Dapol Western sound

Post all your DCC only problems, solutions and discoverys here.
woodys100

Dapol Western sound

Postby woodys100 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:15 pm

I have a few Westerns, Dapol and Heljan using a variety of sound chips from the last couple of years.
The next project is a Dapol Western and the aim is to get the best sound now possible.
I know it's subjective and so forth but just to gauge opinion...what do people think is the best system, ie chip, sound files and speaker(s).
Much appreciated.

woodys100

Re: Dapol Western sound

Postby woodys100 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:23 am

Just fitted an EM 2 speaker with legoman lol v4 it sounds awesome!

Peterm

Postby Peterm » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:34 am

I've been interested in the EM2 speakers for some of my Zimo chipped stuff. I don't do rmweb any more, but there's a thread on there about them with some links to videos with sound.
Pete.

Peterm

Postby Peterm » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:16 am

I've got a pair of EM2's on the way from DC Kits. I'm thinking at the moment that I might try my luck with a Bachmann Western and a class 40, both Paul Chetters sound files. As I said on MRF, if I have success with putting them in the body, I'll post some pic's. I don't fancy attacking the chassis' with a file (no milling machine), but we'll see what happens. I've got a Bachmann Deltic with no sound but I'd love to get a sound decoder and an EM2 in it.
Pete.

Peterm

Postby Peterm » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:45 am

'Ere we go. Two EM2's arrived today and I've started chopping the Heljan Western chassis about. It's not in yet and I'm not certain it'll fit. I don't want to make it irreversible and if all else fails I'll try in the fuel tank which is where I had the bass reflex, but it attracts everything so I'd sooner not if I can help it. I've taken a couple of pic's and I'll put them up if it's a success.
Pete.

Peterm

Postby Peterm » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:41 am

Fitted one to my Heljan Western. Here's the speaker I first installed and removed the other day. It's a bass reflex that I had under the tank, a fair difference in size.
Speakers compared.jpg

The bit of the chassis I needn't have milled... Dremelled, filed etc.
No-Need-to-mill..jpg

Where I should have milled.
Where-I-should-have-milled..jpg

Where it's going, above the bogie tower.
Where-it's-going.jpg

And again.
Where-it's-going-2.jpg

The Heljan 47's next I think, or maybe the Bachmann class 40. If I'm really pleased with the sound I'll save up to get some more.
Pete.

Peterm

Postby Peterm » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:05 pm

It's in and tested without the body being fitted and it sounds completely different. Nice deep throated engine sound along with the horns.

I've done away with the circuit board so just have to figure out the wiring for making the front and tail lights independent.
Pete.

woodys100

Postby woodys100 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:46 pm

Hi Peterm,
Looks good in the Heljan pointing upwards...how did you get on with the circuit board?
I have a couple of Heljan 52's, looks like two EM1's would fit....?
I put an EM2 in a dapol 52 and posted on RM web.
Woody

Peterm

Postby Peterm » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:19 pm

Circuit board is now a piece of plasticard blue tacked in. It looks a jumble of wires at the moment, but I'll try and tidy it up. I'm wiring the lights to be switched independently front and rear. I imagine two EM2's would go in if you took some chassis away at the other end, but having heard mine with the body on, I doubt it's needed. These speakers are 4 ohms which means (I think) that connecting them in parallel would give 2 ohms and in series would give 16 ohms. If I'm right, then either way would damage the amp in the decoder.
Pete.

Return to “DCC Forum”