My Dads layout from the late 60s

Post anything here to do with Model Railway Photography

Moderator: saslord

Wisey

Re: My Dads layout from the late 60s

Postby Wisey » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:18 pm

flying scotsman123 wrote:
Wisey wrote:
JohnN wrote:I appreciate your space constraints, but have you room for a small 00 shelf layout, end to end or shunting puzzle or even an N gauge layout?

Hi John. To be honest, I do have a bit of room if I wanted to do something in a smaller way. The fact of the matter is that I have too many other things that I'm in the process of working on. You see, when my dad eventually completed his layout, he moved onto the bigger stuff and decided to build a 10 1/4" gauge railway. Myself and my brother are in the process of overhauling a couple of the loco's at the moment.

Steve.

Wow! You will be forgiven for not having the time for a small OO gauge layout if you could post a couple of pictures of that pretty please? :)

A very impressive layout here, it's good that you have plenty of pictures of it to preserve it. As has been said, the standard of modelling is good for today, but back then it would have been amazing with what little there was!

Here are some pics of the 10 1/4" gauge stuff!

The first picture shows my dad with the first loco he built based on an LMS Mogul. He named it 'The Lady Jennifer' after my sister. This would've been around 1978-1979 and took him 4 years to build.

This picture shows the Standard class 4 built by my brother in 1992. This took him 5 years to build.

This picture shows the last loco to be built, Coronation Pacific 'City Of Westminster'. This was built mainly between my dad, my brother, and another friend Mick Milsom. Myself and Mick's son David were also getting more involved at this point, and I did bits of machining such as tender axle boxes, brake blocks etc. This loco took about 3 years to build and was completed in 1995.

This last picture shows the Class 47 diesel that my dad built back in 1986. It was basically built out of any bits and pieces he had and utilized the engine and gearbox from his old Ford Anglia 100E.

Ps. As you may have noticed in the first couple of pictures of my dad's LMS Mogul, he decided to paint a copper capped chimney which is typical GWR, and he did so for reasons he was never sure of himself! This was done away with in later years.

Steve.

flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Postby flying scotsman123 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:32 pm

Wisey wrote:Ps. As you may have noticed in the first couple of pictures of my dad's LMS Mogul, he decided to paint a copper capped chimney which is typical GWR, and he did so for reasons he was never sure of himself! This was done away with in later years.

Steve.

Nowt wrong with a bit of copper where I live! I did suggest doing that to our chairman on the GWSR for a good April Fool's day article! Fantastic engineering, you can't not be impressed by the level of skill that's gone into that, and at that scale very imposing too, and I think G scale's big enough!
"listen carefully, i shall say this only once"

Notroh

Postby Notroh » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:52 pm

Wisey

Your dad was a star - an LMS man

These locos are just magnificent I am so glad you and your brother are still working on them. His enthusiasm has been passed on
Difficult to do for me, 3 now grown up girls...

Peter
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=50617#p620337
French N, too much fun!

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:13 pm

I have two grandsons and two granddaughters, it's the girls who take most interest in the trains, at 9 and 7yrs old they can both put together a simple computer program and watching them put together a plastic gearbox was an education for me!
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

skyblue

Postby skyblue » Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:30 am

Your dad was certainly a very talented man! I look forward to seeing more of his work! :D

Wisey

Postby Wisey » Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:05 pm

Thank you everyone for your kind comments. The loco's were part of the Medford & Willow End Railway (M&WER) that my father started in 1978. The railway ran around the perimeter of the Polytechnic Sports Ground in Chiswick, London, where my dad was head groundsman at the time. We all lived on site of the sports ground and would run the railway every Friday evening during the summer months. This was the only time we could effectively run because of the sport going on during the rest of the week. The railway closed in 1999 due to re-developments of the ground itself that were about to take place at that time.

In the mean time, the loco's have run on a couple of other railways and are now being overhauled before being permanently based at the 'Ingfield Light Railway' in Five Oaks, West Sussex.

For anyone who is interested, I have set up a Youtube Channel dedicated to our old Medford & Willow End Railway, using video clips that were taken over the years back in the days when we were running it. Please click on the link below to access the different selection of clips.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1pLVNCWcYj22HdOSl8P1dQ

Steve.

Wisey

Postby Wisey » Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:08 pm

Bufferstop wrote:I have two grandsons and two granddaughters, it's the girls who take most interest in the trains, at 9 and 7yrs old they can both put together a simple computer program and watching them put together a plastic gearbox was an education for me!

I sometimes think my Peugeot 106 was built with a plastic gearbox! :D

Steve.

Return to “Model Railway Photography”