Weekend at War - Full Steam Ahead!

Post anything here that is related to taking Railway Photographs!

Moderator: saslord

William Medland

Weekend at War - Full Steam Ahead!

Postby William Medland » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:10 pm

At the weekend I took part in a WW2 Railway event in the Dutch town of Simpelveld.
It was the first ever event at this location and also our first mock battle for the steam railway.

Link to the battle..... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lN8bgW8Oksw

Cheers, Bill.
I do firmly believe in general, that to be credible railway modellers, we need to at least understand the working
principles of the real life railway, even if we are unable to put them into practice in a model form.

William Medland

Re: Weekend at War - Full Steam Ahead!

Postby William Medland » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:12 pm

As well as the mock battles, we had the use of 7 railway stations on a really long branchline.
The high point was Wehrmacht soldiers on flatcars carrying motorcycles etc to the West Wall fortifications!

It was really a Dutch version of Pickering, that is how I could best discribe it.

I do firmly believe in general, that to be credible railway modellers, we need to at least understand the working
principles of the real life railway, even if we are unable to put them into practice in a model form.

William Medland

Postby William Medland » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:16 pm

The BR 52 Kriegs Locomotive was built in Vienna in 1944. I was on the footplate and it taks from cold to running about 10 hours work!
We travelled to the Westwall (Siegfried Line) on two flat wagons pulled by this locomotive.

Cheers, Bill.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:27 pm

You look the part Bill. How long does it take people to realise you are an addopted German? I think the only way to get to know a country is to live and work there for a while .
John W
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Old Man Phil

Postby Old Man Phil » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:48 pm

Excellent, Wilhelm :D , but you could never get away with it over the border...unfortunately, they're still too sensitive about it.

William Medland

Postby William Medland » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:48 pm

Hi John,

I did not know that I was going to marry a German girl almost 30 years ago!

Anyway, working for the German Railways, was something I could not resist.
(getting paid for doing your hobby).

Cheers, Bill.

Notroh

Postby Notroh » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:51 pm

Bill,
Love the photos, especially the first one where your parrot has left your left shoulder after some bowel problems!!!

Really interesting to see some continental heritage railways as I model just that, albeit SNCF.

I also love your layout, we all started with old Hornby Dublo or Triang, it was Triang for me, what a great idea to get it all working again like we wanted it to be when we were 10!!!

Keep it up

Peter
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=50617#p620337
French N, too much fun!

William Medland

Postby William Medland » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:57 pm

Old Man Phil wrote:Excellent, Wilhelm :D , but you could never get away with it over the border...unfortunately, they're still too sensitive about it.

Hi Phil, we did cross the border (200 yards) to visit the area where the track cuts through the Siegfried Line, westwards from Aachen.

I think you are reffering to the German law on the wearing forbidden symbols (Law 86 and 86a). Wehrmacht uniforms can be worn in Germany
if one can meet the requirements, for example, film, photo, educational or museum work. Our visit was a museums project. Although the
authorities are more concerned that we meet the weapons laws requirements, but as "Reichsbahn Loco Driver" I do not carry one.

Cheers, Bill.

William Medland

Postby William Medland » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:02 pm

Thanks Peter, you can not keep the uniform clean on a loco footplate!

As for Triang/hornby vintage collection, I am collecting all the things I could not afford when I was ten, but wanted.

Cheers, Bill.

Return to “Railway Photographs”