the motor of a loco with a dc blanking plug fitted.
[Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Broken? It was working correctly when I left it.

sishades

Postby sishades » Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:28 am

Check that the locos already on the track are not drawing too much current. This is unlikely but worth a shot.
High towards the far post,Howard with a header,Hes done it!Steve Howard has scored for Leicester City,Bedlam here at the Walkers Stadium. the Leeds United players are flat out on the turf in utter despair. Leicester City are going to win again

Ashish

Postby Ashish » Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:42 pm

Flashbang wrote:Hi
Assuming the Bachmann locos are fitted with Bachmann decoders? I would place each of the two non working locos one at a time onto the programming track and try to reset the decoders back to their factory default values, which will mean their address will then become 03 too.

Do the reset by using CV8 and entering the value of 8. This will reset all Bachmann decoders to their factory (as supplied new) default values.

If this fails then I suspect either the decoder has become disconnected somehow? e.g. Possibly unplugged, has a broken or unsoldered wire or possibly defective wheel contacts not making contact with the wheels correctly or the decoder has blown and unfortunately will need to be replaced.

If you cant reset the decoder open the loco(s) and look to see if they have 8 pin DCC plug/socket fitted? Now can you fit another decoder to prove the first decoder is defective? Or even unplug the decoder and fit a dc blanking plug and try the loco on dc power to see if it runs at all. Even if you don't own a dc controller you can still test it on dc by using a 9 volt PP3 type battery touched onto the main pick-up wheels and this should turn the motor of a loco with a dc blanking plug fitted.

Thanks Flashbang,
Please tell me how to reset the decoder to factory value using the Dynamis, I read the manual but could not fathom how to program the CV.

regards

Ashish

Flashbang

Postby Flashbang » Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:12 pm

Ashish wrote:Please tell me how to reset the decoder to factory value using the Dynamis, I read the manual but could not fathom how to program the CV.

regards

Ashish

Hi
While I don't own a Dynamis, I see in the manual its outlined with some examples...
Follow the instructions in the Dynamis manual pages 16 & 17.
Replace whatever CV number they are using fro the demonstration with CV8 and enter a value of 8 once that CV is entered and accepted by the system.

Ashish

Postby Ashish » Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:51 pm

Flashbang wrote:
Ashish wrote:Please tell me how to reset the decoder to factory value using the Dynamis, I read the manual but could not fathom how to program the CV.

regards

Ashish

Hi
While I don't own a Dynamis, I see in the manual its outlined with some examples...
Follow the instructions in the Dynamis manual pages 16 & 17.
Replace whatever CV number they are using fro the demonstration with CV8 and enter a value of 8 once that CV is entered and accepted by the system.

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you... it worked!

regards

Ashish

Flashbang

Postby Flashbang » Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:29 pm

Well done.
Pleased to read you're up and running. :D

Ashish

Postby Ashish » Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:26 pm

Does anyone know if the Dynamis System can run a DC loco as well....?

thanks in advance

Ashish

K9-70

Postby K9-70 » Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:35 pm

Ashish wrote:Does anyone know if the Dynamis System can run a DC loco as well....?

thanks in advance

Ashish

In a word, NO! the Dynamis controller does not allow you to run a DC locomotive.
If you do place a DC locomotive on the track, all you get isa buzzing sound and if you leave the locomotive on the track for any length of time you'll end up burning out the motor.

K9-70
The Rides the "REASON" the "DESTINATION" is only an "EXCUSE" :-).

Ashish

Postby Ashish » Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:04 pm

Thanks! just in time to prevent me from frying that diesel switcher!!

regards

Ashish

Return to “DCC Forum”