Thin wire

Enter this forum if you wish to help the growth of New Railway Modellers.
Forfarian

Thin wire

Postby Forfarian » Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:05 pm

A good source of thin wire for lighting etc - old USB printer cables. Red, black, green and white colour coding and all come in 1mtr lengths.
Tim
aka Forfarian

Campaigner

Re: Thin wire

Postby Campaigner » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:33 am

I always used alarm cable or even telephone cable, cheap enough and comes in 100mtr lengths :D

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:11 am

Alarm cable might be just about ok on small DC layouts but you need something more substantial for DCC. I don't want to sound like a Jonah but telephone cable is very thin and a solid conductor, that's too thin and too fragile for carrying power of any kind to the track, it is however very good in bundles twisted together for making the trunks and branches of trees. USB leads, telephone and earpiece cords frequently have nylon thread mixed in with the copper fibres, or are formed from a conductive layer on the outside of silk or nylon thread, to give them maximum flexibility, which makes them just about impossible to connect properly to screw, crimp or solder connectors of any kind.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

b308

Postby b308 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:10 am

I tend to avoid any single core cable for wiring, which I believe the telephone cable is.

Campaigner

Postby Campaigner » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:08 pm

Telephone cable is single, not flexible, but alarm cable is multi strand and flexible :)

Return to “Web Site Articles - Help contribute to the site”