Dapol Engine Shed

Post anything here to do with Model Railway Photography

Moderator: saslord

carnehan

Dapol Engine Shed

Postby carnehan » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:01 pm

Having been away from the hobby for many years I am now in the process of gathering together track, rolling stock, engines, buildings and other accessories for a layout that has plans in the final stages.

My first purchase was the Dapol engine shed. Its been a long time since I did any model making but have thoroughly enjoyed building this little kit. It is my first time using weathering techniques and have been pleasantly surprised by the results using only basic colours in acrylic paints. I can't wait until the next project starts.

I have posted a couple of pictures below and any comments, criticisms or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Attachments
Dapol Engine Shed 22.JPG
Dapol Engine Shed 22.JPG (76.06 KiB) Viewed 2656 times
Dapol Engine Shed 11.JPG
Dapol Engine Shed 11.JPG (73.37 KiB) Viewed 2656 times

Terrier

Re: Dapol Engine Shed

Postby Terrier » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:27 pm

When i first bought one (still building mine) i was delighted with the wooden staff lean-to on the back of the shed, it's a nice feature. the kit's are as old as the hills, but if you do a decent job, they look cracking, like your one.

Chris P

carnehan

Postby carnehan » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:34 pm

Thanks terrier. I picked it up on ebay for £6 and was sceptical about the quality of the kit but was pleasantly surprised. Be interested to see your result when you get yours finished.

Essex2Visuvesi

Postby Essex2Visuvesi » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:43 pm

Terrier wrote:When i first bought one (still building mine) i was delighted with the wooden staff lean-to on the back of the shed, it's a nice feature. the kit's are as old as the hills, but if you do a decent job, they look cracking, like your one.

Chris P

I always thought it was the Privvy :oops:
Si quam primum vos operor non successio , impono

The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Proud member of the OAM
(Order of the Armchair Modeller

Terrier

Postby Terrier » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:47 pm

very similar, i got mine of the bay of e to. i'll pop up a pic of how far i've got with my one, the brickwork moulding was a nice surprise, pretty good quality and great for detailing. right i shall go find the blighter and make best use of this rare sunshine. cheers chap

Essex2Visuvesi wrote:
Terrier wrote:When i first bought one (still building mine) i was delighted with the wooden staff lean-to on the back of the shed, it's a nice feature. the kit's are as old as the hills, but if you do a decent job, they look cracking, like your one.

I always thought it was the Privvy :oops:

:D :D just add a bucket and an old copy of the racing post ...et ouila! Un Toilette! :D

Terrier

Postby Terrier » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:06 pm

This is where i've got with my one, got the other bits and bobs in an old chinese take away tupperware thingy (cleaned lol) :)

fits a J94 like a glove.
IMG_1800.JPG
IMG_1800.JPG (255.94 KiB) Viewed 2643 times

I got a bit further with it than i remembered. one annoyance was i lost the second of the two roof eve spikes, but this can be replicated by cutting the end off of a cocktail stick.
IMG_1797.JPG
IMG_1797.JPG (192.2 KiB) Viewed 2643 times

cheers

Chris P

carnehan

Postby carnehan » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:06 pm

Great job mate. The brickwork looks amazing with a little wash on it.

Terrier

Postby Terrier » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:03 pm

thanks chap, yep, it'll get completed and tidied up at some future date. :)

Jellicoe

Postby Jellicoe » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:13 pm

I'm amazed the tooling is still able to produce an acceptable kit; I bought mine as an Airfix product fifty years ago!

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:16 pm

Jellicoe wrote:I'm amazed the tooling is still able to produce an acceptable kit; I bought mine as an Airfix product fifty years ago!

Dapol send the tools away for refurbishment every so often. I suspect it's one of those jobs that gets done when they've had a good month for sales. Waiting in the queue for a refurb probably explains the occasional disappearance for a few months of a particular kit.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Lysander

Postby Lysander » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:27 pm

That's a really nice job for a Dapol kit Carnehan - I'm surprised they make up so well. Paint job is good too. All I would do in addition is get a soft, wide brush and dust some powdered black pastel [the chalk type, not the oil one] over the walls to simulate soot and dirt.

Tony
Men with false teeth may yet speak the truth.......

carnehan

Postby carnehan » Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:01 pm

Thanks Tony. Would you put a spray matt lacquer on after to stop it from being rubbed off? It will be some time before this kit sees a position on a layout so will probably be handled a bit before that.

Lysander

Postby Lysander » Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:39 pm

I wouldn't bother really, it's shouldn't get much handling after it's been put in place - so maybe leave the weathering until you are ready to plant it.

Tony
Men with false teeth may yet speak the truth.......

clydhafanyard

Postby clydhafanyard » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:52 am

This is my version...might extent it out to the side with another kit

IMG_0321.JPG
IMG_0321.JPG (110.68 KiB) Viewed 2503 times

IMG_0322.JPG
IMG_0322.JPG (131.6 KiB) Viewed 2503 times

Oranoco

Postby Oranoco » Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:35 pm

Remember sitting with my dad round the dining table as we built up and painted one of these. The Dapol stuff just doesn't seem to have changed at all :)

Return to “Model Railway Photography”