DCC Ready NO socket or decoder fitted???

Post all your DCC only problems, solutions and discoverys here.
marhels

DCC Ready NO socket or decoder fitted???

Postby marhels » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:30 pm

HI all. I have seen an ad for a Hornby Class 47 that says it is DCC ready but without socket or decoder fitted but at what seems a bargain price (£26)...so, I now have 2 questions.
1 How can it be called DCC ready if the socket is not fitted?
2 What is involved in fitting a decoder?
I don't mind getting stuck in and having a go
Thanks in advance for any answers I might get :roll:

locoworks

Re: DCC Ready NO socket or decoder fitted???

Postby locoworks » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:47 pm

dcc ready with no socket means there will be a PCB with solder pads that you solder the wires to. you don't need to do any rewiring and insulating of motors like you would with stock DC model. fitting a decoder is basically a case of splicing it in between the pickups and the motor. aslong as both of the motor brushes are isolated from the chassis this is fairly straight forward. the complications arise when you have a non insulated wheels on axles that turn the whole chassis block into one pole of the feed with one brush to the motor directly touching the chassis so there is no obvious place to break the electrical circuit that side. but even that type of chassis can be chipped with a bit of insulation tape and a dremel.

hobby boy

Postby hobby boy » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:59 pm

a dcc ready loco is a locomotive with a blanking socket ready for a decoder.
Here is a pic of a blanking socket with a plug (photos are from hornby flying scotsman tutorial)

And here is one without the plug (remember to have the first pin on the plug connected with pin 1 of the socket)

And here is one with a decoder fitted

If you can't find these, the loco is not dcc ready

Andrew
I have this engine like the picture :) GWR 0-6-0 Pannier tank
Check out Andrew's layout Hookstoke Junction UPDATED! Should do more work as it's now the Easter Holidays :) After the holdiays are over, my layout won't get updated much Age = 15

marhels

Postby marhels » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:13 pm

Thanks for that people, things are a lot clearer now. I am going to buy the class 47 and a chip :D

hobby boy

Postby hobby boy » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:41 pm

Ok enjoy your new dcc train! Also do you have a dcc layout we haven't seen yet?

Andrew
I have this engine like the picture :) GWR 0-6-0 Pannier tank
Check out Andrew's layout Hookstoke Junction UPDATED! Should do more work as it's now the Easter Holidays :) After the holdiays are over, my layout won't get updated much Age = 15

marhels

Postby marhels » Sat May 01, 2010 4:00 pm

Not even got the first piece of track yet, still at the planning stage. I have been looking at Google Earth and have decided I might have a go with a variation of Norwich terminus. I am more interested in the running of trains and track and point work than anything else. I want to use a 6'x4' base for an oval of track with the engineering works running into the middle, then a 4'x2' base to run off that into the station. The whole thing has to be fairly portable so I can put it away after a session. Any comments?

Return to “DCC Forum”