Review- Peco Modern Loco Shed

Enter this forum if you wish to help the growth of New Railway Modellers.
Metrocamel

Review- Peco Modern Loco Shed

Post by Metrocamel »

Peco Modern Loco Shed

Type- Kit

A must for most Layouts is to have a shed in which to store locos. Although mainly for realism it would also help keep your precious engines out of paint fading sunlight and damaging dust, even rain if you're a garden railway modeller.

This two road shed is for modern image Layouts, perhaps from the 80's to present but maybe give or take a few years (or decades...).
Each kit costs around £20 and can be used individually with options including roof vents, side vents, side windows and doors with plenty of scope for your own design. I left most of these out and have three vents and one door per side, although with current health and saftey laws I'd probably never get away with that!

The real advantage of this kit is it allows multiple units to be joined together. For example two side by side will give a four road shed and two end to end will make a longer shed for more Locos back to back, a shed could also be reduced to as much as half length. There isn't really a limit other than cost and space!
Instructions are included on how to make the modifications including which parts should be left out to make a single undivided space inside.

Other peco kits can also be integrated into the design such as the office building. The ends of the shed need not even line up either, you could have one side of a four or more road shed being two units long while the other stops short at one.

Detail is good but there isn't much to be seen on bare corrugated steel. The yellow doors come already painted with wasp stripes and open with a vertical split. Doors fit at both ends of a shed and again can be left out in multiple to create a single inside space in larger sheds.
Be sure to trim the plastic well or the doors will stick although this isn't the end of the world and can be altered easily following completion.

The shed also includes windows which should be cut from the supplied clear plastic. These are four large skylights on the roof and several optional side windows.
Weathering would be easy, something I intend on doing.
As for what you can fit inside, just about anything within Mk3 coach length or maybe a little longer. Height shouldn't be an issue and it easily took on Classes 58, 60, 66 and 50.
A good pair up of kits would be the Peco inspection pits, which look great inside. Alot of people seem to have done this.
A partition could be added inside between the tracks such as a walkway with tools or workers. Lighting would also be a good addition.

Overall these's little that can be said against this kit but as the full length walls of one unit are made up of four parts care should be taken to get them straight.
The walkways around the roof are also made of plastic, not an issue really as they're quite flexible but metal ones would be better.
If your were planning on using the shed outdoors, chances are it would be fine there too, but I couldn't say wether or not it's water tight!

Rating- 10/10

Good points- flexibility, overall looks, important railway structure.

Bad points- handrails can be flimsy.
"Out of commission become a pillbox, out of ammo become a bunker, out of time... become heroes"
Layout updated 18/10/09!
http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... 67#p215267
m8internet

Post by m8internet »

Also available in N gauge, costs about £9
Glasgow Queen Street Model Railway layout : modern image N gauge using DCC
peak

Post by peak »

Nice review Metrocamel.
I have 2 of these end to end to form one long shed.
It was easy to build with good instructions as you have said.
I modified mine as I did not want doors, So I cut away the central door pillar. There is a piece of plastic strip provided that covered up the area were I had made my cut.
You can see this on my personnel layout thread "Slightly".
I'd give this kit a mark of 10 out of 10.
2 trains, 2 railroad tracks, one going the other one coming back. Click Clack, Click Clack.
Regards
Andy

http://www.brblue.co.uk
Class 60

Post by Class 60 »

If its possible, can someone measure it up and post the length and width please :)
Thanks

Adam
Ironduke

Post by Ironduke »

And an XtrkCad Template!

nah only half joking :^)
Regards
Rob
peak

Post by peak »

Not in my shed at the moment but the Peco catalogue says it's 349mm long x 168mm wide or 13.75" x 6.625" (13 3/4" x 6 5/8")
2 trains, 2 railroad tracks, one going the other one coming back. Click Clack, Click Clack.
Regards
Andy

Class 60

Post by Class 60 »

Thanks for that Andy, it looks like it will fit in the space where i want it so i will buy one after all :)

Adam
peak

Post by peak »

I have put this pic on here for anyone to see that this kit can be modified quite easily.
The out building is scratch built.
Regards
Andy

Metrocamel

Post by Metrocamel »

Hmm, nice pic! Might have to put the handrails on mine.
Were they easy to fix on?
"Out of commission become a pillbox, out of ammo become a bunker, out of time... become heroes"
Layout updated 18/10/09!
http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... 67#p215267
peak

Post by peak »

Yes they are easy if you use the plastic cement that you can dip a brush in!
I just held the rail in place at one end and dabbed a bit of glue on (with a brush, it sets quite quickly) then fixed the other end, followed by the middle.
Regards
Andy

dr5euss

Post by dr5euss »

D'you mean Slater's Mek Pak?
peak

Post by peak »

dr5euss wrote
D'you mean Slater's Mek Pak?
The stuff I've been using is "Plastic Magic" liquid plastic cement by Deluxe Materials.
I assume other people do similar products.
Regards
Andy

Road Stone

Post by Road Stone »

peak wrote:I have put this pic on here for anyone to see that this kit can be modified quite easily.
The out building is scratch built.
That is nice,Peak. Have you painted it?

20 Quid strikes me as expensive, or am I out of touch?
I know Nothing!
peak

Post by peak »

Road Stone wrote.
That is nice,Peak. Have you painted it?
No I have not! It actually looks quite good in it's raw state!
When I gain some confidence I'll have a go at weathering the outside and painting the inside with a lower band of red and upper walls of dirty cream.
Regards
Andy

MickleoverTestTrack

Re: Review- Peco Train Shed Unit LK-80

Post by MickleoverTestTrack »

Excuse the thread resurrection, but, searching on google it is the only proper review of this product and it is still on page 1 of the google search so I think it is still relevant.

I'm just building up this kit (actually 3 of them in a row) and so far I agree with the above reviews. I chose it for the roof windows as I wanted to light it and be able to see in.

It is an old product now but I still feel a good one, the construction is of much more rigid plastics than I expected and that makes it quite robust in the main structure, I haven't got to the roof decoration yet.

To update, the price has gone up in the last 11 years. I think the rrp is £33 now for the OO scale (Peco code LK-80) and £15ish for the N-scale (code NB-80) although some online retailers have it a bit cheaper before postage.

I have found in building mine that there are enough spare parts if you buy 2 kits, to build a block of 4 (in 2x2 form) if you are prepared to fill in the roof with some flat balsa panels or thick plasticard and then paint and texture them. So you could have a an 8-loco shed for about £70.

I used Rexell Contacta professional mini to glue the plastic together.