Sydney Suburban Electric Sets

Post anything here that is related to taking Railway Photographs!

Moderator: saslord

Wolseley

Sydney Suburban Electric Sets

Post by Wolseley »

First, one of the long gone wooden bodied Bradfield cars on the old Royal National Park line in the mid to late 1970s:

.... and a double deck set in the short lived blue and white colour scheme at Central station in the late 1970s:

SRman

Re: Sydney Suburban Electric Sets

Post by SRman »

Nice photos.

I remember the Sydney double-decker sets in mixed liveries: some unpainted silver, some in Indian red, some in blue and white with the strip at the bottom (as in your photo) and some with the stripe in the middle (between the decks). they were never able to make up their minds where that white stripe should go! A few of the older Tulloch double deck trailers were painted a silver grey to blend in (sort of!) with the silver sets.
Wolseley

Post by Wolseley »

SRman wrote:Nice photos.

I remember the Sydney double-decker sets in mixed liveries: some unpainted silver, some in Indian red, some in blue and white with the strip at the bottom (as in your photo) and some with the stripe in the middle (between the decks). they were never able to make up their minds where that white stripe should go! A few of the older Tulloch double deck trailers were painted a silver grey to blend in (sort of!) with the silver sets.
I think that the plan with the blue and white was that sets that consisted of mixed double and single deck cars were to have the white in the middle and those that consisted solely of double deck cars had the white at the bottom. The trouble was that cars got swapped around and you ended up with a rather messy looking mix.
Chops

Post by Chops »

Great story, never had heard or seen of this bit of railroad history.
Moral of the story: never trust a marsupial. :)
Nessie rocks!
Wolseley

Post by Wolseley »

Hornsby station in the early 1970s (sorry, but I can't be more specific - I didn't date many of my photos, although I think this one was probably taken in 1974). The leading car in the set is one of the rebuilt wooden "Bradfield" driving cars.
Hornsby - Bradfield Car.JPG
GeraldH

Post by GeraldH »

Thought I'd share one as a former employee of CityRail :) .
CityRail.JPG
Gerald H - BNR Correspondent :-)

My layout: http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... hp?t=28854