Enlarging old photograpths

Post anything here that is related to taking Railway Photographs!

Moderator: saslord

CasperGriswoldBacon

Enlarging old photograpths

Postby CasperGriswoldBacon » Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:41 pm

Hi, I was wondering if there was anyway of enlarging old phorograpths (no negatives) to a reasonable standard either by computer software or otherwise. I have a very old photograpth album that was bought for me in the early 70's with loads of pre-war prints - sizes 6cm l x 4cm h they're not all in great condition, and some aren't brilliant photo's but there's some very rare images i believe. To give you an idea

LMS pre war Royal scots, coroantions, black 5's, jubilees,
GWR pre-war, Castle, Bulldogs, stars, saints
SR post war terriers, battle of britians
GWR castle streamlining
LNER pre-war A4'S A1/3'S
WW2 bomb damage to locos
BR loco's 10001 diesel, britianias
pre-war ffestingog loco's
pre-/post war german loco's with nazi insignia!

they're just going to get even more knackered so i was wondering if there was a way of preserving them or copying them to a decent size.

Lysander

Re: Enlarging old photograpths

Postby Lysander » Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:06 am

I guess you could either photograph them with a good digital camera, or scan them into your PC via a scanner, and then use one of the photo-software suites to edit them. I have tidied up lots of really old family photographs with Coral Paint Shop.

Tony
Men with false teeth may yet speak the truth.......

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:56 pm

A scanner and Corel Paint Shop, or Photoshop Elements(Full package for Millionaires only).
Scan at the highest resolution possible. The image editing tools will allow much of the damage to be tidied up by cloning surrounding colours or copying in larger areas. They will also help with the removal of telegraph poles from peoples heads, (not such a problem with colour photography).
John W
aka Bufferstop
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

CasperGriswoldBacon

Postby CasperGriswoldBacon » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:01 pm

thanks for the advice. Had a scanner for a long time but never used it apart from photcopying my driving licence occassionly :wink: And its worked a treat considering how small they are. low res version because of the massive file size of uploading the high-res one but it still looks pretty good to my eyes

Royal Scot Class No. 6104 "Scottish Borderer" as originally built, at Liverpool Lime Street 1929

Lysander

Postby Lysander » Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:36 pm

Magnificent - post a few more ?

Thanks

Tony

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:02 pm

That's not a bad image, there's certainly some nice detail at the front of the loco. If you've got some image editing software, make a copy of the file and try varying the contrast and brightness. Sometimes there's hidden detail in some of the murkier bits which you can retrieve. You could certainly take out some of the fine white specs on and around the loco. I'm guessing that the big white spots are lamps or holes in the roof.
John W
aka Bufferstop.

CasperGriswoldBacon

Postby CasperGriswoldBacon » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:55 am

Lysander wrote:Magnificent - post a few more ?

Thanks

Tony

Thanks for the kind comments. I'll stick up some more as i do them. The problem is the best technical photo's are not always the most interesting or have any infor

2980 Saint Class Coer de lion and Hall class 5957
Location: could be Paddington or Newport judging from where most of the other GWR ones were taken. Anyone know for sure?
Period December 35 - May 48

CasperGriswoldBacon

Postby CasperGriswoldBacon » Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:01 am

Bufferstop wrote:That's not a bad image, there's certainly some nice detail at the front of the loco. If you've got some image editing software, make a copy of the file and try varying the contrast and brightness. Sometimes there's hidden detail in some of the murkier bits which you can retrieve. You could certainly take out some of the fine white specs on and around the loco. I'm guessing that the big white spots are lamps or holes in the roof.
John W
aka Bufferstop.

yeah got some editing software with the scanner but with my half a day's experience i'm struggling to get to grips with it yet and what works for one photo doesn't for another apparently - you soon forget what image looks best to you as well. Also i've having to knock down 5meg pictures to less than 2 meg to upload them and then squash them to 800 pixels to fit on here. Well thats my excuse and i'm sticking to it:wink:

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:31 am

Not bad for half a day. A little tip, create a folder called UPLOAD to sit in the same place as the ready made DOWNLOAD one. Then when you have reduced the width to 800 save it in the UPLOAD folder without changing the name. It keeps the high and low res versions separate, and when you are uploading to your host site you are always looking to the same folder on your computer.
John W
aka Bufferstop

CasperGriswoldBacon

Postby CasperGriswoldBacon » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:06 pm

Bufferstop wrote:Not bad for half a day. A little tip, create a folder called UPLOAD to sit in the same place as the ready made DOWNLOAD one. Then when you have reduced the width to 800 save it in the UPLOAD folder without changing the name. It keeps the high and low res versions separate, and when you are uploading to your host site you are always looking to the same folder on your computer.
John W
aka Bufferstop

yep. trying to get organised. The editing is a pain as the most effective method is before the scan but you can't see the changes easy - hence the missing firebox handle on the saint in the above picture. :roll: If you do it after its easier to check the results but they're less noticeable

60039 Sandwich Leaving Grantham with 11:00 Kings Cross to Leeds express. Late 40's

Double headed express Koln - Frankfurt passing Rudesheim. Pilot Reiche class 38 No.2380
Train engin Rieche class 03 No. 095. August 1936

Lysander

Postby Lysander » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:09 pm

This is quite a remarkable archive that you have CGB. Thanks for continuing to post.

Tony

CasperGriswoldBacon

Postby CasperGriswoldBacon » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:23 pm

you're welcome. To be honest there's a lot i have no idea of the location, year or indeed subject so hopefully i can pick a few brains :wink:

CasperGriswoldBacon

Postby CasperGriswoldBacon » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:12 pm

The next two.

Not sure about this one. 2-4-2 and I'm guessing a LNWR Loco. Can make out a 6 under the grime but thats about it.

LNER Garrett No 69999. Unknown location but possibly while on the Lickey Incline in 49-50

K9-70

Postby K9-70 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:45 pm

CasperGriswoldBacon wrote:The next two.

Not sure about this one. 2-4-2 and I'm guessing a LNWR Loco. Can make out a 6 under the grime but thats about it.

Your image above is a LNWR 2-4-2T in LMS livery, see link below.
On the tankside you can make out the letters L.M and 6438? on the coal bunker
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:LNWR_5ft_6in_2-4-2_Tank.jpg
LNWR 5ft 6in 2-4-2T

The LMS didn't manufacture any 2-4-2T's
If you can scan the image at 7200dpi, and email it to me, I might be able to make out the engine number.

K9-70
The Rides the "REASON" the "DESTINATION" is only an "EXCUSE" :-).

CasperGriswoldBacon

Postby CasperGriswoldBacon » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:13 pm

thanks k9-70 but sticking it at that resolution would create a file about 700meg according to my scanner and it would be one hell of an e-mail 8) God knows how you managed to make out any more numbers because i can't, but if it is the LNWR 1P CLASS, i think it should be 66-- or 67--

Anyway, Castle's next

5040 Stokesay Castle

5030 Shirburn Castle

Return to “Railway Photographs”