inspirations, for model bridges

Post anything here that is related to taking Railway Photographs!

Moderator: saslord

0121modeller
Location: Erdington, Birmingham,.... but can also be found at various railway bridges !

Re: inspirations, for model bridges

Postby 0121modeller » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:58 am

Cheers Mark & Zunnan :) , I'm always happy to keep on posting updates as to hopefully inspire others with idea's regardless, & yep, :lol: those photo's of myself with tape measure & float on canal, :lol: I purposely asked Zunnan to take those 2 photo's of me with tape & float, as appeals to my own sense of humour with regards my obssessive nature. I do often question my own sanity :lol:

Myself & Zunnan took those photo's at Bournville station, the canal runs basically parallel with southside cross city line for 7 miles from city centre. http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source ... 61bU1Z1-gA
We took the photo's as for modelling referance for an N gauge project were doing at a model railway club that were members of.

Of course, even though I dont model N gauge, I'm still keen if it involves a bridge building challenge :D , Here's some photos;
Above photo is the ornate cast iron arch bridge, & 3 photo's below show this in its infancy / my proposed construction method, as said, this bridge is N gauge.

I estimated that the total span of the metal arch would be approximately 30ft including allowance for both sides to rest upon no less than 15" on each bedstone.
The raised decorative square diamonds were from these 0.5mm thick items from the Evergreen strip range. The one side put into place but having less amount of square diamonds than the real bridge seen in photo, but IMO its not really that noticable & the intent is still there for a fairly good representation, its a fiddly task, with getting tiny squares to be as symetric as possible both sides of arch.
Notice the box profile metal trunking that most most likely carries utillity cables or pipes of some sort. there's one fixed to either side of bridge spans.
Height clearance, Usually from rail head to underside girders or brick arch will be typically between 14ft 9" - 15ft 9" .
I took the above 2 photo's as to give an idea of height clearance, I would estimate there's at least 2ft 6" clearnce from that class 323 EMU to the underside arch profile.
An overall side-view from the one side.
Notice the downward layer angle of the brick courses on that retaining buttress.
The damaged & missing bricks can easily be replicated with using Wills Bricksheet if modelling this in 4mm scale , or if modelling N gauge brick damage then slaters plastikard brick would also be suitable for overlaying (replicating underlayer from missing/damaged brickwork)

Dave.
Scratchbuilding 4mm scale JXA scrapwagons ; - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=37620
Scratchbuilt & kit built grappler claw cranes ; - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=36342

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:25 am

There might be 2'6" between the top of the stock and the metalwork, but that's a damn small separation for 25KV. In preparation for the 60's WCML electrification a hell of a lot of money was spent moving services and raising bridges that already had more clearance than that one.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

markh

Postby markh » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:08 pm

i would like to know where do you put all of these bridges

i found a better image of the bridge on the web but i shall get a better image on tomorrow if i can also i forgot to say this that the bridge is of two parts the first is a trestle section the other is a swing brigde
Dock_Bridge%2C_Workington.jpg
Dock_Bridge%2C_Workington.jpg (102.68 KiB) Viewed 3536 times
THIS IS A BAD IDEA,

BUT IM ALL ABOUT BAD IDEAS

SouthernBoy

Postby SouthernBoy » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:58 pm

Hello Dave,

don't know whether you've seen this thread on RMW 'Manchester Central & Castlefield Viaducts - Modelling Structures' - but thought you may like it :)

The same chap has some other threads going with similar material if you're interested ... over to you matey :)

0121modeller
Location: Erdington, Birmingham,.... but can also be found at various railway bridges !

Postby 0121modeller » Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:05 am

Hi Mark, Yes indeed , Thankyou for bringing that to my attention, :D , That guys good, it seems I'll have to roll up my sleeves more often :D I rather liked his girder bridge with castlement turrets, & I had a good read thru all pages of that thread & noticed he made his own styrene chopping guilletine.

Thanks again, I've just this minuit registered myself as a member on there, as it seems I cannot view other threads as a "guest" (unless its link as provided) . There's other interesting threads that appeal to my interests too, however my main loyalties & postings will remain on this forum, as I've a few unfinished projects & ongoing threads as well as this one :) .

Cheers,
Dave.

SouthernBoy

Postby SouthernBoy » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:45 pm

Andy Fothergill (Grotland) was up for the weekend and we went out and about round London.

One of the things we did was wander down to Balham and I took some pictures of the bridge there because I plan to use it as as the basis for one of the bridges on my layout Frankland. So I thought I'd post the pictures here as some may be interested.

