NEM 651 Decoders

Post all your DCC only problems, solutions and discoverys here.
vivahc

NEM 651 Decoders

Post by vivahc »

Hi I model N Gauge and have just fitted a Bachmann six pin decoder to a dapol 9F,DCC READY, I have tried it on an non DCC controller and track and nothing happens, I also swapped the decoder for another Bachmann decoder, same thing, what seems to be the problem, any ideas. I have fitted them to other locos, no problem. Vivahc. :?
bigbob

Re: NEM 651 Decoders

Post by bigbob »

Did it work on DC without a decoder? Is your layout DC or DCC?

Bob
Growing old is compulsary, growing up is optional!

ALL CLASS 50`S SHOULD BE CUT UP INTO SMALL PIECES AND USED FOR SOMETHING MORE USEFUL LIKE A PAPER-WEIGHT
Sprintex

Post by Sprintex »

vivahc wrote:Hi I model N Gauge and have just fitted a Bachmann six pin decoder to a dapol 9F,DCC READY, I have tried it on an non DCC controller and track and nothing happens
Er, why?

Why convert it to DCC then put it on a DC track??? :?

Paul
m8internet

Post by m8internet »

I assume it is a 36-558 decoder

It won''t work until programmed
Have you done this?

If you have not programmed it, what address did you try to contact it on?
Glasgow Queen Street Model Railway layout : modern image N gauge using DCC
bigbob

Post by bigbob »

He`s trying it on a DC track for some reason!
Growing old is compulsary, growing up is optional!

ALL CLASS 50`S SHOULD BE CUT UP INTO SMALL PIECES AND USED FOR SOMETHING MORE USEFUL LIKE A PAPER-WEIGHT
m8internet

Post by m8internet »

As above, it won't work on either until programmed
From what I can work out Bachmann send these out with DC turned off, so as to prevent damage
I noticed this when testing two of mine on DC (I often do that just to check it is actually working, but you can't do that with a 36-558 until programmed)
Brianetta

Post by Brianetta »

bigbob wrote:He`s trying it on a DC track for some reason!
I do this a lot. All the club layouts are DC here, so if I want to stretch a loco's legs, it needs to be able to handle that. My own layout is DCC, but very small.
vivahc

Post by vivahc »

Hi Tyou all, first Bob and Paul- the loco worked fine without the decoder, my layout is DCC and after removing my DC controllers I thought it would be usefull to use one for testing that the loco worked ok after fitting the decoder. My layout is up in the loft and I do all my work on the table downstairs that is the reason for using DC. M8internet- the 2 decoders are new and have not been programmed yet so looks like problem solved, I will take them up the loft and program them. Brianetta- glad I,m not the only one to do things backwards. :D :D Many thanks to you all. Alan
m8internet

Post by m8internet »

You've still not advised us as to the make and model of the decoders!

I now have eight 36-558 decoders fitted and they are a NIGHTMARE, until correctly programmed
I now use a Dapol Class 66 to program them
Once programmed I then remove them from that and put them in the correct item!

Worst of the lot were the Dapol Mark 3 DVTs, however once programmed using the method above they have been perfect
I then used the same method for the BachFar Class 220 and Dapol Class 221 trailers
vivahc

Post by vivahc »

Hi m8internet, sorry about that the decoders are 36-558. I have programmed a Bachmann Jubilee ok, but only the loco address, do you think I should use this loco for all new decoders as I have not got a dapol 66. Thanks for your help. Alan
klaatu

Post by klaatu »

m8internet wrote:I now have eight 36-558 decoders fitted and they are a NIGHTMARE, until correctly programmed
I now use a Dapol Class 66 to program them
Once programmed I then remove them from that and put them in the correct item!
Could you expand on what you mean by "correctly programmed", please? I put a 36-558 into a GF Cl 150, and it worked fine without any programming. The instructions do say that the default settings are intended for GF locos. But after a short while, the chip died and had to be replaced, which made me wonder whether there were some settings I should have changed, despite what the instructions say.

Steve
Just playing trains - not a "proper modeller"
m8internet

Post by m8internet »

As above, I found in some locos the decoder would not program to start with
I had a Dapol Class 66 that was already programmed, so took the decoder out of that and used that chassis to program the decoder
I've had to do that a few times now