What size wire for adding Pickups to a tender - say?

Post all your DCC only problems, solutions and discoverys here.
NedFlanders

What size wire for adding Pickups to a tender - say?

Postby NedFlanders » Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:41 pm

Hi all,

I keep meaning to hunt for this but keep forgetting.

If I want to add pickups to a tender say ( I have a couple of packs of extra pickups from DCC concepts), the standard Layout dropper wire ( 7 strand I think it is?) seems a bit heavy/doesn't flex the best.

Whereas that lovely fine wire that goes from a DCC chip to the motor or from the DCC chip to a keep alive is excellently supple.

What is the spec of that wire? I'd love to get a nice length of it in black to allow me to rewire all my locos to have pickups on all wheels and for the Tender ones I think it would work great between the main body of the loco and the tender. If the wire is good enough for the chip to the motor - it must be good enough to go to the Tender?

thanks

Ned.
Getting back into railways, one step at a time.
Ned's Workbench - https://tinyurl.com/y4jby73c
The UppydownyRoundyRoundyRailway - https://tinyurl.com/y6stelsr

Roger (RJ)

Re: What size wire for adding Pickups to a tender - say?

Postby Roger (RJ) » Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:42 pm

Try searching for Decoder wire. There are a few places that sell it in short lengths, including DCC concepts. I think it's 10/0.1.

Bigmet

Re: What size wire for adding Pickups to a tender - say?

Postby Bigmet » Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:15 pm

Before buying anything in the way of supplies, install wipers in the tender of the loco that's your highest priority for extra pick up, and assess the dragginess. Then decide to take those wipers off, and put all the effort into improving pick up from the driven wheels.

The driven wheels are superior for pick up purposes compared to any unpowered wheel. They carry more weight, 'agitate' themselves on the rails, and the motor directly overcomes any drag from the wipers: whereas wipers on unpowered wheels are brakes that steal from what traction is available. (If you really need pick up from unpowered wheels the star performer is split axle with pick up from the pinpoint axle ends; try Bachmann's lit coaches and MU trailers to appreciate how good this is.)

Return to “DCC Forum”