New Street station

Post anything here that is related to taking Railway Photographs!

Moderator: saslord

mikemusson

New Street station

Postby mikemusson » Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:14 pm

If anyone is interested I have just updated New Street station (some 428 images) on my website which provides photographs of most of the 200 stations that once existed in the county.

See http://warwickshirerailways.com/lms/bhamnewstreet.htm

As previous visitors to the site will know, when I first started the task of recording the county's stations by using images taken between 1835 and 1968 my Photoshop skills left something to be desired. Although now I am far from being an expert I think they are a bit better and hopefully people now visiting the site will think so too.

I still have some way to go to revisit all of the remaining locations because I have subsequently acquired more photos to add to the original photos. I reckon I have still at least 18 months of work to complete the task of upgrading the remaining stations.

If any one would like to assist by writing better captions it would be a great help. The site could also really benefit by having potted histories on the stations as well as the history of the LMS and GCR in the county. Robert Ferris provided a history of the GWR and one or two stations which really helps to make the site more authoritative. The industrial scene which was once very significant in Warwickshire hasn't had much of a mention at all.

Please let me know what you think of the site (I would welcome guest book entries) and even if you have only a little time to spare to write one station history it would be very welcome.

Regards

Mike

BrotherWolf

Re: New Street station

Postby BrotherWolf » Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:18 pm

What a great set of photographs. There is a real sense of age about most of them. If I could make one constructive suggestion, I'd like the option of clicking a photo to get to the next one rather than having to go back a page. Though with the amount of pics it would probably take quite a bit of time to enter the hyperlinks......
Click the banner for my Smugmug site

david1943

Re: New Street station

Postby david1943 » Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:34 am

I have seen your website before and think its fantastic, I grew up in Birmingham and spent many hours train spotting on New Street Station, all this in the 1950s, your pictures bring back great memories of home, I have your site in my bookmarks so I can view it when I drift off into my thoughts of younger days, thank you

Return to “Railway Photographs”