New Street Station

Post anything here to do with Model Railway Photography

Moderator: saslord

stuartp

Re: New Street Station

Post by stuartp »

New Street in the 50s in 8 foot by 6 foot, or possibly half of it, or possibly the very earliest version of it (with 26 wagon turntables), possibly in HO, a lot of complex trackwork in set track, and now real iron bridges because traditional modelling materials are a compromise (http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... 75#p608675). We've all drawn trackplans which don't fit the available space but I'm beginning to think you're pulling our collective legs.
Portwilliam - Southwest Scotland in the 1960s, in OO - http://stuart1968.wordpress.com/
flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Post by flying scotsman123 »

I am beginning to wonder Stuart...
Stone station in pre-grouping days, my layout. Workbench for other projects here.
townie

Post by townie »

Well what can I say. I came onto this forum to try and gain some tips but obviously some don't believe me. So I have decided to call it a day after just a short time. What I will say is that when I have finished I will post the photos and anyone will be welcomed to come and check the model. To the rest who had a little belief in me thanks for the advise. There is a model at Manchester Victoria mostly made out of metal so it can be done.
b308

Post by b308 »

Townie, you asked for advice as a "newbie" and got a lot of it from people who have been modelling for decades and know the pitfalls a newcomer can fall into. You then proceeded to challenge our advice, especially about how much you can fit into an 8x6 in 4mm scale.

Perhaps you don't feel able to take on board that you might be mistaken in what you want to do in the space you have available, I am sorry you don't. But if you can come back on here and prove that you can fit a scale model of New Street station in an 8x6 in 4mm scale them fine, but I, for one, feel that you need to start being realistic. We've proved that you can't and even modelling small parts of it will be a challenge.

However if that's the way you feel, that sage advice from experienced modellers is something to be ignored, then fair enough. Go you're own way, but don't say we didn't warn you!

If however you start looking at it more realistically and need help with those compromises we all have to make please come back and talk to us, we are always willing to try to help...
stuartp

Post by stuartp »

What b308 said. You came here for advice and it was freely given by people experienced in building structures, in historical modelling and in squeezing quarts into pint pots. You even received advice from someone who has actually built a model of Birmingham New Street (albeit a later version). You then either ignored the advice or just plain told us we were wrong, so don't come over all hurt now. Ignoring advice is your prerogative, it's your model after all, but if you start from a position of '"please help me because I know nothing" then correct us when we aren't wrong, you can hardly be surprised if we question your motives.
Portwilliam - Southwest Scotland in the 1960s, in OO - http://stuart1968.wordpress.com/
luckymucklebackit

Post by luckymucklebackit »

Other Model Railway Forums are available, feel free to post there and get their reaction.

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge
Jim S-W

Post by Jim S-W »

townie wrote:Anyone know anything about loading gauges at New St? From what I can make out there was a truck behind the loco loaded above the height of carriages.
Standard LNWR loading gauge. If you did work at new street you will realise that you need the tunnels as you can't shunt in just the station throat as there's no signalling that allows you to reverse in this area (never was) so any shunting would require the loco and train to enter the tunnel. Of course to shunt you need to move trains arround, if you don't then it's just kinda pointlessly driving a loco arround.

Have you thought of monument lane instead?

Cheers

Jim