Triangle blue pullman

Enter this forum if you wish to help the growth of New Railway Modellers.
Frankie2

Triangle blue pullman

Post by Frankie2 »

Can anyone tell me the correct silver paint colour for the roof. Mine is a 251 model with yellow front nose. Thanks
b308

Re: Triangle blue pullman

Post by b308 »

As far as I know there's only one silver paint. The only thing I'd say is that like other "metal" colours if you are using a tinlet of the stuff you have to stir it longer than solid colours so it mixes well. Get a tin and paint it on a piece of plasticard and put it alongside the existing roof to check the match.
Frankie2

Post by Frankie2 »

Thanks for the reply. I'll try it.
SRman

Post by SRman »

Sorry, but I disagree with you, b308: there are quite a few different silvers around. I found this when experimenting with the finish on my London Transport A Stock train, where I really needed a very flat, almost grey-white aluminium finish. A spray can of car paint (a Peugot silver) looked nice but not accurate, and was much more metallic in effect than Humbrol's standard silver #11 (which, I should add, tarnishes and wears badly with handling in my experience).

I am also experimenting with a Tamiya silver paint for some other jobs, in preference to the Humbrol paints. Humbrol also have a different silver labelled as 'Aluminium' (can't remember the number off-hand).

For Frankie2, I would suggest trying a few different silver paints to see which either matches the original Triang colour or satisfies you as to the finished effect if you intend to paint all of the roofs to match.
b308

Post by b308 »

Maybe true, I've only ever seen one type of silver in the shops and that's what I've bought, but once they were out in the British weather it becomes academic, especially with diesel fumes being plastered all over them... Even in model form the colour changes over time... So unless the model is ex works and not to be run then does it really matter? ;)
Dublo

Post by Dublo »

On the subject of silver paint Citadel miniatures have a variety of different silver acrylic paints. They also produce other "metal" colours.
GWR_fan

Post by GWR_fan »

From memory I used Tamiya "aluminium" in a spray can when I refurbished my old Blue Pullman set. The finish looked factory.
Dalerailman

Triangle blue pullman

Post by Dalerailman »

I used pound shop silver spray cans before though usually only round in the run up to xmas. Wilko did have a good range too
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

Roof colours are never "fixed" whether they are aluminium or white lead paint over tarred felt. Last time I saw the "British Orient Express" set of Pullmans you could work out the order of their refurbishment by looking at the roof colours. When seen from the top of the stairs at Snow Hill the roofs of the Blue Pullmans were mostly to be seen in that unique colour "British Rail Filth" as they were cleaned with hoses and brushes working along the sides. The situation still exists as coach washing plants only do the sides, exhaust pipes and OLE equipment rule out the possibility of a top brush.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
glencairn

Post by glencairn »

Bufferstop wrote: unique colour "British Rail Filth"
:lol: Love it.

I can see it now in a Humbrol (other makes as well) tin.

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.
I Cannot Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought
rebaz

Post by rebaz »

grey-white aluminium
Graduated from Soran University with First Class Degree with Honours in Computer Science
Lysander

Post by Lysander »

GWR_fan wrote:From memory I used Tamiya "aluminium" in a spray can when I refurbished my old Blue Pullman set. The finish looked factory.
Absolutely agree with the principle here. Unless you are touching up some quite small areas, not only are ‘metallic’ paints extremely difficult to apply consistently over large areas but they are also difficult to match up with existing paint. Spraying is the best solution by a country mile and, with care given to masking up, it is extremely easy to achieve a factory finish.

Tony
Men with false teeth may yet speak the truth.......