restoring trashed loco's

Enter this forum if you wish to help the growth of New Railway Modellers.
tornado64

Re: restoring trashed loco's

Postby tornado64 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:17 am

whilst not exactly trashed it was an idea i couldn't resist last weekend , i was looking at a class 40 unfinnished kit that comprised of a quite awful resin body that once home crumbled into many pieces when i decided it was a hopeless cause !! the kit also was mountedon a mainline peak chassis

however what i'd spotted was the flush glaze , detailing parts to suit the jouef model ( there was also a jouef 40 i had had my eye on !! ) you can guess the rest !! the detailing parts prompted me to get it so a deal was struck and walked off with all for under 40 quid

this is another intended for my windsor bridge layout so will be recieving dcc sound and lights in time but on with the re modelling

buffer beam detail removed , and front detail filed off ( including the awful paint guide line ) as the detail parts are for the headcode box type

tornado64

Postby tornado64 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:28 pm

couple more projects , i get the sneaky impression that under the awful cp rail paint job of the nearest one lurks a santa fe livery so the body is now in mr muscle oven cleaner and hoping the factory paint is tough enough to survive it ( crossed fingers )

unsure what to do with the one at the rear yet but if nothing else it has pointed me towards another train maker i'd never heard of before !!! mehano looked on ebay they do some nice odball stuff

tornado64

Postby tornado64 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:37 am

the heavily painted cp logo has now been removed in mr muscle oven cleaner and lo and behold a reasonable condition union pacific livery lay beneath i have now treated to a highly thinned black wash to bring out detail although it has to be said bachmanns yellow is pretty heavily applied also !!

tornado64

Postby tornado64 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:55 pm

surprising the 47 project isn't on here baught as a slightly upgraded hornby 47 the plan was to convert to dcc with sound and lights ( all required items baught and research done work has now begun

the aim was to keep it as standard as possible whilst using for a testbed to teach myself the required electronics as it goes it is a pretty simple task ( all bar trying to get my head round ohms law for resistors ) correct resistors , LEDs , wiring and heat shrink in place work started on building up the individual LEDs

once built up it was a case of mounting ( using as much of hornbys originality as possible ) the original lights position was taken by the LED then the LED was built in position and heat shrank into position

only real alteration required was to cut into the boxes at the rear of and below the drivers / second mans seats as the chassis butts up to it there so the wire needed to be recessed

also a small blind was fabricated from thick plasticard to stop light bleed from the lightbox LED to the windscreen

i will also use a difrent method with the red LEDS on the next build as they protrude and are a little large will be altered by paint (as is i painted over with red paint to knock down the brightness a little

tornado64

Postby tornado64 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:28 pm

sourced some ( not all the decals ) for the bachmann U.P. SD40-2 now applied after some weathering !!

0121modeller
Location: Erdington, Birmingham,.... but can also be found at various railway bridges !

Postby 0121modeller » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:32 pm

Very admiral work here, I'll be watching this thread with interest :)
Scratchbuilding 4mm scale JXA scrapwagons ; - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=37620
Scratchbuilt & kit built grappler claw cranes ; - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=36342

tornado64

Postby tornado64 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:09 am

picked up some american athearn kit locos that were half built the larger ones of the 3 were in an awful red colour wich i wanted to strip but i felt wouldn't come off as by the shade and hue i felt the red was a aerosol car paint that would be unaffected by my mr muscle paint stripping technique ( i was right ) fortunately it was done well enough to preserve moulded details

there are parts missing from the larger two one to a greater degree than the other but after a chat to a couple of peeps on tother side o't pond last night i have established how to obtain spares

ironicly other projects are held up ( british model railways ) as believe it or not it is proving more difficult to source items for them than the american stuff ( go figure !! )

anyway first to be started is the baldwin s-12 switcher ( mainly because i have all the parts / decals ) it is going to be a southern pacific loco

first coat of paint is darker than required colour because i am going to be airbrushing faded paint techniques

tornado64

Postby tornado64 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:51 am

some sun fade applied to panneling ( i could realy use a finer detail airbrush ) as mine is a little large being a cheapo bargain basement brush but just ok to manage for this use

beeman
Location: Within earshot of the sea and the Paignton&Dartmouth

Postby beeman » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:02 am

Inspiration for others and very well done , credit due and earnt. Beeman.
You wo'nt find you 'CAN' unless you 'TRY'.

tornado64

Postby tornado64 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:46 am

to recap loco's taken on so far and progress

hornby 47 ( guinee pig for hardwiring sound and lights ) 99.9 % finnished ( awaiting grilles from shawplan, some thin sponge for behind grilles to disguise speaker and new tops numbers then a video will be posted

lima 31awaiting sound and lights instalation and tops numbers

hornby 0-4-0 st no progress so far may do some this afternoon

bachmann union pacific SD40-2 awaiting cab number decals and handrails painting re fitting

joueff class 40 headcode boxes fitted but a little proud awaiting bufferbeam detailing , repainting and sound/lights installing

athearn baldwin s-12 full paint and assembly also figgure out weather dcc is an option

athearne GE U33-C undecided on work yet but will probably be in burlington livery

athearn SDP-40 totaly undecided but may also end up as a burlington livery

tornado64

Postby tornado64 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:08 pm

southern pacific baldwin now painted in its livery ready to be decaled , panels were faded with lighter colours and detailing braught out with a wash of games workshop washes after coating the paint in johnstones klear to help the wash and decaling processes

tornado64

Postby tornado64 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:50 am

the baldwin s12 continues to take shape now in decals and matt coat for further weathering

tornado64

Postby tornado64 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:31 am

the baldwin s-12 is pretty near being finnished ( photos to follow ) the southern pacific did not use full leangth handrails , therefore it donated some material to make a new handrail for the U30-B saving buying ( if available ) the full set from athearn !!

tornado64

Postby tornado64 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:47 am

first one i'm calling finnished , baldwin s-12

tornado64

Postby tornado64 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:40 am

the class 40 now is comming along with a few detailing parts added

Return to “Web Site Articles - Help contribute to the site”