BrotherWolf's Rly Pics Updated 12/12/2013 Oliver Cromwell

Post anything here that is related to taking Railway Photographs!

Moderator: saslord

Re: BrotherWolf's Rly Pics *New 09/04, 57, 66 and 170's*

Postby 47806 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:46 am

Interesting photos. How are you exposing your shots, are you balancing the sky and foreground or working in Photoshop later?
Follow the Progress on my Layouts - click here.
My Railway Photography - click here.

BrotherWolf

Postby BrotherWolf » Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:48 pm

47806 wrote:......How are you exposing your shots, are you balancing the sky and foreground or working in Photoshop later?

Most of the pics are just exposed according to the meter and then adjustments made in Photoshop later. I know some people argue that you're not keeping it authentic but I've never really gone with this arguement. It assumes that the camera captures exactly what is there, which it doesn't. For one thing a cameras dynamic range is nowhere near that of the naked eye. I'm not a great fan of removing stuff from pictures but can't see anything wrong with altering the exposure of a photo to get it to somewhere near how it looked on the day. I also tend to crop pictures a lot (well, when I say lot, about 25%), after all who is to say the 3:2 format is the perfect ratio for a picture.

So what do I actually do. Most of it is done in layers, drop the brightness by 20 to 40 (no idea what that means in PS) and then graduate it so that the top is darker and graduates down to normal exposure for the bottom 66% of the picture. I also tend to add a little brightness to the train if it's in shadow. Finally, adding a bit of contrast can also do wonders for a picture.

There are times when I see pics on here that I think could do with a bit of PS'ing to get a lot more out of them. The last one being PTmodeller's shot of 6233 which I believe he shot in very low light levels.
Click the banner for my Smugmug site

BrotherWolf

Postby BrotherWolf » Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:56 pm

davek wrote:Some great pics there! Keep up the great work - I particularly like the variety of locations you use.

Cheers mate, I'm lucky that although I'm 20 mins from the nearest mainline, the locations are great and I'm still finding places to take new pics. Most of the pics I take are on two 10 mile stretches, one on the Gloucester to Chepstow line and the other between Abergavenny and Hereford. We're not blessed with a huge amount of diversity but there's enough freight to make it worthwhile and when the Severn Tunnel is closed there's an hourly HST service on the Severn Line. Nicely timetabled so that one passes each way within about 10-15mins which enables you to grab a couple of shots and move to a new location :D

BrotherWolf

Postby BrotherWolf » Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:27 pm

Haven't taken any pics for a while but managed to get out over the last couple of days.........

davek

Re: BrotherWolf's Rly Pics *New 24/06, 66's, Units and 91xx*

Postby davek » Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:44 pm

Nice pics - the second shed pic with the darkened sky looks really nice with an interesting foreground.

Postby 47806 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:09 am

What are the 66s pulling? Looks like a mix of steel coil wagons and something else?
Follow the Progress on my Layouts - click here.
My Railway Photography - click here.

davek

Postby davek » Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:03 pm

47806 wrote:mix of steel coil wagons

Correct.

mortyfootball

Postby mortyfootball » Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:57 pm

Any ideas where the covered coil wagons were going?

Heard in the news there is a new coal flow down there which is using something very similar.

Shaun
Currently on the rails with my camera

Class 60

Postby Class 60 » Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:09 am

mortyfootball wrote:Any ideas where the covered coil wagons were going?

Heard in the news there is a new coal flow down there which is using something very similar.

Shaun

The Covered Coil wagons are a mixture of JSA's VTG and BYA's.
The flow's are usually Margam to Round Oak and Dee Marsh and return empties, with the odd flow going to Immingham as well.
There's also the Margam to Lackenby empties, Lackenby - Margam steel slabs which i believe are due to stop soon.

In Regards to a new Coal flow, i haven't heard anything as yet unless people are talking about the Gwaun-Cae-Gurwen flow which as been operating since January/February :roll:

Adam

davek

Postby davek » Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:37 pm

Stuart,
Where is that location please?
Dave

BrotherWolf

Postby BrotherWolf » Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:34 pm

davek wrote:Stuart,
Where is that location please?
Dave

Hi Dave, sorry for taking so long but my laptop decided to retire last week and so I've been without the internet for a week.

The top 3 pics were taken at Powells Crossing which is about 5 miles north of Abergavenny. To get a more accurate location then head to this page http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1287551 and if you click on the map it should open a new window which will allow you to zoom out. The crossing is where the footpath goes across the railway.

The Steam shot is on the Dean Forest Railway bewtween Whitecroft and Parkend.

The last three were taken from a bridge (or near to) on the Gloucester - Chepstow line about 5 miles north of Lydney station. This location is at http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/415761

Thanks To davek and class60 for answering the questions with regards to the wagon types. The thing that puzzles me is why do they have specific trains for covered and uncovered steel.

davek

Postby davek » Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:32 pm

Thanks for that Stuart.

Not 100% sure but the open/covered wagon thing could be that the open ones carry slabs of steel ready to be converted into products, whereas the covered carries steel in wire rolls.

mortyfootball

Postby mortyfootball » Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:23 am

Seen the steel coils in SPA open wagons at Rotherham, wonder if it is down to the type of steel being carried?

SHaun
Currently on the rails with my camera

davek

Postby davek » Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:12 pm

Had a chat and it is uniformily agreed that it depends what the steel products are being used for - steel for the construction industry is not so sensitive. Steel coil for the motor industry is very sensitive to moisture as the customer demands a high quality product - hence the need for covered wagons.

In essence, semi-finished steel, ie. slabs or HRC, need further processing which removes any rust as a matter of course, therefore they can travel in open wagons without consequence.
Finished steel, ie CRC, tinplate, galv etc generally tend to travel in covered wagons to prevent exposure to the elements and damage.

BrotherWolf

Postby BrotherWolf » Sat Aug 08, 2009 4:20 pm

A bit of a change from the usual fare....these shots were taken inside the Royal Mail depot at Stonebridge (Wembley). Also known as PRDC in Royal Mail. The shots are of some 325's which are used on a service from/to Warrington and I believe there maybe a run to Scotland too. The depot was built mainly as the London hub for getting mail in the London/South East area onto the rail network. However now that royal mail has all but abandoned using rail for transport it is now used as a hub for road based traffic. I've no idea why the DRS 66's are there, they seem to have been there for 3-4 weeks now.

Finally the quality isn't too great, it was dark and these were all shot at ISO 1600 and the shutter speed was still only 1/30th ish. There are a few more shots HERE.

The 66's are 403/404/405.

Return to “Railway Photographs”