Flying Scotsman Review

Enter this forum if you wish to help the growth of New Railway Modellers.
suchahampal

Postby suchahampal » Mon Jan 01, 2007 8:39 pm

Oops I have given you the wrong thing!!!

:oops:

The real review:

http://www.freewebs.com/lintilly/001.doc

suchahampal

Postby suchahampal » Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:53 pm

Improved Review:

Flying Scotsman (Trainset)

DCC: No
LIGHTS: No
MOTOR: Ringfield (Tender-drive)
TRACTION TYRES: Yes (can someone confirm me on this)
PRODUCT CODE: R1039

(Picture Taken From Hattons)

The ‘Flying Scotsman’ ran famously from London to Edinburgh nonstop in 8 hours. For this train, it was fitted with a large eight-wheel tender which included a corridor connection to allow the crew to change over.

So, Hornby has decided to make a trainset of it. And it is a totally pathetic piece of trash!

First of all, it has one of those bog-standard ringfield motors, even worse, it has a tender drive! What could be worse. Running is noisy, and it can’t pull many coaches!

Secondly, the detail is poor. The builders plates aren’t even on there. All there is, is an oval shape, moulded into the plastic. The cab is just basic moulded detail. The coaches doesn’t even have that ‘charm’ that they once had.

Thirdly, it is not DCC ready, although by now, probably you just want to chuck it in the bin!

Finally, it is way overpriced. For that money, I could get a SUPER-DETAILED class 57/3 with a couple of coaches!

However, it is a classic train, and many people will still want it!

+ Classic Train, otherwise Little of Note.
- Poor drive, not DCC friendly, poor detail etc.

Overall Rating: 2.5/10

Not Recommended – Poor

Review by ‘Suchahampal’

bunji

Postby bunji » Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:02 pm

Interesting...

I suppose that's what Hornby's really doing nowadays - releasing lower quality stock in sets rather than for individual locos. If you take that DCC set, for example, the 08 diesel shunter looks like it has the chassis from a Jinty or something (don't know the technical term.) I guess its because sets are generally aimed at the newer end of the market for people/children just starting in railway modelling. I still think its silly though - that could be the first experience of model railways and it wouldnt be a nice one.

Re the expensive price, I'd imagined Hornby jacked the price up as it includes track and and controllers, which first time buyers might not know the true value of.

dr5euss

Postby dr5euss » Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:17 pm

bunji wrote:If you take that DCC set, for example, the 08 diesel shunter looks like it has the chassis from a Jinty or something (don't know the technical term.)

I emailed Hornby and it's actually got the new all singing, all dancing 08 in it. I guess the similarity comes from the fact they both have 6 wheels :wink:

bunji wrote:Re the expensive price, I'd imagined Hornby jacked the price up as it includes track and and controllers, which first time buyers might not know the true value of.

It's actually cheaper to buy things in a set, though I don't know why. You get 3 (crappy?) coaches, a crappy loco, 2 crappy points, some crappy track and an average controller.... :)

suchahampal

Postby suchahampal » Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:21 pm

dr5euss wrote:(crappy?)

[K9]Affirmative![/K9]

:)

bunji

Postby bunji » Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:30 pm

dr5euss wrote:I emailed Hornby and it's actually got the new all singing, all dancing 08 in it. I guess the similarity comes from the fact they both have 6 wheels :wink:

Sorry, should have clarified:

Odd looking chassis

Nice looking chassis

dr5euss wrote:It's actually cheaper to buy things in a set, though I don't know why. You get 3 (crappy?) coaches, a crappy loco, 2 crappy points, some crappy track and an average controller.... :)

Precisely my point. With the set aimed at first time buyers who dont know the value of Hornby's well loved (he says, tongue in cheek) track, it could seem like a bargain. Hornby could make a tidy bundle.

Andrew Morrow

Postby Andrew Morrow » Thu Feb 08, 2007 5:15 pm

I was sucked into buying the set! but luckly for me the train died after a few days and I was sent the newer version of the train, its the loco drive scotsman, I dont know anything about details but all i will say is the train runs much much better Hornby points are no longer a problem, as long as the track is layed right I have had no problems.

leopard

Postby leopard » Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:55 am

I actually got the older version of this set, with four coaches.

yes its tender drive.. this matters why exactly? as for no power, well I have a total of 13 coaches, it manages that lot ok so it can move.

detailing? well I don't have much to compare it to, but i bought it to move not look at so I'm not that bothered.

for the price (130) it got me the loco, a bit of track, a controller and some coaches.

and enough points to tell me I don't like the hornby ones (don't like the look they work fine).

the only let down is the coaches being a ploastic colour and no a teak colour (I'll be repainting them). given i got a 10% discount when I got this, and the rest of the coaches new and unboxed for a tenner each along with a second loco for a tenner I'm not complaining.

the fun will be re-wheeling it to P4 standards..

I doubt it will ever be the best looking loco i have, once i have a few more, but as a set I'm happy with it

Peanuts

Postby Peanuts » Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:26 pm

http://www.ifranview.com its free, and works wonders with pics

redline41190

Postby redline41190 » Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:22 pm

just to echo...
I have noticed that the sets that hornby offers are of a lesser standard than Bachmann, which is why all of my locos and stock are Bachmann :D. Ive had a look at some of the individual locos too, and they are not great either, the Castle class' valve gear is plastic! (I think :?) seems kinda iffy to me... alot of their locos are loud, and the tender drive is definitely a down side. Ive got a Thomas 0-6-0 from 1992 and while it is one of the best engines ive owned it has also been the loudest. But I guess its to be expected in this age of rising prices and worse quality :P

just my two cents

Jeremy
There are two ways to do things... The Great Western way, and the wrong way.

PTmodeller

Postby PTmodeller » Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:53 pm

Bachmann uses it's real range in sets, while Hornby tend to use older toolings. The sets are toys really.

Return to “Web Site Articles - Help contribute to the site”