New Street Station

Post anything here to do with Model Railway Photography

Moderator: saslord

luckymucklebackit

Re: New Street Station

Postby luckymucklebackit » Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:22 pm

b308 wrote:Going on from Jim's comments you could just do one end of the station like someone else did on here (I believe their's was based on the gap between the two tunnels on the south end). You could model the station throat at the North end, with just the platforms sticking out). It would still need some reductions and modifications to fit in an 8x6 but would be feasible, though you'd probably have to do it on a curve to fit into an 8x6.

That might work right enough - have a look at this concept http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/2978-waverley-west-princes-st-gardens-and-haymarket-mpd/

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

townie

Postby townie » Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:03 pm

Thanks for all the comments and advise. As I will only be building one model i can resize most of the layout and use digital. I have no idea how long it will take but I'm in no hurry. I will try to stick to 00 scale but obviously will have to make sacrifices where necessary. I think the roofs will be a problem don't know whether to use wood or something like aluminium any suggestions.

stuartp

Postby stuartp » Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:14 pm

Here's Jim's (Luckymucklebackit's) plan with an 8x4 board superimposed. You could do just the turntable end in that space, which would actually look pretty good.
New Street1.jpg
New Street1.jpg (119.82 KiB) Viewed 1778 times

Somewhere on the net is a photo of Jim Smith-Wright's model at the bare boards stage (the model linked to on page 1). It goes all the way around the outside of his house and then some.
Portwilliam - Southwest Scotland in the 1960s, in OO - http://stuart1968.wordpress.com/

townie

Postby townie » Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:52 pm

Perhaps I could make this in HO gauge, as all my trains are HO. Mind you most of them are electric so wouldn't look good on a 1940s/50 model plus the fact they are German.

townie

Postby townie » Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:06 pm

After listening to the experts and please don't take that the wrong way if your not an expert but you certainly know a lot more than me. If this does not fit on an 8X6 board I will have to look at forgetting the turn table and just concentrate on the station. But if anyone can shed a light on Curzon Street goods depot I would be interested as I haven't started yet. Thanks for all your comments. The reason I picked New st was sentimental as I used to work there, not in the 40s/50s I might add.

flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Postby flying scotsman123 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:24 pm

townie wrote:After listening to the experts and please don't take that the wrong way if your not an expert but you certainly know a lot more than me. If this does not fit on an 8X6 board I will have to look at forgetting the turn table and just concentrate on the station.

I don't think that hugely helps to be honest. If you want to model a part of new street station on 8'x6', a good place to start would be to take a closer look at stuartP's post containing the map of new street with an 8'x4' scaled on it, and pick an are of it roughly the size of the red box you'd like to model. things can be distorted a bit, but there is no way you're going to fit even just the whole station on your board unless you distort it such that it is no longer Birmingham New Street at all.
Stone station in pre-grouping days, my layout. Workbench for other projects here.

ParkeNd

Postby ParkeNd » Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:39 pm

townie wrote:After listening to the experts and please don't take that the wrong way if your not an expert but you certainly know a lot more than me. If this does not fit on an 8X6 board I will have to look at forgetting the turn table and just concentrate on the station. But if anyone can shed a light on Curzon Street goods depot I would be interested as I haven't started yet. Thanks for all your comments. The reason I picked New st was sentimental as I used to work there, not in the 40s/50s I might add.

As fs123 has just said, I suspect that you have either not looked at the post he mentions, or have not used the slider on the right hand side of the diagram to scroll the diagram downwards so that you can see the red box marked on it - surrounding the turntable.

If you look at the diagram you can see how much you can model in your space - in particular that you cannot even manage to model half the station platform lengths.

Thus you can only pick an area that fits in the red box - wherever you imagine moving the red box to.

townie

Postby townie » Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:43 pm

Taken on board thank you.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:07 am

Even if the area in thered box is used you are either going to have to cut it off at just above carriage top level or have the X shaped bridge (and a wide one at that) above you tracks. BNS just isn't modeller friendly.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

GaryAM

Postby GaryAM » Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:13 pm

hiya Townie, why don't you try out a free program - SCARM, it allows you to plan a layout to scale. You can set a board to your 8x4 (scaled) It'll allow you to set track and will give you some idea of what you can, and cannot fit in. There's tutorials for the program and is quite easy to learn. Have fun:)

townie

Postby townie » Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:21 pm

Hi Gary and thanks for the tip I will try that tonight.

townie

Postby townie » Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:37 pm

Hi Gary and everyone I have looked at your suggestion SCARM very good and very informative thank you. After careful consideration and listening to others on the forum I have decided to build a model New Street L&NWR 1852 station. This will make more sense cutting the station half. I have pre ordered my sundeala to be picked up on the 1st along with some Peco track.

Jim S-W

Postby Jim S-W » Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:44 pm

You can fit the station throats in 8ft, that was my original plan but there's no way you could do it with set track as the pointwork is just too intertwined to break it down into standard pieces. That's the 60s station which was much much simpler than the pre 60s station. There were several scissors crossings (non of them straight) and at least 1 4 way point in there somewhere. (given how crammed in all the check rails were it would be extremely difficult of not impossible to build it in 00. Once you get to complex track formations p4 is actually the easier and sometimes the only option)

Platform 1 is actually quite short for a mainline station at just 350 meters. The longest train new street could handle was just 15 bogie coaches and a loco.

It would be great fun to build all that complicated track though

Cheers

Jim

townie

Postby townie » Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:54 pm

Hi Jim I have looked at photos and think I can cut back on platform lengths using Flexible Track in platform runs. A lot of platform was wasted. Somehow I will get over the points and cross overs. One of the problems I see is fitting at least 26 turntables into the model, I know there only for wagons but they have to be included. I,m going to The signal box model shop in April so hope to pick up some more tips.

townie

Postby townie » Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:41 pm

Anyone know anything about loading gauges at New St? From what I can make out there was a truck behind the loco loaded above the height of carriages.

Return to “Model Railway Photography”