BrotherWolf's Rly Pics Updated 12/12/2013 Oliver Cromwell

Post anything here that is related to taking Railway Photographs!

Moderator: saslord

Pedanticmongrel

Re: BrotherWolf's Rly Pics **updated 09/06/08 mostly FGW HST's**

Postby Pedanticmongrel » Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:41 pm

I see you have taken some photos on the Swansea to Carmarthen line, should have tried these locations, both just south of Ferryside.
I'm back and now I model in 'Strain your eyes gauge'...

Class 60

Re: BrotherWolf's Railway Pics **updated 02/06/08**

Postby Class 60 » Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:29 pm

BrotherWolf wrote:This weekend the Severn Tunnel was closed due to engineering works (thank you Network Rail).

Expect to see this happening every weekend, major works are being carried out on the Tunnel itself and new Signalling in place to allow for Bi-Directional travelling.

Nice pics though, usually you would catch a few freight workings via gloucester mainly being the 6B13 and 6B47 Westerleigh and Robeston workings which will guarantee a Tug :wink:

Pedanticmongrel wrote:I see you have taken some photos on the Swansea to Carmarthen line, should have tried these locations, both just south of Ferryside.

Mainly Passenger workings, usually the Milford Haven to Cardiff service which throws up a Class 175. Not a lot of freight anymore down that area, might be able to catch the Robeston to Westerleigh Working or the very few MOD workings.

Hope this Helps

Adam

BrotherWolf

Postby BrotherWolf » Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:36 pm

Thanks for the advice Pedanticmongrel. When I took the photo's near Ferryside I was out taking photographs for Geograph http://www.geograph.org.uk/. As a result they were more for location specific rather than aesthetic quality. Mind you, from what I saw, it looks a great place to spend a sunny day taking some pics. I notice that a few steam specials go through, so I may pop down when one is due.

Where abouts are the first couple of pics from with relation to ferryside station and how do you get there? Having had a quick look at the map here doesn't seeem to be a road nearby.
Click the banner for my Smugmug site

Pedanticmongrel

Postby Pedanticmongrel » Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:44 pm

BrotherWolf wrote:Thanks for the advice Pedanticmongrel. When I took the photo's near Ferryside I was out taking photographs for Geograph http://www.geograph.org.uk/. As a result they were more for location specific rather than aesthetic quality. Mind you, from what I saw, it looks a great place to spend a sunny day taking some pics. I notice that a few steam specials go through, so I may pop down when one is due.

Where abouts are the first couple of pics from with relation to ferryside station and how do you get there? Having had a quick look at the map here doesn't seeem to be a road nearby.

I haven't been there myself, those are my dads photos, but in relation to the station if you go towards Swansea the line curves through the 4th pic and then goes along behind the wall for almost a mile before coming onto the more flat open section to Kidwelly. I should imagine the way to get to those locations is along the beach.
I'm back and now I model in 'Strain your eyes gauge'...

BrotherWolf

Postby BrotherWolf » Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:45 pm

Class 60 wrote:Nice pics though, usually you would catch a few freight workings via gloucester mainly being the 6B13 and 6B47 Westerleigh and Robeston workings which will guarantee a Tug :wink:

Cheers Adam, I thought I'd been lucky when I looked at a website (one of the train times ones) and found the tunnel shut. If it's shut regularly then I'll make a point of heading to the Golden Valley nr Stroud and grabbing some more.

Tug? Sorry I'm more of a photographer than an actual railway enthusiast, esp todays stuff. I had to look up turbostar :?!! though I know what a shed is :wink: Having seen a couple of 60's sneak by when I went back to the car and also as I arrived at Chepstow station, I'm guessing a tug is a Class 60. I'll get there eventually.

PS How do you guys find out the route numbers?

Class 60

Postby Class 60 » Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:00 pm

BrotherWolf wrote:
If it's shut regularly then I'll make a point of heading to the Golden Valley nr Stroud and grabbing some more.

