A few pictures from the South

Post anything here that is related to taking Railway Photographs!

Moderator: saslord

guitardave_1

Re: A few pictures from the South

Postby guitardave_1 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:49 pm

A couple more from this week, and as promised they are all from different viewpoints :lol: That said, they are all basically the same place, and are all reached from the bridge where I park. That's what makes this location so good. It's quiet, parking is easy, and I have access to 2 different bridges and 2 different lineside views. All together, I calculated that I have taken pictures from 9 different angles just at this group of viewpoints :D

First up, another 59, this time 59002. The bridge behind is the one where the majority of my photos have been taken from. On this occasion I took a single step to stand on. This was high enough to clear the fence, but not the plants. Another time, I will try a set of small steps for a bit more height.

31285, which is seen from the next bridge along from where I park. This is a far better option for Eastbound trains, but I did need steps again to get the clearest view.

And the other end of the same test train, with DBSO 9701. This is from the same lineside point that I've used before, but I stayed this side of the annoying speed restriction sign and stretched over the fence to get the shot.

davek

Postby davek » Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:27 pm

Very nice shots Dave - interesting spot you have there with such different and plentiful options for views!

BrotherWolf

Postby BrotherWolf » Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:41 pm

guitardave_1 wrote:On this occasion I took a single step to stand on. This was high enough to clear the fence, but not the plants. Another time, I will try a set of small steps for a bit more height.

I think the grass looks great, leave the bigger step at home. Great pics, the first one especially.
Click the banner for my Smugmug site

Postby 47806 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:45 pm

Good photos of the test train. Take the bigger steps to keep clear of the grass and then decide which photos look better to you. I am glad that you have found a varied location for photos. I prefer to stick to one or two locations for most of my photos so that I learn the light at different times of the day and where would be the best location for the time of day etc. Ely would be my favourite location because I can reach many good spots within a half-hour walk. Back in Canada I had a few spots that I would usually use all the time.
Follow the Progress on my Layouts - click here.
My Railway Photography - click here.

guitardave_1

Postby guitardave_1 » Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:43 am

Thanks all! The 31 and DBSO is yet another first for me.

I cleared enough of the plants on that 59 shot to get away with it on this occasion, but they may become bigger and fuller in the summer, in which case I would definitely want to use something taller.

Thomas - I really have little incentive to stray from this particular spot. As I mentioned, it's always quiet with space to park, it's a few minutes drive from home (which is good if I want to keep an eye on the gen, or if something just doesn't show up!) and I now know so many options for different angles. As you say, it also allows you to learn where the sun will be depending on the time, and also which angles will only work if it's overcast.

guitardave_1

Postby guitardave_1 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:34 am

A couple from the Victoria-Swanage railtours - the first passenger trains from London to Swanage in 37 years. I didn't realise this would be so popular. Met a couple of other photters at my spot, and it even made the local news. TV footage showed hundreds of people out to see it.

At the beginning of the year, I never expected to get both of the red locos so easily within a few months. The tour ran twice on consecutive days, so two different photo opportunities.

PTmodeller

Postby PTmodeller » Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:51 pm

Personal preferance mate, but I'd have given it a little more chance to cross the frame in shot. Still a great pair of shots mind :P

Dave

davek

Postby davek » Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:54 pm

I agree with Dave - a little more forwards perhaps...but that's just being picky! Nice shots though, I'm envious as I missed all the fuss as I was in Scotland.

guitardave_1

Postby guitardave_1 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:27 pm

Thanks fellas. Constructive criticism very much appreciated, but I'm not quite sure I understand your point. Is the comment in relation to one photo or both? Do you mean you would have taken the pic a little later so that the loco was closer? Sorry if I'm being a bit dense here :lol:

Incidentally, if I have interpreted your comment correctly, I did take another shot after the one shown, but it wasn't quite sharp enough for my liking. Arguably composition should receive priority over sharpness, but I hate posting pics which I know aren't quite up to scratch, so I tend to discard anything that's slightly out of focus or blurred.

PTmodeller

Postby PTmodeller » Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:57 pm

guitardave_1 wrote:Thanks fellas. Constructive criticism very much appreciated, but I'm not quite sure I understand your point. Is the comment in relation to one photo or both? Do you mean you would have taken the pic a little later so that the loco was closer? Sorry if I'm being a bit dense here :lol:

Incidentally, if I have interpreted your comment correctly, I did take another shot after the one shown, but it wasn't quite sharp enough for my liking. Arguably composition should receive priority over sharpness, but I hate posting pics which I know aren't quite up to scratch, so I tend to discard anything that's slightly out of focus or blurred.

Hi,
Basically I was trying to say just get it a bit off centre, makes the composistion that little more interesting. I say that, and it sounds easy, but it isn't always...

davek

Postby davek » Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:14 pm

Dave (G)
Top one works fairly well, the track draws the eye to the loco and the length of the train.
The second pic is the one I feel could do with letting the loco a little further into the scene as Dave (PT) says, easier said then done - just let the camera rattle off a few more pics as the loco rolls past - it's digital so it doesn't matter if you waste a few shots!
In Glasgow the other day I took about 20 shots of the 31 on the NR test train just so I could get one that felt was right - sometimes waiting for the precise moment can see you miss that very moment.
Dave (K)

Too many Daves!

Postby 47806 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:13 am

Good shots! The DBS livery looks good, especially without the OHL that covered it when I saw it at Peterborough. Perhaps waiting a little longer would have helped the composition, but better safe than sorry.
Follow the Progress on my Layouts - click here.
My Railway Photography - click here.

guitardave_1

Postby guitardave_1 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:59 am

Thanks Thomas. I like the DBS livery, but then I was never a fan of the EWS colours, so this was an improvement by default for me!

The 2 Daves - thanks for the further comments. I will certainly bear them in mind next time I'm at that spot. It's a new angle, so I will keep experimenting to get the best from it. I probably need to try choosing a different focus point on the camera, to set the loco off centre. It's not an excuse, but one of the few things that I would change on my camera would be a better spread of autofocus points.

BrotherWolf

Postby BrotherWolf » Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:51 pm

Thanks for posting these pics. I saw this train waiting entry into the depot at Wembley and wondered where it had been. It's the first time I've seen the new livery in the flesh.

Personally I'm happy with the second shot as it is, a bit longer and I think you lose on the scenic aspect. I am aware that 95% of photographers tend to be very locomotive orientated. You could always just crop the picture to put the loco to the left and see which you prefer.
Click the banner for my Smugmug site

guitardave_1

Postby guitardave_1 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:14 pm

BrotherWolf wrote:Thanks for posting these pics. I saw this train waiting entry into the depot at Wembley and wondered where it had been. It's the first time I've seen the new livery in the flesh.

Personally I'm happy with the second shot as it is, a bit longer and I think you lose on the scenic aspect. I am aware that 95% of photographers tend to be very locomotive orientated. You could always just crop the picture to put the loco to the left and see which you prefer.

I did try a crop on the photo in question (although I haven't altered the original in my post). Judging by your comments Stuart, it obviously comes down to personal taste to a certain degree. I did like the cropped version however. That angle is still relatively new to me, so I'll keep experimenting when I can!

Return to “Railway Photographs”