When I come to model it the bridge will look a little different because in the period I'm looking at it was covered in adverts (I have archive pictures but for copyright reasons won't post here). But all the same it's good to understand the underlying structure, and in particular I was curious about how the bridge 'sits' in relation to the railway viaduct and the buildings that abut it.

So here are the pictures :)

0121modeller

Postby 0121modeller » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:54 am

Hi Mark,
SouthernBoy wrote: and in particular I was curious about how the bridge 'sits' in relation to the railway viaduct and the buildings that abut it.

Thanks for posting :D , that bridge looks rather impressive, unual too, as having 2 sets of supports positioned as they are.
Yes, (above quoted) ,thats one of many possible aspects which often requires a close-up detail view & photo's, especially if the railway bridge is in a very built up area, the subject of wing walls or other adequet abutment support is always worth checking to be sure something is modelled as it would be as real.

Here's a couple of photo's of the latest work that sort of relates to this, not buildings but other adjoining walls,
the rear-most wall is stone block made from a soft foam. In case it was ever decided to re-model or replace this foam, it'll be just butted up to brick arch & tacked to backing support, the butt joining stone to brick made more inconspicuous with the inclusion of that brick buttress.
An overall veiw of how it all fits into place, the partial remains of a disused platform (this & surrounding area needs to be finished), but this feature will just be lightly tacked with only small spots of PVA & held in place with small screws underside.
seen here in its assembled mode...
I thought long & hard about the inclusion of wing wall here, all depends on the surroundings , but a wing wall I thought was best suited rather than other options, as its near baseboard edge & well suited for photograpic shots beyond showing rest of modelled area.

Once decided, then checking the typical leanback & angle used, here it seen posed just rested up to the position it'll permanantly be, as at the moment this & some of the other brickwork will have a light dry brushing of moss applied & brown paint & static grass applies were needed, & I find that this is more easily applied in a dis-asssembled mode rather than having to deal with inner corners & having the dilute PVA & grass, drybrushed moss etc go where it should'nt.

Its great to hear yourself & Andy are now avid railbridge worshippers like myself. :D :lol: ,
I've been on a couple of daytrips to London, but not for a year or so, but I intend to go again soon as I very much enjoy "a day on the tubes" & a re-visit to Hampstead tube station with the intention of going up to road level via the staircase rather than take the lift :shock: :lol:
I very much look forward to your forthcoming bridge building on Frankland :D

Dave.

SouthernBoy

Postby SouthernBoy » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:25 pm

Nice work there.

I would really recommend the following trips.
Charring Cross > London Bridge > Greenwich
Victoria > London bridge.
Clapham Junction > Waterloo.

These each take you through spaghetti junctions of viaducts and bridges which dive-under and cross over each other and interconnect in weird and wonderful tangled configurations.

I've studied the track plans a hundred times but sitting on the trains as they trundle through these labyrinthine high-level junctions still completely confuses me as to which line is shooting-off where.

You'd love the complexity of the structures/bridges/viaducts at multiple angles and heights intersecting in quite complex ways. All squashed tightly in between dilapidated Dickensian houses and 30s tenement blocks.

raistlin295

Postby raistlin295 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:03 pm

Your latest photos look really great Dave :)
Paul

Finsbury Road My Layout

0121modeller

Postby 0121modeller » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:35 am

Yes Mark, I vaugely remember thinking the terms laberyrinth, interconnecting etc during all of my visits, truely awesome civil engineering how its all so well compacted considering also the many underground tube route's that often pop up from the deep & run alongside conventional trains of an area :D .
Just a brief glance at your above listed area's in my london A-Z beckons me to research more about them on google maps & other books i have & ultimately pay another visit with my camara.

Up here in & around Birmingham/W.Mid's, I dont think we have anything quite as complex & well engineered as that, apart from the vast network of canals we have, which is another subject that very much appeals to me exploring them & modelling them (if only I had the space to include more features like canal scenes etc)

raistlin295 wrote:Your latest photos look really great Dave :)

Thanks Paul,
Yes, its all coming along quite nicely :) , I cant help but get ever-more involved & absorbed into the finer realism details of this project with each stage I progress :lol: , so its been a real pleasure to do this, as its got me modelling again after 2 year long break bogged down with house decors & with my own project in limbo state of undecided future.

I've also learnt some new idea's & methods (& mistakes :oops: ..,corrected) of modelling from this bridge building project too, so ideal as to adding some inspirational "shows you how" content to this thread that'll hopefully inspire others :D .

Dave.
Last edited by 0121modeller on Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

kandc_au

Postby kandc_au » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:09 am

Having just gone through this thread, to me it is the type of thread that needs to be pinned so that it can be found readily.
The images that have been posted of the real thing is a goldmine in itself....especially to those who don't necessarily have access to this type of info (overseas etc)

Excellent thread and points to the originator.

