Dapol Engine Shed

Post anything here to do with Model Railway Photography

Moderator: saslord

BenNewland

Re: Dapol Engine Shed

Post by BenNewland »

Hi All,
Got here through google and liked the shed enough to join the forum as I wanted to ask, for a total beginner what paints should I buy to complete this kit. I found one half built from when I was a child and would like to renovate it and paint it etc. Any clues for humbrol colours for example brick colour and roof slates etc? Any advice gratefully received.
Thanks
carnehan

Post by carnehan »

Hi BenNewland, welcome to the forum.

With reference to your question on paint colours, any number are available to you depending on what colour of brickwork you want. If you follow the link to my layout thread at the bottom of this message you will find a couple of scratch builds I've done in which I've included some colours and painting methods. These will transfer to any other kit build. There are a host of other great threads on here to help you in your painting also. :wink:

Paul
BenNewland

Post by BenNewland »

Hi Paul, Thanks for that. Your layout looks really good. Good use of a loft! Thanks for the link I will look through for painting tips.
I have no colours yet.
Ben
skyblue

Post by skyblue »

There is no 'set' colour for a building - it's not like a wagon or loco where there is a specific colour (and even then these varied). Look at some pictures online of other people's work and of the real thing and go to the website of a company that sells paints (e.g. Humbrol) and try and find a match for it. It's really up to you - if you want a particular brick colour, experiment and go for it. If it looks wrong, try adding some other shades to adjust to get the colour to what you want. There's no right/wrong answer for something like this.

The Humbrol website has a few that may be of interest:

For the brickwork:

Brick Red Matt

Red Brown Matt

For the roof:

Slate Grey Matt

Dark Slate Grey Matt

Use your imagination! If you want to have a slightly unusual brick colour- go for it! Bricks and slates vary so much in colour that no one is going to say it's wrong.
retiredoperator

Post by retiredoperator »

Hi Modellers I have also purchased a "dapol" engine shed, which reminded me of my previous "Airfix Kit", Doh :oops: , then I was told that Dapol had taken over the Airfix Kits. But, now that the four sides of my present shed have been assembled on a flat work surface, the end of the right side wall next to the shed does not line up with the roof. How can I fill the gap?? can anyone help??
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

Depends which side is correct. It will either be craft knife and straight edge, of plastic filler and a scriber. It's probably due to the poor grade of plastic they use for these kits. You'll get almost as many recommendations for filler as you get replies. Mine's Valejo, as I currently have a tube of it in my box.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
BenNewland

Post by BenNewland »

Hi Skyblue,
Thanks very much indeed. I will first order those that you suggested and mix and match from there. Thanks for the links. I really appreciate the help.
Will post it in here if I get it finished!
Cheers,
Ben