A few pictures from the South

Post anything here that is related to taking Railway Photographs!

Moderator: saslord

guitardave_1

A few pictures from the South

Postby guitardave_1 » Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:00 pm

Spent a couple of hours at a good spotting point not far from me. A quiet bridge with a path leading down to a second good vantage point right next to the line. This part of the line has passenger services from Portsmouth and Southampton towards London and other destinations. The bulk of the traffic is units run by Southern and South West Trains. Via the regional gen site I also knew of a few scheduled freights for today.

SWT class 444s

SWT class 450s

Southern class 377s

Now the more unusual stuff:

Class 158 - someone will have to confirm the operator on this one, I'm still pretty ignorant! I believe a few run through each day.

66137, running light engine sadly. I believe it returned later in the day with a rake of tanks but I wasn't around to see it.

And finally 59103 with stone wagons from Chichester

Last edited by guitardave_1 on Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.

headshot119

Re: A few pictures from the South

Postby headshot119 » Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:01 pm

Some excellent pictures there, I really liked the one of the class 59 in Yeoman livery. Are you going to enter this months photo competition, the theme is passenger stock and your photo of the class 450 and 444 passing looks fantastic. Keep up the good work. :D :D :D

PTmodeller

Postby PTmodeller » Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:07 pm

Good shots there mate, what's your camera?

live-frog

Postby live-frog » Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:04 pm

good selection of photos Dave . As Headshot says , there are a couple of very good possible entries for the June photo comp !!
Ron

Terrier

Postby Terrier » Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:55 pm

Top images mate! ...i spent today right down south and managed to get a few shots outside Portsmouth Harbour Station ...these units are all very familiar to me and you've captured them really well! Good stuff!! :D

MTA

Postby MTA » Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:28 pm

Some good shots there :D

If I am correct, the 158 unit is the First Great Western Brighton - Worcester Shrub Hill service. The units have recently been refurbished, so they are much cleaner and there are more seats :)

I'd much rather travel on them than the Southern 377's to be honest :shock:

davek

Postby davek » Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:34 pm

Cracking shots mate - what location was that?
The 66 was heading for Holybourne to collect the oil tankers and I think the FGW unit was on the Pompey to Soton service or ex-Brighton service to somewhere.

guitardave_1

Postby guitardave_1 » Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:53 pm

Thanks for the generous comments, and from people whose pictures I know I've admired before :) Makes it worthwhile posting them. I've only been out a couple of times so far, although I've been keen on general photography for much longer. Truth be told, I do feel self conscious hanging around railway lines with my camera - such is the way society views any hobby related to trains.

Regarding the competition, I'll definitely enter something, but I'll hold fire for now in case I take anything I prefer later in the month.

PTmodeller - my camera is a Nikon D50 DSLR. It's an older model now, and people are always surprised to learn that it has 'only' 6MP!! I currently own an 18-70mm lens, and a 70-300mm telephoto. The latter was my choice for almost all the shots posted today.

MTA - thanks for that info. It certainly appears to be a FGW livery. I couldn't comment on the interior - I took a 377 to London the other day, and found it acceptable until the point when someone sat next to me!

davek - The location is in Bedhampton, near Havant. It's called Mill Lane - you'll find it on trainspots.co.uk - and it's a very quiet single track road bridge leading to a dead end with a couple of houses. You can then walk down from the bridge and along a public footpath for a few minutes to reach the trackside view.

The Mill Lane bridge can be seen behind 444003 in the first pic, as taken from the trackside spot. The SWT units passing are taken from the bridge, and on the right hand side of those shots you can see some fellow spotters utilising the trackside point.

Am I right in thinking that the 66 would sometimes have the tankers in tow on the run towards Holybourne?

davek

Postby davek » Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:26 pm

guitardave_1 wrote:Truth be told, I do feel self conscious hanging around railway lines with my camera - such is the way society views any hobby related to trains.

So do I mate and I'm old enough really not to care but I do!! :)

guitardave_1 wrote:Regarding the competition, I'll definitely enter something.

Good man, look forwards to it.

guitardave_1 wrote:The location is in Bedhampton, near Havant. It's called Mill Lane - you'll find it on trainspots.co.uk

Cheers - I must spread my wings further than the eastleigh area which dulls very quickly!

guitardave_1 wrote:Am I right in thinking that the 66 would sometimes have the tankers in tow on the run towards Holybourne?

You are correct! Wednesday's only Fawley-Holybourne, tip off's normally on WRGEN.

BrotherWolf

Postby BrotherWolf » Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:00 am

Some great pictures there, I particularly like the first one.
Click the banner for my Smugmug site

Postby 47806 » Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:49 am

Great photos, the location and the light were perfect!
Follow the Progress on my Layouts - click here.
My Railway Photography - click here.

guitardave_1

Postby guitardave_1 » Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:54 am

Thanks again for the comments. It has genuinely encouraged me to go out again and look for some other locations too.

Thanks for that info Dave - I check WRGEN quite a bit, but I'm still getting my head around what the abbreviations, headcodes etc mean. I can often take a Wednesday off from work, so hopefully I'll catch the tanks another week.

cookiescrumble

Postby cookiescrumble » Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:05 pm

The 158 could be the Hourly Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff.

Where abouts were the photos taken, that should help.

EDIT: Just read the whole thread, won't be that service.

Great photos anyways.
Follow my N gauge layouts progress here on my freewebs site: http://www.freewebs.com/mooringsway/

davek

Postby davek » Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:00 pm

guitardave_1 wrote:Thanks again for the comments. It has genuinely encouraged me to go out again and look for some other locations too.

Thanks for that info Dave - I check WRGEN quite a bit, but I'm still getting my head around what the abbreviations, headcodes etc mean. I can often take a Wednesday off from work, so hopefully I'll catch the tanks another week.

These are the workings:
6Y32 08:10 Fawley - Holybourne.
6Y33 13:54 Holybourne - Eastleigh, down as WFO (wed/Fri only).

guitardave_1

Postby guitardave_1 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:50 pm

Just a couple from today as the light was very harsh and the sun very warm!

Just one unit shot, as I was looking around to get a pic for this month's competition. This viewpoint puts the train in context quite nicely, but I couldn't avoid the signal without a lot of cropping/zooming which would detract from the scenic side of things. One week left to take something better, otherwise this will be my entry.

Something a bit more interesting - the aforementioned Holybourne-Eastleigh tanks with 66025. Too many tanks to avoid chopping off the rear of the train when running in this direction - I might have been better off back up on the bridge instead.

Last edited by guitardave_1 on Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Railway Photographs”