Khris

0121modeller

Postby 0121modeller » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:39 am

kandc_au wrote:
Having just gone through this thread, to me it is the type of thread that needs to be pinned so that it can be found readily.
The images that have been posted of the real thing is a goldmine in itself....especially to those who don't necessarily have access to this type of info (overseas etc)

Excellent thread and points to the originator.

Khris

Hi Khris,
Thanks for your kind comments, & I'm pleased to know this thread serves its pupose as a possible source of inspiration & referance to yourself & others :D .

As for possibly making this a pinned/Sticky , thread/topic..., yes possibly so, maybe one of the moderarators could pick up on this if they thought it appropriate.

thanks,
Dave.

0121modeller

Postby 0121modeller » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:05 am

Underside of arch
Basically, I decided to make the roof of arch from 4mm scale plastikard red brick.
Using a styrene 3.2mm x 3.2mm profile, slitting this with razor saw as for easier bending the curve as to match inner arch , 1mm was left underside as for mounting the plastikard arch that would be cut to size for an exact fit.
Those inner walls will need re-enforcing , as the "springback" curve of roof arch will push them out wider , so as you can see I've braced those walls to maintain the width.
Allow the styrene brace to set fully. Also when fitting brace, make sure both sidewalls are leveled on a flat surface.
The brace can be removed easily when roof arch is fitted on & it has fully set.

Notice by the grid squares on cutting mat that the inner walls are slightly skewed, the skew angle of walls matches the meeting arch inner walls (the arch bridge are 2 modular items, each arch & its inner walls & roof meeting neer exact, the 1 half is seen above)

As for the skew, this can be tricky to get the correct angle & for both sides to fit 1st attempt,
Using the rear of arch as basis I layed a suitably just oversize piece of plastikard brick over & marked with a felt tipped pen the angle skew of wall, I then trimmed angle to match on 1 side, putting "X" to "X" markings so I would know which way around the arch fitted to that side.....things such as this can get a little confusing, so always mark up positions & orientation for fitment as you progress stage by stage.
I then rolled the plastikard as to form curve, I started with something gentle as to start curve off, as kinks, creases & bends need to be avoided whilst forming arch curve , after wrapping around spice jar I then used a 20mm thick wooden dowell to increase curve, rolled up, put on marigolds or (other rubber gloves) immerse in hot water (not boiling water) for a minuit , then immerse in cold water OR wrap around broomstick handle & secure with 2 elastic bands for a few hours....
Last edited by 0121modeller on Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

0121modeller

Postby 0121modeller » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:44 am

Next, (Continued from above post)
I offered the plastikard brick arch roof lining into position ready for welding into place using Revell Contacta & M.E.K. liquid.
Using my Revell Contacta I welded in 1mm round styrene rods to both sides as to cover the edge of arch & seal it to the 4mm x 1mm strips used as wall limit retainers for arch lining as described in previous post.
The arch lining profile cut to exact size on 2nd attempt , the 1st attempt was 2mm short of meeting other wall, so I re-made using the 2mm short arch lining as a template & adding the 2mm needed..., I'm really so fussy about getting things to look as perfect as possible, even if a fault is'nt that obvious or fully visible :lol: !
Here I am welding the plasticard roof arch into place applying M.E.K.

A clearer photo of the curved 3.2mm x 3.2mm styrene strip that supports the plastikard arch lining profile.
Arch retaining onto side walls method on the other arch module was a little different, but just as effective.
Underside inside view of both brick arches sprayed up with Railmatch 1403..,
Inside roof & both walls spayed up using Railmatch enamel 1403 roof dirt , its a darkish grey that gives fair representation of dark grey enginners blue brick , the outer brickwork having a washover & wipe off using Revell acylic 75 stone grey matt, this gives grey mortar colour & tints the bricks to a lighter grey shade, so I re-applied Railmatch 1403 carefully drybrushing over most area's.

A matt green acrylic was then drybrushed onto some area's to create the effect of moss growth & staining, but this moss application can hardly be seen in photo's here..., but I suppose it's sometimes not that obviously noticable on real brickwork, but often more-so on lighter grey stone or concrete, for lintels, bedstones etc, so I may decide to have another go at "mossing up" some area's using wethering powders instead as to possibly enhance more.

Dave.

markh

Postby markh » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:57 pm

have ever made bridges for order as i have planned a n gauge layout & have a of set triangle shaped bridge on it
THIS IS A BAD IDEA,

BUT IM ALL ABOUT BAD IDEAS

Return to “Railway Photographs”