Triangle blue pullman

Enter this forum if you wish to help the growth of New Railway Modellers.
Frankie2

Triangle blue pullman

Postby Frankie2 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:59 pm

Can anyone tell me the correct silver paint colour for the roof. Mine is a 251 model with yellow front nose. Thanks

b308

Re: Triangle blue pullman

Postby b308 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:16 pm

As far as I know there's only one silver paint. The only thing I'd say is that like other "metal" colours if you are using a tinlet of the stuff you have to stir it longer than solid colours so it mixes well. Get a tin and paint it on a piece of plasticard and put it alongside the existing roof to check the match.

Frankie2

Postby Frankie2 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:20 pm

Thanks for the reply. I'll try it.

SRman

Postby SRman » Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:03 am

Sorry, but I disagree with you, b308: there are quite a few different silvers around. I found this when experimenting with the finish on my London Transport A Stock train, where I really needed a very flat, almost grey-white aluminium finish. A spray can of car paint (a Peugot silver) looked nice but not accurate, and was much more metallic in effect than Humbrol's standard silver #11 (which, I should add, tarnishes and wears badly with handling in my experience).

I am also experimenting with a Tamiya silver paint for some other jobs, in preference to the Humbrol paints. Humbrol also have a different silver labelled as 'Aluminium' (can't remember the number off-hand).

For Frankie2, I would suggest trying a few different silver paints to see which either matches the original Triang colour or satisfies you as to the finished effect if you intend to paint all of the roofs to match.

b308

Postby b308 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:00 am

Maybe true, I've only ever seen one type of silver in the shops and that's what I've bought, but once they were out in the British weather it becomes academic, especially with diesel fumes being plastered all over them... Even in model form the colour changes over time... So unless the model is ex works and not to be run then does it really matter? ;)

Dublo

Postby Dublo » Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:33 pm

On the subject of silver paint Citadel miniatures have a variety of different silver acrylic paints. They also produce other "metal" colours.

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:12 pm

From memory I used Tamiya "aluminium" in a spray can when I refurbished my old Blue Pullman set. The finish looked factory.

Return to “Web Site Articles - Help contribute to the site”