A few pictures from the South

Post anything here that is related to taking Railway Photographs!

Moderator: saslord

guitardave_1

Re: A few pictures from the South

Postby guitardave_1 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:16 pm

47806 wrote:Nice shots, I find the twigs in the first one a bit distracting but the curve in the line adds interest to the composition. The sun is always my biggest annoyance, most lines in East Anglia run North-South meaning shooting into the sun very often.

Thanks Thomas. You're quite right about the twigs - it's exactly the sort of thing I wanted to discover whilst just shooting units that I can see every day. Another time I would have to look more carefully at how to avoid them.

The lines at this spot are East-West, although being a junction they're all a bit different. The problem is you can only really shoot from the North side of most of them, which means that in most cases the sun is falling on the hidden side of the train.

guitardave_1

Postby guitardave_1 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:07 pm

An unexpectedly bright day, and both regular freights running, so a couple of very quick visits to my favourite spot.

66095 on the Fawley-Holybourne tanks. Been ages since I actually managed to catch this working. This isn't the best viewpoint for eastbound trains, but after last night's weather I didn't fancy slithering my way to either of the alternatives!

59004 returning from Chichester with the empty stone wagons

Postby 47806 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:07 am

Good location and good light!
Follow the Progress on my Layouts - click here.
My Railway Photography - click here.

davek

Postby davek » Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:35 pm

Nice to see the Holybourne! I do like your Bedhampton location as it gives such a good side view.

guitardave_1

Postby guitardave_1 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:07 am

47806 wrote:Good location and good light!

Thanks Thomas. It was the first day for ages when I haven't had to raise the ISO a little to get a safe shutter speed! Looks like more of the same today too - I'm hoping to see a 67 on a VSOE working.

davek wrote:Nice to see the Holybourne! I do like your Bedhampton location as it gives such a good side view.

It's a really good view for westbound trains. You can get a good angle from both sides if it's overcast, and if it's sunny it falls nicely on one side, as with the 59 pic. I can drive there in about 3 minutes, it's always quiet, it's easy to park, and having got to the bridge you can walk to two alternative viewpoints in no more than a few minutes. If there was more varied traffic I imagine it would be pretty popular.

The only downside is that because it's so convenient, I don't tend to go anywhere else very much, so the angles and compositions are rather repetitive!

Terrier

Postby Terrier » Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:31 pm

Hey dave, as repetition goes, it's stirling camera work mate! Keep it up!

Was pleased to see shots of the local freight workings especially the banana train from Fratton Yard to Eastliegh, top stuff! :)

guitardave_1

Postby guitardave_1 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:18 pm

Terrier wrote:Hey dave, as repetition goes, it's stirling camera work mate! Keep it up!

Was pleased to see shots of the local freight workings especially the banana train from Fratton Yard to Eastliegh, top stuff! :)

Thanks Chris. I was told that the Fratton working will eventually have a more substantial and possibly mixed load, but I don't know how much truth there is in that.

guitardave_1

Postby guitardave_1 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:23 pm

One more for the week. 67025 'Western Star' hauls the VSOE Murder Mystery tour en route back to London. My first 67 pic, although I would have liked to see one of the alternative liveries. Having now seen a 67 in the flesh, I'm still not a big fan!

BrotherWolf

Postby BrotherWolf » Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:37 pm

guitardave_1 wrote:One more for the week. 67025 'Western Star' hauls the VSOE Murder Mystery tour en route back to London. My first 67 pic, although I would have liked to see one of the alternative liveries. Having now seen a 67 in the flesh, I'm still not a big fan!

I've seen a few now, though yet to get a pic. The closest I got was when a special passed just as I arrived, though my target for the day was a steam special one hour later. The only redeeming feature of a 67 is, it makes a change :( Decent pic though.

I envy you your 3 minute drive to the lineside. It's 20-25mins for me to my nearest mainline. Ironically my closest is a preserved railway, The Dean Forest at only 15mins.
Click the banner for my Smugmug site

davek

Postby davek » Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:07 pm

I've seen far too many skips!
Not the most elegant of motive power but their top speed make then idea for tacking onto railtours - and the fact DBS haven't got anything else worth using.

Nice shot mate, it may be repetitive but it is a good location :)

guitardave_1

Postby guitardave_1 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:14 pm

Thanks again guys.

And now for something completely different... :lol:

Network Rail New Measurement Train. This really was a rare spot in this area. Way back in October I'd hoped to catch it, only for the working to be cancelled. No such disappointment this time! Coming straight out of the sun, and only travelling at a crawl, but I can't complain. I'm glad to have seen it at all!

davek

Postby davek » Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:39 pm

Despite come out of the sun, the exposure is good.
Glad you managed to see it, the timings were a little random throughout the day, I managed to get it at Eastleigh in the morning, as well as the Wool and the 3 duffs and ECS move from Crewe in the afternoon.

guitardave_1

Postby guitardave_1 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:49 pm

Thanks Dave. Still some blown highlights along the roof, but it's always a slight compromise in that sort of situation.

Just another 59 for the scrapbook. I figured that as they're almost all I seem to see at the moment, I may as well capture as many of them as possible!! I have been seeking out some alternative spots, but many that I find are no good for sunny days. When the weather permits, I will try for some more variety!

Postby 47806 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:00 am

Well spotted! I like how even with the sun, the shot really is atmospheric. I have yet to see the NMT, it does not run on the East Anglian lines and heading over to the ECML is not often possible for me. One day I will see it.
Follow the Progress on my Layouts - click here.
My Railway Photography - click here.

guitardave_1

Postby guitardave_1 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:06 am

47806 wrote:Well spotted! I like how even with the sun, the shot really is atmospheric. I have yet to see the NMT, it does not run on the East Anglian lines and heading over to the ECML is not often possible for me. One day I will see it.

Thanks Thomas. I wasn't expecting to see it. Patchy info appeared on the gen the evening before, there were a few timings - rather random as Dave said - but luckily it worked out. 10 minutes earlier and I wouldn't have been around to see it.

The late afternoon sun was actually quite nice, as seen in the tail end pic. It's just that I would have preferred it to come from a different direction!

Return to “Railway Photographs”