inspirations, for model bridges

Post anything here that is related to taking Railway Photographs!

Moderator: saslord

SouthernBoy

Re: inspirations, for model bridges

Postby SouthernBoy » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:09 pm

Top job Zunnan! I like the 'brick repairs' in particular.
And thanks for the step-by-step guide which has some really useful tips. What did you use for the handrails btw? Plastic rod or wire?

I'm glad to hear you have a home for it when finished - maybe when the scenery etc is done you can update us with a few further pictures :)

Zunnan

Postby Zunnan » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:27 pm

I used styrene rod for the handrails, something that I really have to be careful around as they're extremely prone to damage. If I hadn't glued them in place before I found out just how delicate they were I'd replace them with brass wire, at the time of building haste was of the essence though. I'll certainly never do them using styrene again, and given how quickly I could build a new bridge deck using the jig I made I am sorely tempted to scrap this deck and make a stronger one with fully brass built handrail section. :wink:

Stewart Gethin

Postby Stewart Gethin » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:10 am

Wow. Some seriously amazing modelling there Zunnan.

What is this "chopper" by anychance? sounds like a neat piece of kit. ;)

Keep up the good work.

Stew.
Please take a look at both my layouts:
My layout: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28240
My 5" Gauge layout: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=29058

0121modeller
Location: Erdington, Birmingham,.... but can also be found at various railway bridges !

Postby 0121modeller » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:55 am

Here's "The Chopper"
They're really a great tool as for exact duplicate cutting of strip styrene, .
They can be purchased from E.M.A. Model supplies. Here's my Chopper , the metal base with inlayed cutting mat version, (NWSL's MDF version is cheaper, but more prone to wearing out over time), they're not cheap at £35 - £50 but really well worth the investment if you're cutting lots of duplicate components.

Yes, a dedicated & fine job you've done there so far Zunnan, I look forward to seeing the finished result :)

Dave.
Scratchbuilding 4mm scale JXA scrapwagons ; - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=37620
Scratchbuilt & kit built grappler claw cranes ; - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=36342

Zunnan

Postby Zunnan » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:28 pm

That'll be the one. Dave was kind enough to donate one of his older style 'choppers', and it has definately saved my sanity when I've needed to cut repetetive components for scratch build projects. Well worth investing in, when the one Dave gave me finally keels over I'll definately be replacing it.

SouthernBoy

Postby SouthernBoy » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:32 pm

I've had one of those on my shopping list for about a year now and took a look at a couple of models when I last visited the 4D Model Shop.
There always seems something more of a £££ priority though ...

tuxychuff

Postby tuxychuff » Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:31 pm

Here's a strange structure I saw when on holiday: Whitehaven tunnel (northern end)
Note the right-hand side of this picture does not show the true depth of the bridge, this is because I got two half decent pictures and spliced them (badly).
A stock double track bridge on the end of a single track tunnel where a road to the island platform (subway still intact underground(BR signs visible through vent under platform!)!) joins the running line.
google maps
streetview

SouthernBoy

Postby SouthernBoy » Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:34 pm

Ah yes, a bridgetunnel, which we're often told we can't have on model railways, but can :)

0121modeller
Location: Erdington, Birmingham,.... but can also be found at various railway bridges !

Postby 0121modeller » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:26 pm

There are a few around;
Something slightly different & interesting to model :) ; plate girders one side & brick arch the other.

Plate girders for tunnel portals can also be occasionally seen,
The canal here runs under a series of joined bridges carrying the rail lines out of New Street station, better described & known as Curzon Street tunnel (Proof house Junction, Birmingham)

Dave.

lozstlouis

Postby lozstlouis » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:53 pm

Hey Dave. Am interested in what adhesives you use when sticking Plastikard? Have read various reviews on MEK or Plasticweld etc. What's your thoughts/experience?

Cheers

Loz
OO in the loft. Lenz 90 making it go.

0121modeller

Postby 0121modeller » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:50 pm

Hi Loz,
See this thread for methods of fixing styrene to plywood etc- viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34185 .
Revell Contacta (the sort with fine needle dispensor) is the liquid poly solvent I prefer to use for most styrene/Slaters plasticard/Wills etc styrene fuseing them together in any combination, dont over apply with using slaters plastikard embossed sheet as it will distort the area caused by over melting area of joining.

For the finer details & assembly of tiny items of styrene (e.g; assembly of wheelbarrows kit from CooperCraft) , I use slaters MEK PAK applied with a very fine nylon brush.
Using other brands of plastic solvent (De-luxe Plastic magic & McGer) are equally as effective IMO.

If its ABS or Butyrate (hard plastic such as the "grey plastruct" range) then specifically use EMA plastic weld applied with a fine nylon brush.

EMA plastic weld will fuse together any combination of styrene & ABS.
EMA p.w will evaporate very quickly once applied to the join, just a small amount is needed, application to join must be applied without delay as it evaporates from brush in 3 seconds, don't leave cap off EMA bottle for longer than necessary as this solvent evaporates very fast, - a near full bottle of EMA p.w. evaporated overnight as I'd forgot to replace the screwtop cap :o .

Cheers,
Dave.

lozstlouis

Postby lozstlouis » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:51 pm

I have had (in the past) mixed results using various sticking products. So rather than trash my way though another £30 worth of Plastikard I thought I'd put the questions out there!! All advise greatly received & appreciated. Have purchased some more 'stock' so will have a crack this weekend. Am away from home at the moment so not with my kit.

One thing I have been meaning to try and look at more closely (not much to do with last statement) is the now disused Farringdon to Moorgate tunnel entrance. There is a bridge like structure across the top albeit a few metres up. From what I can see when I pass on a train the tunnel is currently being used to store plant during the platform extensions for the Thameslink 2000 project. Haven't had time to try and get any closer though... Also a very quick punt around the web hasn't turned up any more recent photos or pics taken by others...
OO in the loft. Lenz 90 making it go.

SouthernBoy

Postby SouthernBoy » Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:29 pm

Hello bridge-lovers ...

Can you help with a question?

Earlier this year I took photos of the railway bridge in Balham:

I thought I'd reproduce it on my layout, but on looking at historical photographs (the first two photographs in this link) it looks quite different.

It seems the pillars which run under the bridge are the same, but the supporting abutments at each end are of brick in the earlier pictures, but of stone in my photographs. Also, the 'faces' of the bridge itself look quite different. The older picture shows vertically flush panels, whilst my photos show a clear 'stepped' arrangement with protruding brackets.

Could the original bridge have been rebuilt, but retaining the original pillars along the pavement ?
Or is it likely that the bridge is the same, but the panels were 'cosmetic' and hid the 'stepped' arrangement we see today?

Thanks,

Mark

0121modeller

Postby 0121modeller » Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:56 pm

It looks like the loadbearing girders & paraphet have been replaced, ,
I searched google images of Ballham railway station & came up with this http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=balham ... 3DQ&zoom=1
So maybe the bridge was re-built after the damage ? The supporting pillars on the pavement look to have been retained as an original feature (but they may have also been replaced - hard to judge from photo)

I very much look forward to seeing your model of this Mark :D

Dave.

SouthernBoy

Postby SouthernBoy » Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:10 pm

Hmmm, good thinking Dave, but I'm not so sure. The bridge is a good couple of hundred yards away, and the buildings immediately around the crater are relatively undamaged (just doors and windows blown in, but little structural damage).

Return to “Railway Photographs”