Prototypical goods yard masterclass

Enter this forum if you wish to help the growth of New Railway Modellers.
TheFreightMaster123

Prototypical goods yard masterclass

Post by TheFreightMaster123 »

Hi,
Welcome to this masterclass in the umms and ahhs of buildig a prototypical good yard. Please note that this is a guide to a prototypical goods yard rather than one with lots of operating interest, so you will have to find the compromise you require on your own.

Anyway, onto the lesson!

Take a look at this plan:
How many things can you spot wrong with it?
I will post again in a few hours and tell you, but until then guess away!

Cam
P.S yes, I will post some info, don't worry, this is just a starting question.
Official Wagonaholic
Davidm wrote:Remember, that at our scale of 2mm/ft, 0.1mm is approximately equal to 2”, and a Super Voyager would fly if it hit that at 90 mph.
One of NRM's 2 official Freight masters PM if interested in joining the Freight Crew.
Lofty

Re: Prototypical goods yard masterclass

Post by Lofty »

TheFreightMaster123 wrote:I will post again in a few hours and tell you,
It has been 24 hours...

The suspense is killing me
ste234

Post by ste234 »

lack of a headshunt..
'Springfield', N gauge Modern Era Layout
Sprintex

Post by Sprintex »

Lack of giving a toss more like :lol:

Paul
TheFreightMaster123

Post by TheFreightMaster123 »

lofty wrote:
TheFreightMaster123 wrote:I will post again in a few hours and tell you,
It has been 24 hours...

The suspense is killing me
Lol I was just waiting for some replies!

Ok. So, the problems with this Goods yard:
Coal bins. These were only on large goods yards and even then were far from the tracks.
No cattle dock. This should be in every coutryside goods yard, because every single village needed one.
Facing Point on the mainline. The railway companies hated these, as they could easily go wrong and then a fast passenger train would run into the goods yard and cause a huge accident. This would more likely be a trailing point on the downline with a single (but not double) slip.
Goods shed. This would likely be in the middle of the siding, as thy were much easier to shunt this way.
No Trap Point. This is a short spur off the line to stop wagons rolling onto the mainline. It featured on all goods Yards, Unless a kickback siding was present to stop the wagons running onto the mainline.

Cam
P.S I'll post a new plan with improvements made tommorow.
Official Wagonaholic
Davidm wrote:Remember, that at our scale of 2mm/ft, 0.1mm is approximately equal to 2”, and a Super Voyager would fly if it hit that at 90 mph.
One of NRM's 2 official Freight masters PM if interested in joining the Freight Crew.
Dead Man's Handle

Post by Dead Man's Handle »

Hi Cam,

I think it'd be a good idea to label your plans. You didn't tell us what era it's supposed to be or what sort of place it is. You've told us it's wrong to not have a cattle dock, because every countryside goods yard needed one, but you didn't tell us it was supposed to be a countryside goods yard in the first place. I guess most people would assume the item on your plan is a coal bin, but again it'd be better to label it. Also, I'm not totally convinced by your statement that they would only be present at large goods yards, and always far from the tracks. A quick glace at a C.J. Freezer article I happen to have here tells me "...any steam age goods yard had at least one long siding entirely devoted to coal. The usual arrangement was... the line of coal bins... flanking the siding".

The goods shed isn't labelled, although most people would assume that's what it is, but what is the building on the left? And you didn't actually state that the lines at the bottom are a mainline.

Maybe you could include some real-world examples to back up your statements - that would make interesting reading/ viewing.

Ade
My bits and pieces

Dole scrubbers build 'em best!
sishades

Post by sishades »

I have a large goods yard on my layout serving a very large warehouse, and no cattle dock. It all comes down to personal preferences really.
High towards the far post,Howard with a header,Hes done it!Steve Howard has scored for Leicester City,Bedlam here at the Walkers Stadium. the Leeds United players are flat out on the turf in utter despair. Leicester City are going to win again
theustrainman

Post by theustrainman »

Bump!
Really important subject for new railway modellers this, how many have started with the Hornby train set with a siding? The first goods yard!

Lets not dig here as its an information station (forgive the pun)

Goods yards vary so much across the world that all input should be welcome. Here is mine:

Every model railroad goods or freight yard off a main line should have a lead( or headshunt) track of at least the length of the longest siding. then you can happily shunt wagons all day while the main line is not blocked. Branch termini of course will not require one but a derail should be provided unless it's at the bottom of an incline. The derail is to prevent wagons running down the branch!

A derail should be provided as previously stated on the main line access track unless the headshunt covers the situation.

Space for road access to the unloading tracks should be provided, either between or to one side. (remember that a road vehicle needs space to turn)
Larger yards need access BOTH sides of parallel twin tracks.

Marshalling yards of course are a different fish kettle as no loading/unloading is done there, but even more reason to add a long headshunt AND you don't normally find these on branch lines.

Goods sheds, mm a problem here, normally found close to the road access to the passenger facility or in the case of the passenger station being separate from the yard then convenient for road access on the opposite side to the track. Not very often found in the middle of the yard unless its a transfer shed and then not a goods shed at all! Same goes for the cattle dock or milk dock. Wide road access needed.

Coal staiths, essential for most small town yards, not always away from the track as coal was shovelled from the wagon straight into the staiths by hand!

I hope all useful info here
luckymucklebackit

Post by luckymucklebackit »

Surprised nobody has mentioned one very important item - a crane, absolutely essential for loading and unloading large items.
Have a look at this map - it shows the layout at Strathpeffer (Highland Railway). It breaks a few of the "rules"
http://maps.nls.uk/view/82902618 The map is not 100% accurate, as it omits a release crossover in the passenger station, another essential if there is not a separate loop line in the yard.
Having looked at a few locations, I have come to the conclusion that there was no such thing as a "typical yard" - each was built to the traffic requirements of the location, and they differed significantly

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge
theustrainman

Post by theustrainman »

I won't post an PDF of Barstow Yard, USA, Its the complete opposite. Hundreds of Yard tracks in parallel, however The crane is something important, Well remembered LMB. Sometimes it would be just a lorry based one, called in for a big lift.