Tug? Sorry I'm more of a photographer than an actual railway enthusiast, esp todays stuff. I had to look up turbostar :?!! though I know what a shed is :wink: Having seen a couple of 60's sneak by when I went back to the car and also as I arrived at Chepstow station, I'm guessing a tug is a Class 60. I'll get there eventually.

PS How do you guys find out the route numbers?

The Tunnel is going to be shut at most weekends for a few months more, hopefully it's not going to take as long as the re-signalling phrase they done between Swansea and Bridgend.
Yes, you got it right - A Tug is a nickname given to the class 60 workhorse :)
If you seen a few 60's sneaking past at Chepstow station then its most likely going to be the working on Steel runs to Dee Marsh, Round Oak and Corby via Hereford.

You can find the route numbers (Headcodes) on Various Gen websites or the FreightMaster website, or if you lucky enough you will get them on the Daily working sheet posted through the pigeon holes at work :wink:

BrotherWolf

Postby BrotherWolf » Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:24 pm

Here are a few pictures taken recently, the first two are on the Dean Forest Railway. The bottom two are in Scotland.

West Coast Railways Cl 33 tails a special from Mallaig back to Fort William.

Lucky shot of 156 447. I was driving from the Western Isles to Gloucester and stopped for a bite. Checked the train times I had and lo and behold this one was due in 5 mins. The shoy is 10 mins south of Bridge of Orchy. I did stop at Beattock too but it was chucking it down.

BrotherWolf

Re: BrotherWolf's Rly Pics **updated 30/06/08 2 steam 2 diesel**

Postby BrotherWolf » Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:56 pm

Here are a few shots taken last month on the line from Hereford to Abergavenny. The photo comp for July was scenic and I was hoping to get something suitable but the main reason of the day was Deltic 55022 Royal Scots Grey on a run from Blackpool to Cardiff and seen here on the return at Pontrilas.

COMING SOON Some photo's taken on the Golden Valley line between Kemble and Stroud.

davek

Re: BrotherWolf's Rly Pics **updated 14/08/08 Deltic and 175's**

Postby davek » Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:57 pm

Some nice pictures BW. The Deltic has a nice sweeping arc to it, the approaching 175 with the greenery on the left makes a nice composition and shot with the side view of the train with the field in the foreground and the 'mountain' in the background is excellent.

BrotherWolf

Re: BrotherWolf's Rly Pics **updated 14/08/08 Deltic and 175's**

Postby BrotherWolf » Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:40 pm

Thanks for the compliments Dave. Here are a few more shots, this time taken on the Golden Valley between Stroud and Kemble.

This first pic used to be a great view of the viaduct at Frampton Mansell but a lot of trees seem to have grown since I was last there. So much so I spent 20 mins driving round trying to find the view before realising it was no longer there, pity.

glegalee

Re: BrotherWolf's Rly Pics **New Pics 30/08/08**

Postby glegalee » Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:21 pm

Great pics.
Visit my layout CHOLMONDELEY PARK
ImageImageImage

Postby 47806 » Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:32 am

I like the third-last shot (of the rails)!
Follow the Progress on my Layouts - click here.
My Railway Photography - click here.

BrotherWolf

Postby BrotherWolf » Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:37 am

47806 wrote:I like the third-last shot (of the rails)!

Thanks, to be honest when I was there I didn't really notice how the curves looked. I only took the shot as a record of the trackside view.

davek

Postby davek » Sun Aug 31, 2008 3:06 pm

I agree, the curves look great! Nice pics too - keep up the great work.

BrotherWolf

Postby BrotherWolf » Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:19 pm

A few pics from last friday/saturday. The first few are at Awre Crossing between Lydney and Gloucester with its disused signal box. The others are near Pandy on the Marches Line. The pic of the 59's on a railtour to Chester was disappointing. I thought I'd read they would be top and tailed which would have resulted in a much better pic. Alas the benefits of hindsight.

Return to “Railway Photographs”